Windows 10: Notebook battery not charging when switched on

Discus and support Notebook battery not charging when switched on in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I bought a notebook three weeks ago for my wife, specifically a HP 14-an009a. It had Windows 10 pre-installed. It worked perfectly for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by andyp3001, Oct 15, 2016.

1. andyp3001 Win User

Notebook battery not charging when switched on

Hi all,
    I bought a notebook three weeks ago for my wife, specifically a HP 14-an009a. It had Windows 10 pre-installed. It worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, but an issue has cropped up with the battery. When it is turned on and connected to the charger, the battery icon will say "37% available, plugged in, not charging". The actual percentage does vary, depending on use. I have tried all the various fixes (e.g. "Uninstall/reinstall Microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" in the device manager and battery out/in, run off AC only then plug battery back in, etc), amongst others, but to no avail. The notebook will charge perfectly when it is switched off, however, with the little orange light on the side illuminating. It will turn white,however, when the machine is turned on (but not charging with the AC connected). Obviously, there have been several updates (including the big "anniversary one) since the purchase. Does anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The battery is OK, and the charger works fine. There is no HP power control software/bloatware on the notebook either which could be causing this. I have changed power plans, and everything that I know of! I can only assume that the battery control driver (after an update) is overriding the charging when the notebook is turned on. Does anyone else have this issue? Please help.

:)

andyp3001, Oct 15, 2016

2. My Notebook wont charge properly after recent windows update.

Hi,

I have a problem with my notebook (Asus X550D). When it turned on it wont charge properly,

when it shutted down.. it does charge properly, but not too long only after like 5-10 mins.

When I charge it while it turned on.. it only charge for like 2 seconds, then it doesnt charge.

I tried to disable and enable the thing on Device Manager about Microsoft Battery Control, but

it's still the same.

I wonder if it's the battery issue or charger or recent windows update.

My Notebook battery is unremoveable.

DisplayNameIG, Oct 15, 2016
  3. grschinon Win User
    Decreased battery life with 22.007

It could be that the battery needs recalibrating.

This tip often results in improved capacity...

Charge the phone fully. When is stops charging, switch it off and remove the battery. Leave the battery out for 10 minutes, then put it back in and start charging the phone again, but don't switch it on. Only switch it on again once the battery has finished
    charging a second time.

grschinon, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

Try this: In a Elevated COmmand Prompt enter
    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Adalwar, Oct 15, 2016
  5. andyp3001 Win User
    Thank you. I'll try that and report back.

andyp3001, Oct 15, 2016
  6. andyp3001 Win User
    Tried it, but nothing has happened. Still plugged in and not charging.

andyp3001, Oct 15, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Have you tried this one? The key difference from what you have already tried seems to be holding down the power button with no charger or battery connected.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...3634994/page/7

8. andyp3001 Win User

Tried that as well. Situation still the same.

andyp3001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Notebook battery not charging when switched on - Similar Threads - Notebook battery charging

2. When your Laptop is at 100% Battery and youre charging it does this charge the battery or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When your Laptop is at 100% Battery and youre charging it does this charge the battery or...: ...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-your-laptop-is-at-100-battery-and-youre/16416366-3790-49ad-aed0-ccaa4a40c98c
  3. When your Laptop is at 100% Battery and youre charging it does this charge the battery or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When your Laptop is at 100% Battery and youre charging it does this charge the battery or...: ...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-your-laptop-is-at-100-battery-and-youre/16416366-3790-49ad-aed0-ccaa4a40c98c
  4. notebook battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    notebook battery: hey there, I have a ROG GM501GM gaming note book and since the couple of months i have a problem with my battery. the problem is i cant start my laptop without mine ac adapter so i have to be connected to electricity, but if i turn my laptop on i see that my battery is...
  5. BSoD when switching to battery.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD when switching to battery.: The title explains. I have update chip set, bios, and all drivers available to windows update and support assist. I am using a Dell precision m6800. Here is some of the things that caused the crashes: [ATTACH] I have had issues every once in a while saying that ac power...
  6. Battery will not charge when plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery will not charge when plugged in: My Lenovo ideapad 120S will not charge when plugged in. It is a brand new computer and I think it may be stuck in shipping mode. I have unplugged it held the power button 90 seconds and still will not work. I have also pressed the reset button and that didn't fix it. Does...
  7. Laptop switching between charging and not charging when use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop switching between charging and not charging when use.: I tried severals "solutions" but none worked. Even I reinstalled Windows from scratch, and latest updates aplied. When using Windows, nothing heavy, open explorer or -even ligther- open the windows menú: laptop switch between charging and not charging every second, while...
  8. Battery is switching between charging and not charging.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery is switching between charging and not charging.: title explains it all. i have been getting this problem for a while now. And recently it also shows plugged in not charging. i dunno if this will help but recently after reinstalling windows my c drive was almost full. i solved it by just extending the partition. My battery...
  9. battery not charging on my hp notebook

battery not charging on my hp notebook: battery not charging on my hp notebook * Moved from IE10/other https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-not-charging-on-my-hp-notebook/4adafd75-b86a-4df2-b6d1-834bcc403ec2
  10. PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.

PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.: Hello All, since the last update my HP Envy laptop will charge fine when switched off then without moving it I switch it on and it stops charging. I have tried all the self help online like: Three other charger cables. Uninstalling battery drivers. Changing power plan...