Windows 10: Notepad disappeared

Discus and support Notepad disappeared in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So after updating to the latest May 2004 update the notepad software has vanished from my pc. I have searched it in the apps & feature section but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rifat070, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Rifat070 Win User

Notepad disappeared

So after updating to the latest May 2004 update the notepad software has vanished from my pc. I have searched it in the apps & feature section but nothing found

:)

Rifat070, Jun 15, 2020

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 15, 2020
  3. JCabebe Win User
    Notepad

I followed your suggestion but wasn't able to find Notepad listed on the startup. There are some listed as program but don't know which ones it could be.

JCabebe, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Notepad disappeared

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Thema:

Notepad disappeared

1. Notepad disappeared - Similar Threads - Notepad disappeared

2. Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted: Hi all,I need help here please. I have been working on a project with lots of jottings kept on two separate notepads. This afternoon, I just finished a project review session and I needed to pick my kids up from school.I dashed of the house because I was already late. I...
  3. Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted: Hi all,I need help here please. I have been working on a project with lots of jottings kept on two separate notepads. This afternoon, I just finished a project review session and I needed to pick my kids up from school.I dashed of the house because I was already late. I...
  4. How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared?: How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-unsaved-notepad-files-that/631bc6be-5a94-474e-8dff-8001af5b072b
  5. How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared?: How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-unsaved-notepad-files-that/631bc6be-5a94-474e-8dff-8001af5b072b
  6. How do I recover unsaved notepad files that disappeared?

7. Elements and option have disappeared from my Notepad, word and various other apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Elements and option have disappeared from my Notepad, word and various other apps: Hi, my laptop has never ran into this problem however, from yesterday I have been experiencing problems with word, note pad and other apps. Some of the icons and options have disappeared. For some odd reason I can't paste anything into word or notepad. I have ran a quick scan...
  8. Notepad has disappeared from my Windows 10 PC!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Notepad has disappeared from my Windows 10 PC!: I have Windows 10 and it says I'm up to date with Updates. Until the most recent update, I had Notepad on my machine and a link to it on the taskbar. It's gone now, and I cannot get it to come up on my PC. I tried to download it and install it from Windows Store, but it says...
  9. The Great Disappearing Notepad App

The Great Disappearing Notepad App: My cousin said this was the place to come for help with W10, so I'm here. For some unknown reason my Notepad app (Pictured Below) vanished somehow. I tried looking everywhere to find it again. I checked default apps and everything. Normally, I simply type Notepad in the...
  10. files disappeared from notepad

files disappeared from notepad: I used Notepad to write an essay, saved it onto my desktop, also copied the text onto a Onedrive document, also saved. Came back to complete my essay and both have disappeared from desktop and recent files. I noticed when I switched my laptop on it asked me to create a...