Windows 10: Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

Discus and support Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since I updated recently to Windows 10 1909, I haven't been able to type in any windows related apps but i can still type in any other programs. Could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mateo Itur, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

Since I updated recently to Windows 10 1909, I haven't been able to type in any windows related apps but i can still type in any other programs. Could someone please help me solve this issue.

:)

Mateo Itur, Mar 21, 2020

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Mar 21, 2020
  3. SamRick Win User
    Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

Thank you, Caledon Ken and Dalchina, for giving me your time to help me sort this out.

Following on from Ken's additional post about getting more out of the Windows troubleshooter functions, I opened 'View All', and selected 'Windows Store Apps' to examine. Attached are two screen clips of the results;
    1) 'Windows Store cache may be damaged', after resetting and opening the Store app, in which window, by the way, I could not type in the search box, as described earlier.
    2) Another confirmation of the same.

This suggests to me that somewhere around the working of this cache may be where the problem lies. I don't know, but I wonder if the other functions of Windows that aren't working properly are related to the Windows Store in some way - 'Start' and 'Search'. Can either of you confirm that?

Clearly, at least as the first step, this cache needs cleaning up. Have you any ideas as to how to do that? I'd really like to avoid having to do a Windows reinstall if I can, for very obvious reasons.

Thanks
    Sam

SamRick, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

1. Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings... - Similar Threads - being able type

2. Not being able to type diacritics.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to type diacritics.: I use the Afrikaans keyboard but I can't seem to type diacritics with it? I went to the windows page where it showed the shortcuts for diacritics but they simply do not work for me I am on win10 btw, any help? Because it's annoying needing to google and copypaste characters...
  3. Not being able to type diacritics.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not being able to type diacritics.: I use the Afrikaans keyboard but I can't seem to type diacritics with it? I went to the windows page where it showed the shortcuts for diacritics but they simply do not work for me I am on win10 btw, any help? Because it's annoying needing to google and copypaste characters...
  4. Not being able to type diacritics.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. WINDOWS 11 - I can't type in any windows related apps/functions wifi passwords, search bar,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 11 - I can't type in any windows related apps/functions wifi passwords, search bar,...: As the tittle reads, I cannot write in any of the windows 11 related functions. The rest works normallyI would very much appreciate your help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-i-cant-type-in-any-windows-related/5f24f05c-d4c2-49b1-bf2e-429038b3ae7b
  6. WINDOWS 11 - I can't type in any windows related apps/functions wifi passwords, search bar,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 11 - I can't type in any windows related apps/functions wifi passwords, search bar,...: As the tittle reads, I cannot write in any of the windows 11 related functions. The rest works normallyI would very much appreciate your help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-i-cant-type-in-any-windows-related/5f24f05c-d4c2-49b1-bf2e-429038b3ae7b
  7. Not being able to run as administrator any app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not being able to run as administrator any app: Everthing started after a very painful day using my laptop. i kept restarting it until the point where the screen blured. After a few minutes i got the error saying the extended atributes are inconsistent from skype. After that i gone to task manager and disabled skype...
  8. Can't type in windows settings and search box

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type in windows settings and search box: So I've noticed that I couldn't type anything in the windows search box and windows settings at all. I also can't seem to switch typing language, as the button for it is no longer there. I've tried restore health and Scannow. It found and fix corrupt files but didn't solve...
  9. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  10. Start Menu - Not being abl e to search "Control Panel", "This PC"..

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Not being abl e to search "Control Panel", "This PC"..: It seems that I am not able to search this kind of options like "Windows Update", "Control Panel" and so on, but I am able to search through folders. I can neither run processes as cmd as admin. Defrag doesn't display anything. Anyone experiencing this kind of error? I...