Windows 10: Notebook keyboard certain keys working only intermittently after Windows update

Discus and support Notebook keyboard certain keys working only intermittently after Windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I own an ASUS R500VD series notebook. Recently I found myself in a really difficult situation after Windows 10 Pro N self-updated during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark_R#, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Mark_R# Win User

Notebook keyboard certain keys working only intermittently after Windows update

Hi,

I own an ASUS R500VD series notebook. Recently I found myself in a really difficult situation after Windows 10 Pro N self-updated during the night, twice, from version 1809, to the newest 2004. After the update my keyboard is acting strange, as certain keys are working only 10% of the time. These keys are mainly: Q ' X C V M , . / [right CTRL] [right shift] [numenter] [numdot]. I'm 99% positive it is software and not a hardware-related issue, as these keys first of all happen to work from time to time and secondly - if I press and hold any of these keys while some input has focus cursor stops blinking and is acting just like when I push and hold any other working key so there is some kind of reaction. Pressing repeatedly at the same time X & C & V & B buttons produce BZ-BZ-BBZ-BBZ- on screen notice I'm not pressing nor Z nor "-". I've also never spilled any fluid on the keyboard. On screen keyboard is working normally, so it is not a matter of some app blocking its shortcut keys. I've already searched the internet and tried all the solutions I could find:

1. Install any awaiting update in Windows Update.
    2. Update / reinstall / rollback keyboard driver multiple times.
    3. Install any keyboard-related drivers from ASUS website.
    4. Disassemble the keyboard and clean it.
    5. Reset Windows 10 with full wipe option.

This issue is really dooming my work as I can't type without this keys, question is what can I do more to solve this problem?

P.S.: should I post some additional hw related info here?

:)

Mark_R#, Jun 30, 2020

2. Certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly.

Hi Russell,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly on the pc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

• Have you performed a full pc virus scan on the system recently?

Suggest you to launch the on-screen keyboard to check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Further, you may also boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system.
    These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 30, 2020
  3. keyboard not working after upgrading notebook to Windows 10

Hi Anil,

Before we assist you, we would like to know the below information.

• Have you installed all the pending updates for Windows 10?

• Which is the Windows 10 build running on the Notebook?

Please some of the below troubleshooting steps and check if you are able to fix the keyboard issue:

Method 1: I suggest you to
    install ATK drivers
    , also install Windows 8.1 chipset drivers from the same link and check.

X102BA Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS Global

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type "Troubleshooting"
      in the Search box from the desktop and click "Troubleshooting".

• Click on "View all" from the left pane and select "Hardware and Devices".

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 3: Uninstall keyboard driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Keyboard.

• Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

After uninstalling the keyboard Drivers, suggest you to manually install the Keyboard Drivers.

• Right-click the
      Start button and choose Device Manager.

• Once in Device Manager locate all devices with a yellow exception mark in front of them. In case of not working keyboards they are most-likely located under Human Interface Devices (HID) and keyboards.

• Under keyboards right-click a keyboard with a yellow exception mark.

• Then choose Update Driver Software.

• Then choose Browse my computer for driver software.

• Then choose Let me Pick from a List of Device Drivers.

• Then choose HID Keyboard Device.

• Click on Next and wait for the installation to complete, there should be no error code!

• Unfold the Human Interface Devices category.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

Some keyboard keys stopped working after windows 10 upgrade

Has the Notebook been worked on? Do any of those keys work if holding down the Shift key? Have you used compressed air to blow out any crud that may be blocking the keys?

It's not expensive nor hard to replace the keyboard, usually can find a video or step-by-step articles on the 'net.
    Amazon shows a new keyboard:
    Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron 15 (3521 / 5521) Laptop Keyboard - YH3FC - Genuine Dell Part: Computers Accessories

Berton, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Notebook keyboard certain keys working only intermittently after Windows update - Similar Threads - Notebook keyboard certain

2. Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All: Hello all! My W, 2, and f1 keys have gradually stopped working and now don't work at all. I am currently coping and pasting w and using numpad for 2. I have a G15 5511 Dell laptop. I already tried doing a clean boot, using the keyboard troubleshooter, looking for corrupted...
  3. Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All: Hello all! My W, 2, and f1 keys have gradually stopped working and now don't work at all. I am currently coping and pasting w and using numpad for 2. I have a G15 5511 Dell laptop. I already tried doing a clean boot, using the keyboard troubleshooter, looking for corrupted...
  4. Certain Keys Within Keyboard Is Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Certain Keys Within Keyboard Is Not Working: Hello, I have been using Windows 10 for years and this is the first time that this problem has occurred to me. Several keys on my keyboard are not working, some of the keys that I know are as follow:"esc""a""d""f""j""k""l"";""num lock""8" on number pad"6" on number padI have...
  5. Certain Keys Within Keyboard Is Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain Keys Within Keyboard Is Not Working: Hello, I have been using Windows 10 for years and this is the first time that this problem has occurred to me. Several keys on my keyboard are not working, some of the keys that I know are as follow:"esc""a""d""f""j""k""l"";""num lock""8" on number pad"6" on number padI have...
  6. Certain Keys Within Keyboard Is Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Certain keys on keyboard not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain keys on keyboard not working: Certain keys on the keyboard stopped working, I recently got a new K602 Keyboard, All of the keys used to work howerver certain keys stopped working I think it may have something to do with drivers,[ATTACH]...
  8. Certain keys on keyboard not working

Certain keys on keyboard not working: Only keys like 9, 0, o, j, n not working while the rest still works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-keys-on-keyboard-not-working/26b953e3-de17-464c-b1d6-b07212a046bc
  9. Certains key on my keyboard are not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Certains key on my keyboard are not working.: A couple of keys on my keyboard are not working. This includes the letter w, 2, and fn5, fn6, fn7, fn8. If I press for like 30 seconds they type. Any help is appreciated! submitted by /u/WookieCookie1977 [link] [comments]...
  10. Certain keys not working on keyboard(Windows 10)

Certain keys not working on keyboard(Windows 10): I'm having a keyboard issue. - Ok so I have an Acer Aspire V5-471G laptop. N its currently running windows 10 and I downloaded the anniversary update in september(not sure, don't remember exactly). - But after the second week of October(i think) certain keys on my...