Windows 10: Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade

Discus and support Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there folks, Just upgraded my XPS 15 9530 with a new 850 EVO 1TB mSATA, was previously using a PM830 64GB mSATA drive. The laptop now no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Injust, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Injust Win User

Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade

Hi there folks,

Just upgraded my XPS 15 9530 with a new 850 EVO 1TB mSATA, was previously using a PM830 64GB mSATA drive.
    The laptop now no longer wakes from hibernation or sleep mode, whether hybrid sleep is enabled or disabled.

I do know that the new SSD uses DevSlp, but no idea whether this is the cause of the issue, or whether it is an OS or SSD issue.

Help would be much appreciated.

:)

Injust, Mar 17, 2017
  2. netjeffm Win User

Reboot when trying to wake from sleep

My Dell XPS 18 laptop originally came with Windows 8, I updated to 8.1, and then 10. Sleeping and waking from sleep was working fine. About a month ago I upgraded the HDD to an SSD. I installed Windows 10 clean on the blank SSD. My computer still goes
    to sleep fine, but every time I try to wake from sleep, it acts like I rebooted.

I have the latest drivers (as part of the clean install), and verified I have the latest BIOS from Dell. I've searched online for problems with reboot when waking from sleep, but none of the info I've found has helped me solve my problem.

Looking in the event viewer for critical and error events, after each wake from sleep attempt there is always an Error event with EventID:16, Source:Kernel-Boot. Followed immediately by a Critical event with EventID:41, Source:Kernel-Power, TaskCategoryNot Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade :(63).

I've uploaded three fresh .dmp files that I just now created by sleeping, then trying to wake from sleep. I've also included an .nfo file generated from MsInfo32, and also three .evtx files (from the Event Viewer) showing the EventID 16 & 41 from the same
    time as each of the .dmp files. All 7 files are available here.

My unsatisfactory workaround is that I changed my power plan to never sleep. Which means when I'm not plugged in and not using for a while, I have to totally shutdown, and then restart when plugged in again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

netjeffm, Mar 17, 2017
  3. iNater Win User
    Can't wake Laptop from Sleep with KB/TP after Upgrade, where is the 8.1 ISO Download

Had to remove the backup files due to severely low disk space on my SSD after upgrading. My Laptop cannot wake from Sleep with the Keyboard or Touchpad anymore.

Where is the Windows 8.1 install ISO download, so that I can revert back to the version of the OS that worked properly on my machine, please?

iNater, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade

Hi Injust.

Please see this wiki article.

DevSlp - Wikipedia

Mentions the problem the problem you seem to be experiencing. Can you disable DevSlp?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 19, 2017
  5. Injust Win User
    I can't seem to find any resources with information on disabling DevSlp. Neither current or former Samsung Magician versions have the option, either.

Information that I can find seems to indicate that Haswell and later chipsets should support DevSlp, which leads me to believe that an i7-4712HQ should support DevSlp just fine.

Injust, Mar 19, 2017
  6. In reading the article I don't think it has anything to do with processor or chipset

It reads

DevSleep-enabled drives may not be suitable for most desktop PCs and some notebooks with the 3.3 V voltage present in their SATA power connectors.

Is this power connector solder onto Motherboard?

Ken

7. Injust Win User
    Yes, the entire mSATA slot is attached to the motherboard and is non-removable.

Injust, Mar 19, 2017
  8. Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade

Have you cruised your BIOS to see what might be available within?

I would also see if disabling hybrid and hibernation changes things. If you don't permit those states maybe it won't fall into this deeper sleep.

I found an article for the Intel units which allows you to enable or disable the feature in firmware. Could not find in Samsung world but only searched for a few minutes.

Ken

9. Injust Win User
    BIOS doesn't have any options relevant to DevSlp or drive-specific stuff at all, aside from boot and SATA password.

I've already tried toggling hibernation and hybrid sleep, nothing works.

As far as I've checked regarding firmware, there is only one version for the 850 EVO mSATA form factor, and the Samsung Magician software gives no options whatsoever for DevSlp.

Injust, Mar 19, 2017
  10. At this point I would contact Samsung to see if they have an answer. Might even try Dell.

Would be interesting, even if just a test, to see if you found a connector that does not pass 3v as described in article if that would work.

Wish I could have found something more helpful. Keep searching oogle. Someone may have solved this.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade

1. Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade - Similar Threads - Waking Sleep SSD

2. Bsod after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bsod after waking from sleep: Hello,I'm having bsod lately after waking pc from sleep, I can't catch that screen, it goes off really quick.it's a new pc, installed win10 about a month agohere's my dmp fileshttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFHk3GAh2ODgfZFUZ7hWiJMBPtoDg?e=wVsUqh...
  3. Bsod after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bsod after waking from sleep: Hello,I'm having bsod lately after waking pc from sleep, I can't catch that screen, it goes off really quick.it's a new pc, installed win10 about a month agohere's my dmp fileshttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFHk3GAh2ODgfZFUZ7hWiJMBPtoDg?e=wVsUqh...
  4. 2nd SSD drive missing after waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd SSD drive missing after waking up from sleep: each time I wake up from sleep, my secondary SSD drive is missing. I have to reboot the pc to see my ssd drive again. I put 7777777 minutes for turn off the hard disk after in power options, and off in link state power management....
  5. 2nd SSD drive missing after waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2nd SSD drive missing after waking up from sleep: each time I wake up from sleep, my secondary SSD drive is missing. I have to reboot the pc to see my ssd drive again. I put 7777777 minutes for turn off the hard disk after in power options, and off in link state power management....
  6. 2nd SSD drive missing after waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Crash After Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crash After Waking From Sleep: I got a crash after waking from sleep and I got this from the windows dump file using windbg. What is causing this error?Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.21349.1004 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File...
  8. BSOD after wake from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after wake from sleep: Every once in a while when my computer wakes from sleep it experiences a BSOD and restarts. This doesn't happen every time, but it's been happening for a few months now so it's quite annoying. I've installed all the latest windows 10 updates and video card driver, but it...
  9. 2nd ssd drive missing after wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd ssd drive missing after wake up from sleep: I updated my Windows 10 yesterday. SInce then, each time I wake up from sleep, my secondary ssd drive is missing. I have to reboot the pc to see my ssd drive again. Is there a thing I can try other than go to a previous Windows version ? - - - Updated - - - Installing...
  10. 2nd ssd drive missing after wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    2nd ssd drive missing after wake up from sleep: I updated my Windows 10 yesterday. SInce then, each time I wake up from sleep, my secondary ssd drive is missing. I have to reboot the pc to see my ssd drive again. Is there a thing I can try other than go to a previous Windows version ? 131741

Users found this page by searching for:

1. devslp ssd missing after wake up