Windows 10: Not applicable to this computer?

Discus and support Not applicable to this computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Two of my windows 10 machines have successfully updated to the latest update. Two have not. One is a 32 bit PC The other is a 64 bit laptop I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Skofab, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Not applicable to this computer?

Two of my windows 10 machines have successfully updated to the latest update.

Two have not.
    One is a 32 bit PC
    The other is a 64 bit laptop
    I have downloaded KB4040724, (both versions) and attempted to install, but without success.
    In each case the following message occurs....
    This is not applicable to this computer (or words to that effect)

Your help appreciated..thanks in advance
    C

:)

Skofab, Nov 1, 2017

2. Windows update error: This update is not applicable to your computer

I have windows 10 version 1607 (build 14393.1066). I wanted to update to the latest which is 1706 (build 15063.250). I tried windows update but it replied "You've installed the latest update", but when I downloaded the windows update tool, it detected a
    new version.

My problem is, I have downloaded an offline version of kb4015217, kb4015583, kb4016420 and kb4016251 which all should have installed fine without problems but instead the installation reports with an error " This update is not applicable to your computer".

Can anyone please tell me how to update my PC without using the update tool?

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

mikeache2015, Nov 1, 2017
  3. Windows update error: This update is not applicable to your computer

You got the tool from here...?...

Download Windows 10

Download Windows 10

You should follow the instructions there to make installation media. Ensure it matches the architecture of the system on which you will install it - but that is automatic, if you make it on that machine. Currently, you will get version 1703 there. Installation
    media is essential to do a fresh install. Also, it has a recovery environment you could use should things go very bad.

Then, follow the instructions at that site to either update to 1703 or fresh install it. Either way, you should make a system image backup to an external hard drive before starting. Updates & my one fresh install have always gone well for me - but there
    are many threads in which they have gone bad.

I like my fresh install best. It was over in 25/so minutes. Be prepared to input your Wi-Fi password (written on the router) or to press the button on the router. The Microsoft account password is also required. If you have a digital license, no product
    key is required or even requested.

Why are you downloading updates? Let Windows Update do that. The first you mention goes with 1607. The other three are for 1703, as seen here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124

Windows 10 update history

PCR Just PCR, Nov 1, 2017
  4. Not applicable to this computer?

I had the same problem with that particular KB update to only find that one of my computers (laptop) wasn't running the Fall Creators Update. I had to first manually install the Fall Creators Update and then check for updates. I have no idea why the automatic updates didn't upgrade the laptop to the latest build; but when I found that was the problem, all updates afterwards installed correctly.

EyeInTheSky, Nov 1, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    This message can occur if the update you try to install is for a different version of Windows 10 from the one the PC is running. KB4040724 is for version 1703, os build 15063. What version of Windows 10 do the two PCs have? Run Winver to find out. Maybe they updated to Fall Creators Update, version 1709, os build 16299 without you noticing.

Anyway, why are you trying to install September's update? It's not the latest one. A new cumulative update was issued in October which included all September's fixes (then some more - and November's one is due out in five days). The 'not applicable' message may also mean they are running 1703, but already have a newer update than the one you are trying to install.

I'd run Winver on all your machines, just to be sure they're up to date. They are only up to date if they are running version 1703, os build 15063.674 (for the Creators Update) or version 1709, os build 16299.19 (Fall Creators Update).

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Not applicable to this computer?

1. Not applicable to this computer? - Similar Threads - applicable computer

2. How do i find where an image editing application is located on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i find where an image editing application is located on my computer?: I'm trying to edit a document with Acrobat but now before it edits the image, this message pops up "Before editing an image from Acrobat, go to the Content Editing Panel in Preferences and click Choose Image Editor to indicate where an image editing application for example,...
  3. How do i find where an image editing application is located on my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i find where an image editing application is located on my computer?: I'm trying to edit a document with Acrobat but now before it edits the image, this message pops up "Before editing an image from Acrobat, go to the Content Editing Panel in Preferences and click Choose Image Editor to indicate where an image editing application for example,...
  4. Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications: I’ve lately ran into the problem of the Discord application using way to much CPU then normal around 25% in Task Manager and also making my computer slow down my cursor to then basically freeze all my applications. What’s strange is that this is only happening when I’m on a...
  5. Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications

Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications: I’ve lately ran into the problem of the Discord application using way to much CPU then normal around 25% in Task Manager and also making my computer slow down my cursor to then basically freeze all my applications. What’s strange is that this is only happening when I’m on a...
  6. Discord freezes my computer when in a call and using certain applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. My computer black screens and briefly freezes when trying to launch some applications and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer black screens and briefly freezes when trying to launch some applications and...: When I launch applications like Discord or Steam, they will cause both of my monitors to go black and my computer to briefly freeze before finally opening. And when I try to launch some videogames, like Fortnite, Overwatch 2, or Red Dead Redemption 2 it will do the same...
  8. My computer black screens and briefly freezes when trying to launch some applications and...

My computer black screens and briefly freezes when trying to launch some applications and...: When I launch applications like Discord or Steam, they will cause both of my monitors to go black and my computer to briefly freeze before finally opening. And when I try to launch some videogames, like Fortnite, Overwatch 2, or Red Dead Redemption 2 it will do the same...
  9. My computer will not open applications like discord and has failures when shutting down...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer will not open applications like discord and has failures when shutting down...: My computer was working fine but a few days without using it and when I booted it up there were weird errors. The opening of Discord has a failure to open and will eventually show the following error with status 0xc000012f. It then wont let discord or a few other applications...
  10. My computer will not open applications like discord and has failures when shutting down...

My computer will not open applications like discord and has failures when shutting down...: My computer was working fine but a few days without using it and when I booted it up there were weird errors. The opening of Discord has a failure to open and will eventually show the following error with status 0xc000012f. It then wont let discord or a few other applications...