Windows 10: Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share

Discus and support Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After updating from Windows 10 version 1803 to version 1909, I cannot open .txt files that have been saved to SMB shares using Notepad. The files work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by technicaljbb, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share

After updating from Windows 10 version 1803 to version 1909, I cannot open .txt files that have been saved to SMB shares using Notepad. The files work correctly with other applications like Notepad++, and they also worked correctly before the update.

Unfortunately the error message isn't very specific:

Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share 0ca1172a-9eb6-40c8-924d-228123aec389?upload=true.png

This is happening on multiple computers, which leads me to think it might be related to the file server, but I haven't been able to track anything down - and the issue was definitely introduced with the new OS update.

:)

technicaljbb, Dec 17, 2019

2. Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share

After updating from Windows 10 version 1803 to version 1909, I cannot open .txt files that have been saved to SMB shares using Notepad. The files work correctly with other applications like Notepad++, and they also worked correctly before the update.

Unfortunately the error message isn't very specific:

Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share 0ca1172a-9eb6-40c8-924d-228123aec389?upload=true.png

This is happening on multiple computers, which leads me to think it might be related to the file server, but I haven't been able to track anything down - and the issue was definitely introduced with the new OS update.

technicaljbb, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Notepad - Cant drag and drop to open txt

Normally, if I have notepad open, I would be able to click and drag an appropriate file into notepad, like a txt file, and it would open in notepad. Now, when I click and drag files into notepad, nothing happens.

Any Suggestions

VarxtisFoh, Jan 7, 2020
  4. varxtis Win User

Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share

Drag and Drop txt to Notepad won't work

Normally, if I have notepad open, I would be able to click and drag an appropriate file into notepad, like a txt file, and it would open in notepad. Now, when I click and drag files into notepad, nothing happens.
    Any Suggestions.

varxtis, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share

1. Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share - Similar Threads - Notepad unable open

2. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  3. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  4. .txt files not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .txt files not opening: So I've made a python script which basicly just created .txt files. And nothing happened, my program worked and suddenly today I cant open txt files because it sais Widnows cant find the file. But if I do Open With and then sth like Visual Studio Code, it works. And yes in...
  5. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  6. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  7. How do I open txt files with notepad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open txt files with notepad?: This is what happens when i try to open a text file with notepad going to a text file -> open with -> notepad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-txt-files-with-notepad/b007ebf1-b550-4e34-8b96-4d4033f02b3c
  8. How do I open txt files with notepad?

How do I open txt files with notepad?: This is what happens when i try to open a text file with notepad going to a text file -> open with -> notepad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-txt-files-with-notepad/b007ebf1-b550-4e34-8b96-4d4033f02b3c
  9. Unable to access SMB file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  10. text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open

text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open: my computer has been hacked and all of sudden they sent this text documents and it say push enter but it doesn't do anything. also does anyone know how to get the hackers off my computer... any help would be appreciated...