Windows 10: NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing

Discus and support NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; NOT THE SAME SEARCH ISSUE AS OTHERS HAVE REPORTED - Not BING search problem! no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/geeky-hawkes, Feb 7, 2020.

1. NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing

NOT THE SAME SEARCH ISSUE AS OTHERS HAVE REPORTED - Not BING search problem!

no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type in appearing:

Press start key (or click menu) type gimp only g appears in the search box, pause for a second no search results and then search box closes. If I open search and mash the keyboard all the characters come up for the first second or so then nothing more, likewise if I open search and type quickly about the first seconds worth of characters appear but no search results are displayed

What have I tried:

BingSearchEnabled 0 in regedit (no change)

searching and indexer troubleshooter - no issues found

confirmed C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe is running

powershell: $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

powershell: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

restarted PC - no change

tried US keyboard as well as my local region - no change

running windows 10 1909 OX Build 18363.592

Thoughts welcome- I don't want to reinstall just to fix this but it is killing my workflow!

submitted by /u/geeky-hawkes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/geeky-hawkes, Feb 7, 2020
  2. derek10 Win User

Problem with Start Menu search

I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile.
    I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working.

Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are Web and Store suggestion ones.
    For example I could type "paint" or "calc" to open Paint or the calculator, now it only returns store suggestions and/or web suggestions instead of these apps, same as any built-in or third party app.

NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing [​IMG]

(The first result only opens Edge with a Bing search for Paint) *Devil

I rebuilt the search index, I reviewed its settings I typed a powershell command that supposedly fixes that, and still nothing. I think the problem may come from the profile. Meanwhile I will create a new user account.

Thanks for any suggestion or clue NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing :)

Edit: I can't create a new user account. When I click "Add someone else to this PC" an empty grey window pops up for a second then closes. Definitely there is something very wrong here

derek10, Feb 7, 2020
  3. Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 7, 2020
  4. NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing

How to remove Bing search

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

a) What is the exact issue that you face with Bing?

b) Is the issue related to Bing app?

c) Do you get issues with bing search in Windows Edge?

If you wish to set a different search for Windows Edge, here are the steps which might help you to set it as default search engine or home page.

• Open Windows edge.
    • Click on More actions (Three dots ...)
    • Click on settings.
    • Click on view advanced settings.
    • Turn on "Show the home button"
    • Enter the URL of the website which you want to set as your home page.
    • Close the Windows edge and open it again you will be able to get you desired webpage as your home page.

For Internet Explorer, refer to the following steps:

a) Type Internet options into the start search box

b) Press enter

c) Go down to search and select settings,

d) You can change it here.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing

1. NOT BING Search - cannot find apps in start menu or search anything past 1 second of typing - Similar Threads - BING Search cannot

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  4. Search menu never search anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search menu never search anything: My search menu never works. You will be able to type and search for anything but it will never find a result. It will load forever and nothing happens. You can close it and type again but issue goes on. Why this functionality is faulty anyway? Before I have some major issue...
  5. Search menu never search anything

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search menu never search anything: My search menu never works. You will be able to type and search for anything but it will never find a result. It will load forever and nothing happens. You can close it and type again but issue goes on. Why this functionality is faulty anyway? Before I have some major issue...
  6. Bing Search not working in Start Menu

in Cortana
    Bing Search not working in Start Menu: Bing Search not working in Start Menu in Windows 10 Home 20H2. I want to use Bing Web Search but it is not working. I also added "BingSearchEnabled" in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search but still it is not working....
  7. Cannot type in search bar next to Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot type in search bar next to Start menu: I am unable to use the search bar next to the Start menu in Windows 10 because it will not accept characters when I try to type. It was working a few days ago. I have tried every fix I could find, and spent hours trying to fix it with no results....
  8. Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms: I use the start menu search for opening up apps instead of having a bloated task bar but at some point Windows 10 stopped working showing results properly for everything. E.g. when I updated MS office, windows button + type away for example "word" will show the not even...
  9. Start menu search doesn't say what type of app it finds anymore?

in Cortana
    Start menu search doesn't say what type of app it finds anymore?: Just noticed that when I search for an app in the start menu, it no longer says desktop app or trusted Microsoft Store app. It just says app. Did something go wrong or is it a change? using Windows 10 version 1809 (OS Build 17763.475)...
  10. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps: I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right? 10556

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix start menu searching on bing not apps