Windows 10: Notepad is not updating Recent Files

Discus and support Notepad is not updating Recent Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I right click on the Notepad icon on my toolbar in Windows 10 it gives me a list of Recent Files, but they are only old files that I have opened,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aussiegreg3, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Notepad is not updating Recent Files

When I right click on the Notepad icon on my toolbar in Windows 10 it gives me a list of Recent Files, but they are only old files that I have opened, not any new ones that I have created recently, which are the ones I want to find to get back to quickly.

I have the same problem with Quick Access in Windows Explorer: under the Recent Files (20) heading it lists only old files I have opened recently, and not any new ones I have created recently.

I have to plough through my Windows Explorer tree to the folders in which those files have been saved, relying on my poor memory, unless I have saved to one of the folders shown in Quick Access which do sometimes seem to reflect recent activity and not some ancient average.

I have underpinned Notepad from my toolbar and re-pinned it, but nothing changes. Google can't seem to find me any solution to this problem.

Any thoughts?

:)

aussiegreg3, Nov 25, 2019

2. How do I get Notepad to list recently opened Notepad files?

Today, right clicking on the Notepad icon on the taskbar has stopped giving a list of recently open Notepad files. This list is extremely useful to me. Is there any way to recover this feature ?

UPDATE: When I left click and right click several times, there intermittently appears the list of recently open Notepad files. But I don't have a reliable method for accessing this list. Grrr.

Will much appreciate help.

RobertLightbourne, Nov 25, 2019
  3. Anak Win User
    Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad

Here's win7's notepad recent list:

Notepad is not updating Recent Files [​IMG]

And win10's:

Notepad is not updating Recent Files [​IMG]

4. slozomby Win User

Notepad is not updating Recent Files

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

Notepad is not updating Recent Files

1. Notepad is not updating Recent Files - Similar Threads - Notepad updating Recent

2. Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?: I have a batch file that makes several new folders at a time based on our company's new customer information. I open the batch file in Notepad and paste the data into it from Excel and then save and close it. I then run it as a batch file to create the new folders. I have...
  3. Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?: I have a batch file that makes several new folders at a time based on our company's new customer information. I open the batch file in Notepad and paste the data into it from Excel and then save and close it. I then run it as a batch file to create the new folders. I have...
  4. How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?

How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?: How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar? When I pin notepad app to task bad I was able to add files to it by right mouse button but not after last windows reinstallation. I still can do it with any other app....
  5. How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?: How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar? When I pin notepad app to task bad I was able to add files to it by right mouse button but not after last windows reinstallation. I still can do it with any other app....
  6. NotePad Recent-Files ShortCut.

in Windows 10 Customization
    NotePad Recent-Files ShortCut.: Is there a way for me to re-enable my NotePad’s recent-files shortcut?Once upon a time I pinned NotePad to my TaskBar, and – when I would right-click on it – a list of some of my most recent NotePad files would show up, and the files on that list could be pinned right there...
  7. Debug.txt notepad file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Debug.txt notepad file: What does this error mean when downloading a pdf? [1016/081305.967:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc43] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. 0x3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/debugtxt-notepad-file/ba8e566f-35db-4ff2-b21a-6965bbfed4ad
  8. Is it possible to view recent txt files from Notepad no longer on device?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to view recent txt files from Notepad no longer on device?: Attempting to view the .txt files from my flash drive that has been damaged. submitted by /u/kingvt [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ibrafl/is_it_possible_to_view_recent_txt_files_from/
  9. How do I get Notepad to list recently opened Notepad files?

How do I get Notepad to list recently opened Notepad files?: Today, right clicking on the Notepad icon on the taskbar has stopped giving a list of recently open Notepad files. This list is extremely useful to me. Is there any way to recover this feature ? UPDATE: When I left click and right click several times, there...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad: My (legal) copy of Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad - and Notepad only...*Huh All other apps have it, so what to do? Thank you. [img] 87366