Windows 10: Notepad.EXE Missing

Discus and support Notepad.EXE Missing in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For some odd reason, suddenly notepad's gone missing. It's not in the System32 Directory, and it seems to have completely disappeared from my computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FerretsForever3211, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Notepad.EXE Missing

For some odd reason, suddenly notepad's gone missing. It's not in the System32 Directory, and it seems to have completely disappeared from my computer.

I've checked for Viruses, Malware, and PUP's and have found nothing.

The only thing I've done as of late is update windows and install one game from steam.

Does anyone know why this may have happened, and how I can reinstall notepad?

submitted by /u/FerretsForever3211
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FerretsForever3211, Jul 1, 2020

2. notepad.exe

No, you don't! Try this:

1. Create a desktop shortcut for cmd.exe.
    2. Right-click this shortcut, then left-click "Run as administrator".
    3. Accept the challenge. You will get a black frame.
    4. Type these commands and press Enter after each:

cd \Windows

ren notepad.exe *.org

copy e:\notepad.exe

cd System32

ren notepad.exe *.org

copy e:\notepad.exe
    Note this:

• Notepad.exe exists in two places.
    • You must rename the original version in order to have a safe backout path.
    • My commands assume that the new version resides on drive E:\. Adjust as appropriate!
    • Whether this version of notepad will work remains to be seen.

Frederik Long, Jul 1, 2020
  3. notepad.exe

The plot thickens when you consider this sequence of events:

1. I replaced c:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe with notepad2.exe (a third-party look-alike) while keeping the name "notepad.exe".
    2. I double-clicked some .txt file.
    3. I checked the command line that actually ran. It was

c:\Windows\SysWow64\notepad.exe" D:\dir.txt
    Windows did not like my substitute .exe file and went back to the copy it had in the SysWow64 folder.

Now if you would care to upload to some cloud storage a version of notepad.exe that does NOT feature the find wrap-around then I'll check if I can get it to run on my Win10 1809 PC.

Frederik Long, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Notepad.EXE Missing

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Notepad.EXE Missing

1. Notepad.EXE Missing - Similar Threads - Notepad EXE Missing

2. Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe: I have just bought a new computer, and I've downloaded Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 through steam, and every time i'm trying to open the game I am getting the error message of the following C:\ProgramData\Package...
  3. Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe: I have just bought a new computer, and I've downloaded Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 through steam, and every time i'm trying to open the game I am getting the error message of the following C:\ProgramData\Package...
  4. YourPhone .exe missing

YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  5. YourPhone .exe missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  6. Windows Notepad is missing

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Notepad is missing: Hi, after latest Windows update 17-July-2020, Notepad in my PC has gone missing. I searched for Windows Notepad in Microsoft Store yet unable to install it. It says require update Windows 10 version 19541.0 or higher Despite several attempts, update still unsuccessful....
  7. Notepad is missing on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Notepad is missing on Windows 10?: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 and notepad is missing. Windows is up to date. I've tried running sfc /scannow but it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Any help?...
  8. Exe files missing

Exe files missing: Logged on to find one of my shortcuts Streamlabs chat bot isnt working. Getting the error that its moved. I did a search and the only results were in a deep folder under user\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\localstate\appiconcache\100. There...
  9. All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!: Help me! All my exe files are opening in notepad there's a photo. https://prnt.sc/qf2ukf https://prnt.sc/qf2usd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-exe-icon-are-notepad-icons-and-they-open-in/43bc3b50-c84c-4394-9524-83d016bee18e"
  10. .exe files opening in notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    .exe files opening in notepad: Hey, I was just trying to download a .exe file the other day, and accidentally clicked an option that made it so that every file I now open is opened with notepad. If there is any way to fix this, I would be very happy. Thanks....