Windows 10: Not being Notified by Windows Defender of new Malware Definitions

Discus and support Not being Notified by Windows Defender of new Malware Definitions in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I don't know why this is, maybe MS has done something on how Defender malware definitions are being notified, but I am not getting them for a few days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by win10freak, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Not being Notified by Windows Defender of new Malware Definitions

I don't know why this is, maybe MS has done something on how Defender malware definitions are being notified, but I am not getting them for a few days now. I even re-installed Windows 10 because I had just replaced my HDD with a new SSD drive. Still, no update notifications, except, when done manually. In other words, the updates themselves come through when clicking on Check for Updates, but I am not getting the notifications.

I even have the setting in Group Policy to Notify for Downloads, still nothing for a few days. This is odd, because I used to get Defender update notifications almost every day.

Has MS changed something?

I am running Win10 v1803.

I heard something that MS pulled the feature upgrade v1809 from updating because it had a lot of issues and requesting users to manually check for updates.

Can anyone verify this?

:)

win10freak, Oct 24, 2018

2. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Statistics on the Windows Defender definition list.

Hi, just curious, how large is the Windows Defender definition list?

How many entries of viruses & malwares are there in the definition list?

How many are added to the definition list each day?

michaelleepow90, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Kim Tiw Win User

Not being Notified by Windows Defender of new Malware Definitions

windows defender detected error0X8050800c

Hello,

This error indicates that there might be a problem with your security product. We suggest that you follow these steps to update the definitions on your Windows Defender:

• Update the definitions. Either click the Update definitions button on the Update tab in Windows Defender, or download the latest definitions from the Microsoft
      Malware Protection Center
    • Run a full scan.
    • Restart the device and try again.

If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to reply on this post.

Kim Tiw, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Not being Notified by Windows Defender of new Malware Definitions

1. Not being Notified by Windows Defender of new Malware Definitions - Similar Threads - being Notified Defender

2. Windows Defender Definition

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Defender Definition: Does Windows Defender having the latest definition with newly purchased Windows licenses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-definition/525c1f46-bb3f-400e-ad5e-9a1237512d81
  3. Windows Defender Definition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Definition: Does Windows Defender having the latest definition with newly purchased Windows licenses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-definition/525c1f46-bb3f-400e-ad5e-9a1237512d81
  4. Windows Defender Definition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Defender definitions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender definitions: Hello: I have windows defender in my Win. Vista premium 32 bit and when I try get the latest virus definitions, the option is turned off in Defender. Is this normal or is something wrong with Win. Defender which means I might have to import another anti-virus app.? thank...
  6. windows defender virus definition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows defender virus definition: Have upate from windows 7 to windows 10. When trying to update my Virus and spyware definitions it shows me internet or network security problems. However all other windows updates are working fine, except for which i suspect is part of the problem the following. Security...
  7. Windows Defender Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Definition Updates: I have a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200 & also a Dell Inspiron17 (series 5000). Both computers have Windows 10 64-bit. The Toshiba has version 1809 on it and the Dell has version 1803 on it. On both computers all updates seem to install without issue except the Windows...
  8. Windows defender keeps notifying

Windows defender keeps notifying: Hi, I've recently been having some weird issues going on with my laptop. The most recent being that my notification center keeps giving me notifications every time I turn on the laptop saying that a threat has been detected (by windows defender). If I click on the...
  9. Windows Defender definition updates

Windows Defender definition updates: Has anyone else noticed that the size of the daily definition download has dramatically increased? Prior to FCU the average size for me was under 1mb, now it has balloned to just under 30mb. This is of course downloading via Windows Update.Is this some kind of unusual quirk...
  10. Defender notified threat.

Defender notified threat.: As my AV am using Kasperski free plus MBAM free. Also have set up Defender to do periodic scans (there being no conflict) Defender has notified a threat and quarantined it. Neither Kasperski or Mbam reported it. Link below for info on threat. Spyware:Win32/WebHancer.A...