Windows 10: Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders

Discus and support Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good day, For some reason I have two byte-wise identical copies of Notepad.exe. One in C:\Windows and one in C:\Windows\System32. If I launch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mmjjkk, Mar 1, 2021.

1. mmjjkk Win User

Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders

Good day,

For some reason I have two byte-wise identical copies of Notepad.exe.

One in C:\Windows and one in C:\Windows\System32.

If I launch C:\Windows\Notepad.exe, it does not display the 'Notepad icon' but instead the generic program icon, as shown below:

Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders dbc55e1b-a7d4-4fba-8733-78ea33e0f56d?upload=true.png

For comparison, the C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, appears as shown below:

Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders 3d0292ca-ff42-4515-bf8f-4ae29d28e98d?upload=true.png

Which Folder is the 'official' one?

I cannot help but suspect that one of the executables C:\Windows\Notepad.exe might be something nasty.

Windows' Antivirus is and always has been on and it did not complain anything when I scanned these files.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

PS. Below is the Windows version information

Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders 5269c0fd-2966-40f6-b49e-2e5b3cb3b162?upload=true.png

:)

mmjjkk, Mar 1, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 1, 2021
  3. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 1, 2021
  4. Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders

Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

Well I found the answer to my question. I should have thought through this a little longer.

Notepad is native in ANSI mode.
    However Wordpad can work in UTF-8 mode.
    I found steps to make Notepad usable in UTF-8 mode but there are a lot of steps and once again there has to be a registry hack to make it work.
    Now how do I make Workpad be listed in the most used application through the Start Menu?

1ThursdayJC, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders

1. Notepad.exe / In two Windows 10 folders - Similar Threads - Notepad exe folders

2. Two Windows Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Windows Folders: There are two windows folders in my C/: drive including the folders System32 & SysWOW64. Whenever I try to open an application, error message pops up exactly as the picture down below.I spent days searching for an answer and ended up here. Please help me to sort out this...
  3. Two Windows Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Windows Folders: There are two windows folders in my C/: drive including the folders System32 & SysWOW64. Whenever I try to open an application, error message pops up exactly as the picture down below.I spent days searching for an answer and ended up here. Please help me to sort out this...
  4. Two Windows Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!: Help me! All my exe files are opening in notepad there's a photo. https://prnt.sc/qf2ukf https://prnt.sc/qf2usd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-exe-icon-are-notepad-icons-and-they-open-in/43bc3b50-c84c-4394-9524-83d016bee18e"
  6. .exe files opening in notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    .exe files opening in notepad: Hey, I was just trying to download a .exe file the other day, and accidentally clicked an option that made it so that every file I now open is opened with notepad. If there is any way to fix this, I would be very happy. Thanks....
  7. Dismhost exe in Temp folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dismhost exe in Temp folder: I keep seeing that a random folder appearing in my Temp folder, folder name is very random with words and mixed numbers. Inside, there is a certain exe named "Dismhost" this pops up almost like every two days or so. Is this normal? I already scanned my computer with...
  8. Windows 10 made two user folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 made two user folders: After fresh installation of windows 10, windows decide to make one more username folder. My default user folder is Jugo, and the new one is Jugo.DESKTOP-RUHDOGV, dont know why windows made it. I know that is not made because of MS account, because I didnt sign in. I would...
  9. EXE in Startup folder not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE in Startup folder not running: Just don't know if it's really worth the trouble, seems like just one issue after another. Latest is I wrote a program that runs on windows 10 just fine from a shortcut on the desktop. I copied the shortcut to the startup folder for my account and did all the compatibility...
  10. Zipped folders opening in notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Zipped folders opening in notepad: I tried to open one ZIP file in notepad and accidentally set them to always open with notepad. I left clicked and pressed open with then notepad. I tried to change it back in properties but I can't figure it out. Unfortunately I had never done a zipped file before so I didn't...