Windows 10: Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS

Discus and support Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a win 10 pc, and my friend just gave me a 500gb hard drive from his older windows vista pc. If I put that in my D: drive, how would that work?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MediocoreRedstoner, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS

I have a win 10 pc, and my friend just gave me a 500gb hard drive from his older windows vista pc. If I put that in my D: drive, how would that work? And how would I be able to wipe that drive clean for my use?

submitted by /u/MediocoreRedstoner
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MediocoreRedstoner, Dec 27, 2020
  2. little cat, Dec 27, 2020
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS

1. Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS - Similar Threads - sure where post

2. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  3. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  4. Where to post about an audio/audio cable question? Possibly here?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where to post about an audio/audio cable question? Possibly here?: I have a receiver that has RCA type connectors for 5.1, is there a way to connect the three 3.5mm surround sound connections (side,read and C/Sub) from a soundcard to this setup? Example of receiver connections I have:https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.co...ctions-960.jpg...
  5. wasn't exactly sure where to post this: Account Login Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wasn't exactly sure where to post this: Account Login Question: Hello, I am asking a question about my account login, and stating a issue My laptop is currently logged out of my account because I forgot my password. The email and phone number cant be used because my phone was stolen and my email is connected to that phone number,...
  6. I have some questions about Windows 10..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some questions about Windows 10..: Right now i'm using Windows 10 for about 3 years.. Iknow how to make it Faster and reduce lagg and speed it up but i want to know if there is more to do than just Disabling/deleting the inbuilt-apps and crap but i didn't disabled The telemetry because it will mess things...
  7. My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.: My computer told me that my hard drive has failed and I took it apart and went to the hard drive section. I have taken out the hard drive and it is out of the computer and the computer is still disassembled. Many websites say that I should clone it but I don't know if I...
  8. My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

in Windows 10 Support
    My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.: My computer told me that my hard drive has failed and I took it apart and went to the hard drive section. I have taken out the hard drive and it is out of the computer and the computer is still disassembled. Many websites say that I should clone it but I don't know if I...
  9. I have some questions about replacing a hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some questions about replacing a hard drive: (My english isnt very good so just bear with me) I have been thinking about replacing my 250 gb hard drive on my pc for a 1tb hard drive. But this is my first time replacing something on my pc so i have a few questions What do i have to do before replacing my hard drive...
  10. I have some questions about microsoft edge

in Browsers and Email
    I have some questions about microsoft edge: 1) Can you get the avast online security add on? 2) How do you add favorites to the favorites bar? I set a site as a favorite and it didn't get added to the favorites bar 3) Why does it freeze so often? The first time I opened edge I went to tap on a tab and nothing would...