Windows 10: Notepad error on startup

Discus and support Notepad error on startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, New to the forum and hoping for a solution to a small but annoying problem. I have Windows 10 version 1909 (OS build 18363 778) Each time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by James G, May 10, 2020.

1. James G Win User

Notepad error on startup

Hi All,
    New to the forum and hoping for a solution to a small but annoying problem.
    I have Windows 10 version 1909 (OS build 18363 778)

Each time I start up my laptop I get the following, notepad opens with the message

C:\users\my name\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs\startup\desktop.ini

I've tried all I can with my limited tech knowledge to stop this but failed, I know it's not critical but it is annoying, any help would be most welcome.
    Thanks

:)

James G, May 10, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Notepad error on startup

Hi, my first thought would be to carefully examine your startups. Of course you can start with the basic list in the task manager, but Autoruns (free from MS) gives a lot more.

The list is divided into sections; for example you can see those from the Startup folder.

Notepad error on startup [​IMG]

Startups can also be triggered as scheduled tasks (also shown by Autoruns), not just registry locations or the Startup folder.

dalchina, May 10, 2020
  3. JCabebe Win User
    Notepad

I followed your suggestion but wasn't able to find Notepad listed on the startup. There are some listed as program but don't know which ones it could be.

JCabebe, May 10, 2020
  4. Notepad error on startup

Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Notepad error on startup

1. Notepad error on startup - Similar Threads - Notepad error startup

2. Notepad open at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  3. Notepad open at startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  4. Notepad open at startup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Notepad Opens at Windows Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad Opens at Windows Startup: After I turn on my computer, After Windows starts, Notepad opens a file for editing.This behavior only recently started; I'm sure I did something to cause it but I don't know what. The file that is opened is in the root on the c: drive, and I don't recognize the contents. The...
  6. Notepad Opens at Windows Startup

Notepad Opens at Windows Startup: After I turn on my computer, After Windows starts, Notepad opens a file for editing.This behavior only recently started; I'm sure I did something to cause it but I don't know what. The file that is opened is in the root on the c: drive, and I don't recognize the contents. The...
  7. Notepad error on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Notepad error on startup: Hi All, New to the forum and hoping for a solution to a small but annoying problem. I have Windows 10 version 1909 (OS build 18363 778) Each time I start up my laptop I get the following, notepad opens with the message C:\users\my...
  8. Notepad opening on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notepad opening on startup: When I start the laptop - HP DV6, notepad opens with a permission window. "C:\User\user\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini" You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain...
  9. Notepad on startup

Notepad on startup: I recently had to do a factory reset on my Windows 10 laptop. As a result, Notepad began to pop up on startup and display a message. I'd like it to not do that, but haven't figured out how to get it to stop. It doesn't show on the startup menu. I deleted the particular...
  10. Notepad open on startup

Notepad open on startup: When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally. Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup....