Windows 10: Not able to share across home network Windows 10

Discus and support Not able to share across home network Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three Windows 10 computers on my home network; two are connected by wifi and the third is connected to the router by an ethernet cable. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gideonse, Dec 29, 2020.

1. gideonse Win User

Not able to share across home network Windows 10

I have three Windows 10 computers on my home network; two are connected by wifi and the third is connected to the router by an ethernet cable. All three of the computers can see each other on the network, but they all refuse connect to each for share folders or printers. Two of the computers demand network authentication with login names and passwords, but I have never set up network credentials and the Windows/Microsoft username and password I use to login to each computer does not work. The third computer does not ask for the authentication; it just gives the notification that I do not have access to the computer and need to ask my network administrator for permission.

I have done the following on all of the computers:

1. Turned on network discovery and folder and printer sharing on the private, guest, and public networks.
    2. Turned off password protected sharing.
    3. Uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapters
    4. Done network resets
    5. Gone to optionalfeatures.exe and ticked on the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and off Automatic Removal and Server
    6. Run the network troubleshooters over and over again.

All of the machines are using Windows Defender for antivirus and firewalls, and all of them are updated to the latest Windows version.

I don't know if it's worth noting, but both AnyDesk and OneDrive work just fine all of the machines.

So, I am mystified. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

:)

gideonse, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Not able to share files over network after an windows update.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please note that Home network feature has been removed from Windows 10 (1803 and later builds). So could you please help me with the following:

1. Which version of Windows 10 are you using?
    Note: To check the version of windows, open run dialog box (by pressing Windows key + R) and type “Winver”.

2. What is the exact error message you are getting??

Here is an alternate that you can use. We have a feature called Map a drive to share files on computers on same network. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Step 1: Re-map the drive: Here is article to help to map the drive:
    Map a network drive.If you are not able
    to view any of your computers from the other computer then follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled (make sure that this feature is enabled on all the computer connected to this network).

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.

4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.

5. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
    it again.

6. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if the services are running:

1. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.
    2. The names of the services which you will need to check are:

• Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    3. Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.

4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service.

Now you should be able to use the map a drive feature to share files.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Cannot open network and sharing center in windows 10

Hi Aman,

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• Do you get any error message, when trying to open network and sharing center?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to fix the issue.

Method 1: Install all the Windows 10 pending updates and check if it helps.

I suggest you check for the pending updates in resolving the issue.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Windows 10 will automatically install all the pending updates.
    If the issue still persist, suggest you to try the below step to fix the issue.

Method 2: I suggest you to
    Run the DISM Tool and check.

The DISM tool checks the system health and will try to restore the files.

• Right click on the Start button, click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the
      Enter key after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Reference: I suggest you to follow the steps recommended in the below article for any network connection issues.

Fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Not able to share across home network Windows 10

Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Not able to share across home network Windows 10

1. Not able to share across home network Windows 10 - Similar Threads - able share across

2. Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network: Somehow, I seem to have enabled shared icons across my home network. I have two windows 10 PCs and when I add a desktop icon on one PC it appears on the other PC. However, I use different apps on each PC and the extra icons are useless. Also, when I delete an unwanted icon...
  3. Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network: Somehow, I seem to have enabled shared icons across my home network. I have two windows 10 PCs and when I add a desktop icon on one PC it appears on the other PC. However, I use different apps on each PC and the extra icons are useless. Also, when I delete an unwanted icon...
  4. Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to share folder across for computers on a network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to share folder across for computers on a network: We have gotten a MyBook for shared file access in our office, how can we provide full permissions to all users in the office? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-share-folder-across-for-computers-on-a/ae610736-ac18-4c5f-b109-97f4af526018"
  6. Sharing Folders Across My Home Network Devices

Sharing Folders Across My Home Network Devices: I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop all using Windows 10. The laptops will share files, but the desktop won’t. I am no computer expert, but I know enough to figure out how to configure the sharing of folders. I’ll admit that I don’t know how to configure a lot of the security...
  7. Sharing Files - Home Network - Window 10

Sharing Files - Home Network - Window 10: I have a a TP-Link router that I have a hard drive (HHD) connected. Within my home network, my Smart TVs, Android Tablets, and Windows 8 Laptops can see the HHD no problem. My Windows 10 machine is not able to see it. The Win 10 machine file explorer: - Under Computer it...
  8. How can I share folders and files across my Home Network?

How can I share folders and files across my Home Network?: I have 3 windows 10 devices in my network (1 PC and 2 Laptops). To the best of my knowledge and ability, they are configured exactly the same. I am the owner of all the folders/files. Device A (PC) can see device B but can't access it. Device A (PC) can see device C, can...
  9. Windows 10 home network / file sharing

Windows 10 home network / file sharing: This is an extension of a thread of the same name in Feb 2019. I've been away for the last 2 weeks and now find I cannot reply on the earlier thread. So I'll start again with an expanded version of the problem. I have 3 Windows 10 computers connected over a wifi...
  10. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....