Windows 10: Not enough disk space to update windows 10

Discus and support Not enough disk space to update windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to update to windows 10 on a laptop with 32GB and I keep getting the not enough disk space error. Several articles and forums talk about a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AnoukFin, Sep 3, 2020.

1. AnoukFin Win User

Not enough disk space to update windows 10

I am trying to update to windows 10 on a laptop with 32GB and I keep getting the not enough disk space error. Several articles and forums talk about a button that gives you the option to use an external drive, but the Windows 10 update assistant doesn't have that button. It only has the button to free up disk space. I can't free up any more disk space because what is using all my disk space is my current version of Windows 10. How do I get to the page with the button that allows me to use an external drive?

:)

AnoukFin, Sep 3, 2020

2. Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Sep 3, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Not enough disk space to update windows 10

Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing low disk space issue on your PC while trying to update Windows. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. What is the make and model of the PC?
    2. How much free space do you have on the PC?
    3. How are you trying to update to the latest version of Windows?

Usually, to install a new feature update of Windows your PC should have at least 10GB of free space available on the hard drive.

I would suggest you to refer the articles
    Free up space for Windows 10 updates
    and
    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10
    to see if it helps.

Note: Please make sure you take a backup of your data before proceeding with the steps mentioned in the articles.

In addition, you may want to refer section How will I know if I don’t have enough free disk space to install updates? from the article

Free up drive space in Windows 10

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Not enough disk space to update windows 10

1. Not enough disk space to update windows 10 - Similar Threads - enough disk space

2. Not enough disk space for download of windows 11 and updates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough disk space for download of windows 11 and updates.: I keep getting told not enough disc space to download windows 11 or updates , I'm old and don't have a lot of computer skills just the very basics, thanks...
  3. Not enough disk space for download of windows 11 and updates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not enough disk space for download of windows 11 and updates.: I keep getting told not enough disc space to download windows 11 or updates , I'm old and don't have a lot of computer skills just the very basics, thanks...
  4. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough disk space for Windows update: Hi,I'm using Widows 10 64 bit on a Surface Pro2. I don't have enough disk space for Windows Update. I've connected an external disk but Windows Update doesn't see it. What can I do?Best regards...
  5. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not enough disk space for Windows update: Hi,I'm using Widows 10 64 bit on a Surface Pro2. I don't have enough disk space for Windows Update. I've connected an external disk but Windows Update doesn't see it. What can I do?Best regards...
  6. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10: "Not Enough Disk Space" - Need Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10: "Not Enough Disk Space" - Need Help!: So I am at my ends wit and have absolutely no idea what is going on with my PC. I have Windows 10, and use it for my daily computer (web browsing, occasional photoshop, youtube). But I literally don't really have anything on my computer...But for the past 4 months, it's...
  8. Windows Update says not enough disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Update says not enough disk space: I've tried EVERYTHING and so has MS Remote assistance to free up disk space, and stop the error saying Windows Update cannot complete due to NO SPACE on my hard drive I have a laptop that WAS working, but then I didn't realize how LITTLE space I had! So, MS remote lady tried...
  9. Windows Update Not enough disk space – Low storage space issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update Not enough disk space – Low storage space issues: [ATTACH] When updating Windows 10 if you are running into low storage space problem, it simply means that there is not enough disk space on the drive where Windows 10 has been installed. When Windows 10 downloads the update packages, it extracts [...] This post Windows...
  10. not enough disk space.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not enough disk space.: I am trying to update windows 10 but it tells me I do not have enough disk space. I have added a flash driver and a sdhc but still says not enough disk space....