Windows 10: Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem?

Discus and support Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I upgraded a HP Elitebook 8440p from HDD to SSD. Link to new SSD:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Scutterbum, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem?

I upgraded a HP Elitebook 8440p from HDD to SSD.

Link to new SSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TNQXQ6N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And link to Laptop (I have the i5 version): https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c02030599

I then installed a fresh copy of Windows 10. Version 20H2. Laptop is working fine, but I'm only getting half of the advertised read speed.

I know it says read / write speeds of "up to" 520 megabytes / second but was hoping to get at least close to it. Maybe in the 400 region.

Here's my Crystaldiskinfo results: I'm getting maximum read speeds of aroud 260 megabytes / second: https://pasteboard.co/JJIVxn0.png

Should I be getting closer to the advertised speeds? Have I messed up the installation?

I installed windows in IDE mode. Then after it was installed, I changed it to ACHI mode in the bios.

Should I have changed to ACHI mode first, then reinstalled windows?

Could it be a driver issue perhaps?

Device Manager detects the disk without any problems / yellow exclamation marks. I can see "Lexar 256gb" in the device list.

Any troubleshooting advice? Software or hardware problem? Perhaps the laptop is too old?

Thanks

submitted by /u/Scutterbum
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Scutterbum, Jan 15, 2021
  2. maxp Win User

Slow Read Speeds with new SSD In Mac Pro

I thought I would try and reinvigorate my old mac pro 1,1 desktop.

Made in about 2006, it's fairly old hardware, but I thought a new SSD might give it a new lease of life.

I put in a 500GB Samsung EVO 850, installed Windows 10, and after running HD Tune, reports an average read speed of just 180MB/Sec.

Comparing this to others with the same disk, I see that they are able to get more than twice this speed without breaking a sweat.

Am I being constrained by my old hardware (disk controller / small data bus)? Or is there something that can be done to speed it up?

3. maxp Win User
    Slow Read Speeds with new SSD In Mac Pro

Enabling AHCI (http://www.bladedmink.com/windows-8-ahci-support-on-macbook-pro/) upped the average speed from 180MB/Sec to 225MB/Sec.

Note the following steps are actually for a Macbook Pro (laptop), but worked a charm on my Mac Pro (desktop).

Edit:

Crucial steps from bladedmink.com incase it ever disappears - Note, read through all these steps before actually performing them.

• Login to Windows
    • Launch Regedit
    • Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\
      • Edit the ErrorControl Data value from 3 to 0.
    • Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride\
      • Edit the 0 Data value from 3 to 0.
    • Shutdown and boot into OS X
    • Download and run https://www.bladedmink.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/AHCI_Enabler.zip on the NTFS drive.
    • Shutdown and boot into Windows
    • Prey you don't get a BSOD.

I am using the Standard Microsoft AHCI controller driver.

I tried to to install the Intel Matrix AHCI drivers, but they actually ran a few percent slower. When I tried to uninstall (and checked the 'also delete drivers') from Device Manager I got a boot loop and had to install windows from scratch.

4. MatTheCat Win User

Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem?

Speed Problems with OCZ Vertex 2E SSD on New PC Build.

I am having problems with the speed of my OCZ Vertex 2E SSD drive on my new PC build.

The advertised speeds are 250 MB/s Read/Write, but I am getting this crap:

Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem? [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack - Deleted photo

When I first got my SSD drive, I made the mistake of not setting the SATA mode to AHCI in the bios before installing W7 on the drive. I made that same mistake again but have now rectified it.....but noticeably, AS SSD Benchmark doesn't tell me I am in AHCI mode, but IaStor (woteva that is) and 103424K - OK.

Any fellow geeks with similar problem in the past got any advice?

MatTheCat, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem?

1. Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem? - Similar Threads - getting advertised read

2. Windows installation problem on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installation problem on new SSD: I decided to change hybrid drive SSHD to a new samsung 870 QVO on my asus fx503vd laptop, took out the old one, installed a new one, connected it, inserted the installation flash drive, and went into the BIOS, it sees the disk, it sees the flash drive, but after choosing the...
  3. New hardware and fresh Windows on SSD, having problem with my HDDs!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New hardware and fresh Windows on SSD, having problem with my HDDs!: Hi! Recently upgraded my mobo, CPU and RAM and did a fresh installation on my empty SSD. However, I am facing some issues with my two old HDDs. I didn't wipe them before, theyre as they were on my old Windows. The problems are mainly that I can't seem to be able to use the...
  4. Problems installing windows on new ssd

Problems installing windows on new ssd: I wiped my old hard drive, but left windows on it just in case, and I tried installing windows 10 on the ssd from a usb stick. I get to the install page, where I put in my preferred language and I choose my ssd as the destination. But after it's done installing, it says it...
  5. Compounding Problems with new hardware

Compounding Problems with new hardware: This may get long winded and I apologize for that. Back when they were giving free upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I jumped in as soon as I could. I'm fairly confident in my software management and was able to successfully navigate the early bugs. Unfortunately, that...
  6. New hardware problem with windows.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New hardware problem with windows.: Just got new hardware and my windows is asking me to activate my copy of windows but I no longer have access to the code I used I don't know... like years ago... am I SOL?...
  7. Is this a Windows Problem or a Hardware Problem?

Is this a Windows Problem or a Hardware Problem?: Help! I'm trapped in an endless loop! Upon booting, Windows attempts to auto repair, which always fails and leads to the troubleshooting menu. From there I'm attempting to reset my PC, but this seems to always lead to a crash during the reset, which then reboots and starts...
  8. Problems with BSOD on new hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with BSOD on new hardware: Recently I changed my motherboard and processor. I installed windows 10 64bit pro and newest drivers for everything. After 1 day I experienced some bsod kmode exeption not handled & system service exeption. It happened randomly when watching netflix or playing games. After...
  9. SSD read speed for games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD read speed for games?: I just brought a Samsung 869 EVO to run some games off. The particularly game I playing on reaches a peak of around 250 MB/s read speed while the drive is capable of 570 MB/s. Wouldn't my game be loading faster if it was utilizing the maximum read speed of the SSD? 129744
  10. New SSD speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD speed: I have just swapped out a Hynix M2 drive that came with the HP 470 G5 Pro laptop with a Samsung 970 250GB EVO and the speed as measured with AS SSD is showing me only around half the claimed read speed of 3400Mbs although the bottom figure (see pic) is about double that which...