Windows 10: Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Discus and support Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Last update of Windows 10 changed all my .pdf default to open with MS Edge. I do not want to use MS Edge, because I open .pdf documents from inside... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nevermind, Nov 18, 2018.

1. nevermind Win User

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Last update of Windows 10 changed all my .pdf default to open with MS Edge. I do not want to use MS Edge, because I open .pdf documents from inside applications and MS Edge is not a full-fledged .pdf editor. With Edge, you cannot add pages, combine pages and and add comments among other features absent from Edge. To add insult to injury, I cannot change the default back to Adobe Acrobat 8.1. In settings, when I try to change the default by file type, Windows does not allow to change the file to anything else but MS Edge. If I try to change the properties of a file, the option "Open with" is not even displayed. Anyone has any idea what the problem is and how to fix it? Did Microsoft just block the Adobe Acrobat?

:)

nevermind, Nov 18, 2018

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

Community: Acrobat Reader | Adobe Community

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 18, 2018
  3. Adobe Acrobat Reader (AAR) prevented as Default PDF file Opener

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Since when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to set default applications by file type from Windows settings. Follow the steps mentioned below:-

1. Tap on Windows + I on the keyboard.

2. Click on Apps.

3. Select Default apps option.

4. Select Choose
    default app by file type.

5. Next to .pdf choose a default application as
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

If the issue still persists try to Set Acrobat or Reader as the default PDF owner. Refer the following link steps to

set Acrobat or reader as the default PDF owner

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Wynona Win User

change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

Have you set your default PDF reader to Nuance Power PDF Advanced?

Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Choose default apps by file type>scroll down to .pdf on the left side of your screen, then click on the default app (most likely Edge). A list of available PDF reading apps should show up . . . click on your Nuance PDF reader and select it as your default. As you can see, I use Adobe Reader. *Smile

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files [​IMG]

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files [​IMG]

Wynona, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files - Similar Threads - able set default

2. Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...: HelloI just need to know if I can set Adobe Acrobat as default application for opening and editing PDF files, and set another program such as Netro or Xchange Viewer for perviewing files in windows explorer and Outlook. I am using Window 11, I was was able to do this in...
  3. Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...: HelloI just need to know if I can set Adobe Acrobat as default application for opening and editing PDF files, and set another program such as Netro or Xchange Viewer for perviewing files in windows explorer and Outlook. I am using Window 11, I was was able to do this in...
  4. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  5. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  6. Open PDF with Adobe Acrobat

Open PDF with Adobe Acrobat: I am using Windows 10, version 10.0.19042 Every time I open a pdf with Adobe Acrobat a window pops up and asks if I want to set Adobe as my default. I say yes and the window closes. If I check settings by file type, I see my preference has been changed to MS Edge. I change it...
  7. Open PDF with Adobe Acrobat

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Open PDF with Adobe Acrobat: I am using Windows 10, version 10.0.19042 Every time I open a pdf with Adobe Acrobat a window pops up and asks if I want to set Adobe as my default. I say yes and the window closes. If I check settings by file type, I see my preference has been changed to MS Edge. I change it...
  8. Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files: [ATTACH] Hi, I would like to set Firefox as the default app to open .pdf files, but when I go to the default apps tab in the settings I can't see it in the options listed and I have no possibility to use the file explorer to manually set it, the only other option beside...
  9. Adobe Acrobat Reader (AAR) prevented as Default PDF file Opener

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adobe Acrobat Reader (AAR) prevented as Default PDF file Opener: I had Microsoft Edge as default reader on my Win 10 HP laptop and am NOT able to choose AAR as the default even after resetting the Edge app and removing it from the default position. I can choose AAR for PDFxml files but NOT straight PDF files. Others have had the same...
  10. Adobe PDF & Microsoft Print to PDF?

Adobe PDF & Microsoft Print to PDF?: I've got Adobe CS5, which comes with Adobe PDF Printer, however it doesn't seem to work anymore. It prompts for a location, then does nothing. I would happily use Microsoft Print to PDF, but I can't tell it where to save the document. They are currently saved in what used...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change pdf default app to adobe 8.1

2. adobe 8.1 is not setting as default