Windows 10: Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on

Discus and support Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello Community, I am facing an (to me) unsolvable issue on a year old notebook. Something seems to be very wrong with it and I already tried so much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Samoth, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Samoth Win User

Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on

Hello Community, I am facing an (to me) unsolvable issue on a year old notebook. Something seems to be very wrong with it and I already tried so much to fix the problem. The notebook runs Windows 10 (21H1, most current drivers). It is used for simple Excel displaying, mails, PDFs and other easy work. As external USB devices there is a printer, mouse and a dongle attached to it. Nothing else. Currently I configured it so it wont switch to standby nor hibernation. Just the screen should turn off after 60 minutes. What happens next? The device runs overnight. Sometimes the display turns off, sometimes not. I have no idea what is blocking the screen from switching off. Sometimes it gets worse: Whenn you approach the notebook in the morning, swipe the touchpad and expect the screen to immediately turn back on... nothing happens. Either nothing happens for quite a while and then the screen and the left open programms show up. In some rarely cases the screen remains black. Then you can start hitting the keyboard, etc. It will remain black. But: You can see the keyboard illumination turns on. So it is not totally off. The only solution in this behavior is to turn it off completely and start it from new. There is no BSOD or something. What I did so far: - Checked the Event Viewer (system and application) at the time when the issue happens, but to me there is no obvious relevant information - Installed all drivers that I could find - Used HeavyLoad in Windows to stress test the components - Set up new power management plan and there I switched all of the power saving gizmos off - AV ist Kaspersky which I already removed completely from the device - Send the notebook to the manufacturer to let them check - no issue found. Instead they changed the mainboard and RAM just in case By reading through some more threads here in the board it looks like I could also try the clean boot. Although I dont know if I can put this kind of stress on the user. No more clues on my side :-/ Let me know if you need more information. Maybe you have some more ideas? Best and Thanks

:)

Samoth, Jul 13, 2021
  2. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Jul 13, 2021
  3. WiFi won't turn on

Hi Joel,

As you are facing issues with turning on the Wi-Fi on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Have you turned on Airplane mode on your computer?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if the Airplane mode is turned on. If so turn it off and check.

• Press Windows key, click on Settings
      from the left pane.
    • Click on Network & Internet.
    • Under Airplane mode turn it off and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to check if
    Network Adapter is enabled in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand Network Adapter.
    • Right click on adapter driver, click on Properties.
    • Click on Driver tab and Enable the driver.

Step 3: Run Network Adapter troubleshooter

Network Adapter troubleshooter find and fix the problems with wireless and other Network Adapter.

• Click on Start; in the start search type
      Troubleshooter and hit Enter.
    • In the left pane, click on View all.
    • Click on Network Adapter Troubleshooter.
    • Select Advance and click on
      Run as Administrator
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps. Try the troubleshooting steps and get back to us with an updated status of accessing Wi-Fi for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 13, 2021
  4. Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on

Screen turns black, system "hybernating"

Turned it on - after almost an entire day without touching it - and worked for 3 hours before the same screen black, system hibernating happened again.

Checked the temperature throughout and the cores registered at max 56 and 50.

Suggestions?

trail_of_fiends, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on

1. Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on - Similar Threads - Notebook issues turning

2. Screen does not actually turn off.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen does not actually turn off.: Hi there,Since a little while ago I've noticed that my screen does not actually turn off or go to standby anymore but just turns black, even though I have my settings set to turn off the screen, and my screen saver should be turned off.Added to that, it doesn't do so...
  3. Screen does not actually turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen does not actually turn off.: Hi there,Since a little while ago I've noticed that my screen does not actually turn off or go to standby anymore but just turns black, even though I have my settings set to turn off the screen, and my screen saver should be turned off.Added to that, it doesn't do so...
  4. Screen does not actually turn off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. screen comes back on after turning it off

screen comes back on after turning it off: In the "Control what the Power Buttons do" section of the control panel I have the Power button selected to turn off the display however, when i actually press the button in person the display turn off as expected then after .5th of a second the screen turns back on...
  6. Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on

in Windows 10 Support
    Notebook issues with turning screen off - does not turn back on: Hello Community, I am facing an (to me) unsolvable issue on a year old notebook. Something seems to be very wrong with it and I already tried so much to fix the problem. The notebook runs Windows 10 (21H1, most current drivers). It is used for simple Excel displaying, mails,...
  7. Turning off computer and unable to turn screen back on

Turning off computer and unable to turn screen back on: I have a Windows 10 Surface, and I am experiencing an ongoing issue with the power/screen. When I click the power button to put the computer to sleep but not shut down, I can usually turn it back on shortly. However, if I leave the screen off for too long, I can't turn it...
  8. Screen does not turn off at lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Screen does not turn off at lock screen: Recently, when I come back to my computer after a matter of hours I find the screen still on, displaying the lock screen when it should be off. In Windows Settings > Power & Sleep > Screen, the settingWhen plugged in, turn off after is set to 15 minutes. How come my screen is...
  9. Notebook turn Keyboard does not respond?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notebook turn Keyboard does not respond?: Hello, I have the following problem on my Lenovo Ideapad C340: Whenever I connect a monitor via HDMI and fold my notebook upside down, the keyboard comes off and I can only use the on-screen keyboard of the monitor, but actually I want to use the normal keyboard of my...
  10. Screens turning back on immediately after turn off timer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screens turning back on immediately after turn off timer: My screens keep turning back on immediately after the "When plugged in, turn off after X" time is reached. The screens fade to black and seem to be going to sleep like usual, but turn back on immediately. This problem just started happening and the feature worked fine before....