Windows 10: Not being able to boot from an external SSD

Discus and support Not being able to boot from an external SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I extracted the M.2 SATA SSD from my desktop computer at work, in order for me to be able to work at home from that system. And inserted it into a SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AskWhyButNotMe, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Not being able to boot from an external SSD

I extracted the M.2 SATA SSD from my desktop computer at work, in order for me to be able to work at home from that system. And inserted it into a SSD adaptor and then into my laptop, then booted the windows from the SSD and everything was fine (2 times). Arrived home and then inserted the SSD (with the adaptor) into my home laptop, it didn't work at the beginning and it booted into recovery mode, but after some messing around in the bios, managed to boot it normally. Tried to recreate it 10 minutes after, kept booting to a screen with error 0xc0000185. Then I tried inserting it into my first laptop and same thing happened. Tried to insert the SSD after I booted my personal Windows, it was freaking out (explorer crashing and not being able to turn off/restart the laptop) and recognized only the non-system partition, and disk partition didn't even want to start. Tried to insert a USB with Windows 10 on it to boot into recovery but it gets stuck in a loading loop. I'm pretty desperate at this point, and I need to be able to boot that Windows (or in the worse case recover the file from Desktop/Download and the other partition).

submitted by /u/AskWhyButNotMe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AskWhyButNotMe, Feb 14, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Installation not Working. (SSD not booting afterwards)

Hi Bradley,

Not being able to boot Windows 10 from an SSD could be caused by system files that got corrupted during the installation or the boot priority of your computer needs to be altered. To resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any error messages that showed up when you attempted to boot Windows 10 from the SSD?
    • Have you tried to configure your BIOS to UEFI mode instead of AHCI?
    • Are you using an internal SSD or an external SSD?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 did you install on the SSD?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Not being able to boot from an external SSD

After Installing an SSD my computer won't boot unless I disconnect my external drive

Hi Richard,

We'd like to request for additional details about the boot issue while the SSD is installed on your PC. Please answer the following:

• What is the make and model of your SSD?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you tried the SSD on a different PC and experience no issue?
    • Are you getting an error code or message?
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Not being able to boot from an external SSD

1. Not being able to boot from an external SSD - Similar Threads - being able boot

2. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  3. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  4. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I found out being able to use a external SSD device to download and then be able to play...

I found out being able to use a external SSD device to download and then be able to play...: hello Jaspreet Singh,I went to a SSD site that sells the ssd external drives and this is what he typed back to me about being able to download and then play the game from the ssd external drive. He said, Concerning the games, again this depends on the game or game client in...
  6. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  7. Not being able to boot into the bios

Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  8. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installing/Booting from external SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing/Booting from external SSD: Dear All, sorry for this noob question, but I couldn’t find any good up to date sources and my last information is that it is problematic: Is it possible/easy to install and boot Windows10 from an external SSD connected to USB-C? If yes, are there any down-takes? And Good...
  10. M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.: Good morning all Think this is my first post here, I recently upgraded my pc and I am having trouble installing windows 10 home on an Evo 500gig ssd m.2, the motherboard etc supports the m.2 but when I go into boot drive etc and choose to boot from disk, windows lists my...