Windows 10: Not getting the option to go back to Windows 8.1

Discus and support Not getting the option to go back to Windows 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here's a screenshot of how the recovery option looks, please help. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet 19839 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marvin14, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Marvin14 Win User

Not getting the option to go back to Windows 8.1

Marvin14, Aug 28, 2015

2. "Go back to Windows 8.1" option is not shown

If you performed a custom install and not an in place upgrade from Windows 8.1, the option will not be available:

you can initiate a Rollback using the following method:

Not getting the option to go back to Windows 8.1 [​IMG]

Log out and go to the sign in screen.

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

If its not available, your best option is to reinstall from scratch:

How
    to: Reinstall or Restore your original Windows installation after evaluating the Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Aug 28, 2015
  3. PeterHcN Win User
    "Go back to Windows 8.1" option is not shown

Thanks Andre

I followed your instructions and got to the point where I clicked on "Go Back to the previous build" and entered my admin password as requested. It then went to "Restarting...". I left it for over an hour without any change, so then rather despaired and
    shut down the PC. On booting it said "Restoring from previous version of Windows" so I was hopeful. I left it for about 30 minutes and it had rebooted into Windows 8.1 with no harm done as far as I can see.

Thanks for your help. By the way I had done an "in place upgrade" (as far as I know). I shall not upgrade the same PC to W10 again, even though I have successfully upgrade three others I look after!

Peter

PeterHcN, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Marvin14 Win User
    Hey, it was a clean install. I had the option before to do that and now once I took the PC to get It repaired I got it back with Windows 10 and the option to go back to windows 8.1 was gone. So the guy who repaired my PC must have removed Windows 8.1 I took it to the Best buy geek squad place, not really sure if he repaired my PC or ****ed it up.

Marvin14, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, a clean install will do that.

With an upgrade you will see:

... a clean install will show:

Edwin, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Marvin14 Win User
    Ah, so I cannot go back to Windows 8.1? when I tried going to trouble shoot with advanced startup, clicked go back to earlier build it said no earlier build found.

Marvin14, Aug 28, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Probably not.
    You most likely will have to download Windows 8.1 iso and perform a clean install with that.
    In other words, Start from Scratch! *Sad It's doable though! *Wink

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media

Edwin, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Marvin14 Win User
    Ah okay, thank you so much and also do you know why my fan is really loud when starting up my PC, I don't know once I got it repaired and the fan messed up, when my PC is starting up the fan is soo loud once the PC starts it goes back to normal.

Marvin14, Aug 28, 2015
  10. Not a good idea to start adding new problems to the same thread. Makes it confusing and hard to provide advice. Please start a new thread for your new problem. And if this thread's problem is fixed now, please mark it as Solved.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Not getting the option to go back to Windows 8.1 - Similar Threads - getting option

2. PC health App says my computer is ready for Windows 11 but I don't get any upgrade option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC health App says my computer is ready for Windows 11 but I don't get any upgrade option: I ran the compatibility test with PC health App and it says that my system is eligible for Windows 11. However, I don't get any option in the windows update to upgrade...
  3. PC health App says my computer is ready for Windows 11 but I don't get any upgrade option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC health App says my computer is ready for Windows 11 but I don't get any upgrade option: I ran the compatibility test with PC health App and it says that my system is eligible for Windows 11. However, I don't get any option in the windows update to upgrade...
  4. PC health App says my computer is ready for Windows 11 but I don't get any upgrade option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?: Currently remoting into my PC from my samsung tablet. I got most of my mouse functionality that I want, including right click, and scroll. However a key feature I'm missing is middle click. I'm aware that windows touchpad allows triple tapping to engage middle mouse, however...
  6. How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?

How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?: Currently remoting into my PC from my samsung tablet. I got most of my mouse functionality that I want, including right click, and scroll. However a key feature I'm missing is middle click. I'm aware that windows touchpad allows triple tapping to engage middle mouse, however...
  7. How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Sometimes wifi option gets disabled when I use the laptop after keeping it in sleep mode....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sometimes wifi option gets disabled when I use the laptop after keeping it in sleep mode....: If anyone have idea about this, please comment https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sometimes-wifi-option-gets-disabled-when-i-use-the/90c88825-bc5f-4dac-b93d-8d1019621aaa
  9. Sometimes wifi option gets disabled when I use the laptop after keeping it in sleep mode....

Sometimes wifi option gets disabled when I use the laptop after keeping it in sleep mode....: If anyone have idea about this, please comment https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sometimes-wifi-option-gets-disabled-when-i-use-the/90c88825-bc5f-4dac-b93d-8d1019621aaa
  10. I get no wifi. Doesnt give me the option to turn on or off the wifi. And it doesn’t come up...

I get no wifi. Doesnt give me the option to turn on or off the wifi. And it doesn’t come up...: I get no wifi. Doesnt give me the option to turn on or off the wifi. And it doesn’t come up network connections on ethernet 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-no-wifi-doesnt-give-me-the-option-to-turn-on/31ae1736-fa45-4e32-a888-4be157329853