Windows 10: not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free

Discus and support not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some of windows system files got corrupted so i did recover it through recovery drive. Everything was fine until i knew that Windows C: is taking up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ShivamK, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ShivamK Win User

not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free

Some of windows system files got corrupted so i did recover it through recovery drive. Everything was fine until i knew that Windows C: is taking up 500GB of my disk space. I tried shrinking it but it's showing " available space on drive for shrinking : 0mb "..... Total space : 500gb. Used space : 40gb. Free space : 460gb. Why can't i shrink C: and make use of the free space ?. Is there anything wrong with recovery i've done ? Is there any SAFE WAY to shrink it ? Please give some solutions.

P.s. : Earlier (before recovery) , C: was allocated around 200gb and was working fine.

:)

ShivamK, Mar 4, 2019

2. Cannot shrink C: partition: Not enough space

Try launching the Event Viewer to see which individual files are blocking the partition shrink.

1. Once again, attempt to shrink the partition. You should get the "There is not enough space" error.
    2. Launch Windows' Event Viewer application.
    3. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs > Application.
    4. Find and Click a recent log of type Warning. It should have the message, "Error: during volume shrink initiated on volume Windows (Cnot able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free :) we failed to move a movable file extent." (screenshot)
    5. The Diagnostic details will give you the name of the "last unmovable file"
    6. Delete this file (Simply send to recycle bin. I did not need a hard delete).
    7. Try shrinking your volume again.
    8. Repeat steps 2-7 until you successfully shrink your partition. (In my case, I had to do this 3 times, as I had 3 pdf files in my local Google Drive that were for some reason stuck as 'unmovable'.).
    9. Restore your deleted files.

CAUTION:
    Make sure you know what you are deleting! In my case, I knew that these pdf files were:

1. Not system files
    2. Easy to download again if they became lost

misterschmitz, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Mar 4, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (Cnot able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

1. not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free - Similar Threads - able shrink though

2. OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space: Hi there,I am trying to sync a file about 10MB to my OneDrive but it's not working.The OneDrive app shows "Couldn't upload file" with "You don't have enough space for this file." even though it says "15.3GB used of 125 GB".If i click Sync issues above, the following message...
  3. OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space: Hi there,I am trying to sync a file about 10MB to my OneDrive but it's not working.The OneDrive app shows "Couldn't upload file" with "You don't have enough space for this file." even though it says "15.3GB used of 125 GB".If i click Sync issues above, the following message...
  4. Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space: Hi all,I am currently trying to install games from steam, but I'm encountering an error message indicating that I don't have sufficient disk space.However, I have approximately 600 GB on disk G and 1.2 TB on disk M.I am perplexed as to why I am unable to install a 75GB game...
  5. Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space

Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space: Hi all,I am currently trying to install games from steam, but I'm encountering an error message indicating that I don't have sufficient disk space.However, I have approximately 600 GB on disk G and 1.2 TB on disk M.I am perplexed as to why I am unable to install a 75GB game...
  6. Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?

Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?: I wanted to create a Dual boot for windows 10 and ubuntu but when I tried to shrink my partition to create some space to install ubuntu. I couldn't shrink the partition even though I have a lot of storage available. Any ways to solve this? Os: windows 10....
  7. Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't I shrink my C drive with all of the space free?: I wanted to create a Dual boot for windows 10 and ubuntu but when I tried to shrink my partition to create some space to install ubuntu. I couldn't shrink the partition even though I have a lot of storage available. Any ways to solve this? Os: windows 10....
  8. I am not able to shrink free space from my C drive , even when it shows 189 GB free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am not able to shrink free space from my C drive , even when it shows 189 GB free ?: I wanted to free up space from my C Drive so that I can install ubuntu in the free partition , but when I clicked on the C Drive in the disk management to shrink free space , it shows me only 7000 mb available even when it shows 118 GB free . Can you please suggest me some...
  9. I am not able to shrink free space from my C drive , even when it shows 189 GB free ?

I am not able to shrink free space from my C drive , even when it shows 189 GB free ?: I wanted to free up space from my C Drive so that I can install ubuntu in the free partition , but when I clicked on the C Drive in the disk management to shrink free space , it shows me only 7000 mb available even when it shows 118 GB free . Can you please suggest me some...
  10. Free Space opn C: Drive Consistently Shrinking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free Space opn C: Drive Consistently Shrinking: Hello all. I've a good bit of info to get through, so please forgive me.I used to use a Seagate 2TB HDD as my primary drive, partitioned three different ways. I upgraded to a Crucial 1TB SSD about a couple weeks ago now. When I noticed some odd behavior both in the back-up of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error: during volume shrink initiated on volume we failed to move a movable file extent

2. why cant i shrink hard disk even though i have a lot of free space