Windows 10: [NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts

Discus and support [NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been using my computer normally for the past few days, but today my entire computer froze up, all the currently open applications like discord... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jcorella17, Dec 18, 2016.

1. [NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts

I've been using my computer normally for the past few days, but today my entire computer froze up, all the currently open applications like discord were working just fine.
    I was able to talk with my friends on discord until I was forced to restart my computer due to the fact that the background was just blank (color of the theme) with no taskbar/desktop at all.

In there event viewer there are over 119 errors over the past 2 hours, most of them having the source of ESENT.

Here's a few of them
    • svchost (4676) Unistore: Unable to create a new logfile because the database cannot write to the log drive. The drive may be read-only, out of disk space, misconfigured, or corrupted. Error -1032.
    • svchost (4676) Unistore: An attempt to open the file "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\USStmp.log" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).
    • svchost (4676) Unistore: Error -1032 (0xfffffbf8) occurred while opening a newly-created logfile C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\USS.log.
    • svchost (4676) Unistore: Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -1032.
    • svchost (4676) Unistore: Error -1032 (0xfffffbf8) occurred while opening a newly-created logfile C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\USS.log.
    • svchost (4676) Unistore: An attempt to open the file "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\USStmp.log" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

It has nothing to do with space on the PC, I have nearly 700 GBs free on my main drive. I'm currently using the PC right now to write this and it's working just fine.
    I've tried sfc/ scannow and chkdsk but they have not reported any sort of error at all.
    Also to make sure it wast a virus I scanned with malewarebytes & windows defender (not at the same time of course)
    So, if anyone know's what's going on any help is appreciated, thanks *Smile

Here's the DM log if it can help in any way
    Attachment 114091

:)

Jcorella17, Dec 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 random game crashes

Windows 10 seems to randomly make my games crash, and will not let them restart, without rebooting the entire pc. This was never an issue with any of the other versions of windows (I've had 7 & 8 & 8.1 on this pc) the games simply do not start up after
    they've crashed, in fact no executables start without a reboot.

ValentinsRascevskis, Dec 18, 2016
  3. AKGNok920 Win User
    Lumia 920 crashes and restarts randomly

Since past three days, it has crashed randomly and restarted.

First was after I got done with a phone call. Everthing just froze, screen blanked out and after a bit I saw the restart happen.

Second came while reading email . It crashed as I was scrolling down the threads and restarted.

Third yesterday while I was browsing. Every time, it just crashed without any warning, and restarted.

None of my apps were running. No background tasks allowed on my phone for any app. I have self restarted my phone after the first instance, and do it almost everynight before it goes to the charger.

Any ideas?

Lumia 920 on ATT

AKGNok920, Dec 18, 2016
  4. Spectrum Win User

[NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts

Hi Jcorella17,

Unistore is part of the Windows Store, so it sounds like something related to that is misbehaving. The "0xfffffbf8" errors mean it is unable to access the file due to it being locked/in use.

I would suggest first making sure you have the latest Windows updates installed. You should be on version 14393.576, per Microsoft's documentation. You can verify your version by running "winver" from the start menu or run dialog.

After you are on the latest version of Windows 10, run the following commands from an elevated CMD/PowerShell prompt and then reboot your system.

sfc /scannow
    dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

If either sfc or dism detects corruption but is unable to complete the repair, please post the relevant log files. For sfc that is C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Similarly, dism's log file is C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log.

It also is not a bad idea to perform a Clean boot to help rule out 3rd party programs.

If issues persist, and you are comfortable using the Sysinternals Suite, I would suggest posting a procmon log with the entire process tree of the relevant svchost PID while it is generating those eventlog errors.

Spectrum, Dec 18, 2016
Thema:

[NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts

1. [NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts - Similar Threads - BSOD explorer randomly

2. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  3. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  4. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. BSOD/Random restarts and crashes

BSOD/Random restarts and crashes: Hello everyone, attached is my log. I been having BSOD for ages but now my computer just seems to restart itself. On some occasions the screen crashes and also any audio playing will just sound like a broken record looping, I usually have problems downloading windows updates...
  6. Randoms BSOD NEVER ENDING

Randoms BSOD NEVER ENDING: My specs Cpu: Ryzen 7 2700x Power Supply: EVGA 600W Ram: 8X2 Steel patriot cl 15 Graphics card: RX 580 8GB GIGABYTE Motherboard: X570 Aorus Elite wifi rev 1.x F33A Bios Case: Generic case Winver: 20H2 COMP 19042.746 I have tried everything from deactivating the...
  7. Windows randomly crashing and restarting without BSOD

Windows randomly crashing and restarting without BSOD: Hi, Just bought a new PowerSpec G467 - https://www.microcenter.com/product/629573/powerspec-g467-gaming-computer Since day 1, the computer randomly is restarting without BSOD. It probably happens once a day and usually within the first 10 minutes of booting up and usually...
  8. Random Crash, until restarted. No BSOD

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Crash, until restarted. No BSOD: Windows 1902 (OS.Build 18362.418) Hi, This was a random crash that happened, occurred few times in the past. However, Through inspecting in the eventlog, it only states the " The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the...
  9. Random Crash, until restarted. No BSOD

Random Crash, until restarted. No BSOD: Windows 1902 (OS.Build 18362.418) Hi, This was a random crash that happened, occurred few times in the past. However, Through inspecting in the eventlog, it only states the " The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the...
  10. [NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts

[NOT BSOD] Windows explorer randomly crashes and never restarts: I've been using my computer normally for the past few days, but today my entire computer froze up, all the currently open applications like discord were working just fine. I was able to talk with my friends on discord until I was forced to restart my computer due to the fact...