Windows 10: Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

Discus and support Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since I updated recently to Windows 10 1909, I haven't been able to type in any windows related apps but i can still type in any other programs. Could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mateo Itur, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

Since I updated recently to Windows 10 1909, I haven't been able to type in any windows related apps but i can still type in any other programs. Could someone please help me solve this issue.

:)

Mateo Itur, Mar 21, 2020

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Mar 21, 2020
  3. SamRick Win User
    Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

Thank you, Caledon Ken and Dalchina, for giving me your time to help me sort this out.

Following on from Ken's additional post about getting more out of the Windows troubleshooter functions, I opened 'View All', and selected 'Windows Store Apps' to examine. Attached are two screen clips of the results;
    1) 'Windows Store cache may be damaged', after resetting and opening the Store app, in which window, by the way, I could not type in the search box, as described earlier.
    2) Another confirmation of the same.

This suggests to me that somewhere around the working of this cache may be where the problem lies. I don't know, but I wonder if the other functions of Windows that aren't working properly are related to the Windows Store in some way - 'Start' and 'Search'. Can either of you confirm that?

Clearly, at least as the first step, this cache needs cleaning up. Have you any ideas as to how to do that? I'd really like to avoid having to do a Windows reinstall if I can, for very obvious reasons.

Thanks
    Sam

SamRick, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings...

1. Not being able to type in any windows related apps/functions e.g: search box, settings... - Similar Threads - being able type

2. Cannot type in search box in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot type in search box in explorer: Ever since the last update, search has been acting up. Often I cannot type in the search box in the upper right corner of any open folder. I have to restart to get it working. How to fix? Thanks. submitted by /u/butterballmd [link] [comments]...
  3. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  4. Cannot type in search box

in Cortana
    Cannot type in search box: Hello all, The "improved" search box in Windows 10 v. 1909 is broken. 1) It shows one character at a time. - If I type "pdf" it displays "p" then only "d" then only "f". 2) Then it displays a box character (see picture below). 3) Clicking the arrow button does nothing...
  5. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...
  6. Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Windows 10 search box: Hi, I am unable to type into the search box in the task bar of my Windows 10 laptop. Not sure if it's related but there did appear to be some updates applied when I logged off last night. Googling I have found a number of suggestions. So far I have tried the following...
  7. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...
  8. not able to type in Cortana search bar

in Cortana
    not able to type in Cortana search bar: I am unable to enter any text into the Cortana Search bar. When I see if its having a problem in the task manager it's not even appearing which makes me think its not loading on start. I am able to track down the windows search function and have tried to rest that but it is...
  9. Can’t type in Windows 10 apps, Search Box, Dialogue Boxes, Cortana, etc.

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t type in Windows 10 apps, Search Box, Dialogue Boxes, Cortana, etc.: [ATTACH] It so happened to me that when typing inside Cortana, Windows 10 apps, Taskbar, Search Bar, and so on, everything was invisible. At first, I thought that there was something wrong with my keyboard, but then it turned out to be [...] This post Can’t type in Windows...
  10. Start Menu - Not being abl e to search "Control Panel", "This PC"..

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Not being abl e to search "Control Panel", "This PC"..: It seems that I am not able to search this kind of options like "Windows Update", "Control Panel" and so on, but I am able to search through folders. I can neither run processes as cmd as admin. Defrag doesn't display anything. Anyone experiencing this kind of error? I...