Windows 10: Notepad margins at 0 after Creators update

Discus and support Notepad margins at 0 after Creators update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I noticed after the Creators update that the left and top margins in Notepad are now set to zero, as seen in the attached screenshot. There is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cbiweb, Apr 14, 2017.

1. cbiweb Win User

Notepad margins at 0 after Creators update

I noticed after the Creators update that the left and top margins in Notepad are now set to zero, as seen in the attached screenshot. There is no margin at all between the edge of the Notepad window and the text. It's not a death blow to my work flow, but it's certainly annoying, not to mention just plain wrong, lol.

Notepad margins at 0 after Creators update [​IMG]

[Edit]
    And here is a screenshot of how it used to look, for comparison:
    Is there a reg tweak or something for this?

:)

cbiweb, Apr 14, 2017

2. What happened to the margins in Notepad (Win10)? They were still part of the program in Win 7

Hi CM-NYC,

Being a simple text editor, there aren't many editable settings for notepad.

I did find this
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/81968-n...
    - looks like others have found this upsetting as well. Trying to find a possible tweak for you, but in the meantime have you tried changing the font? I understand that isn't a margin fix, but it may help.

Let me know!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Apr 14, 2017
  3. JimLane1 Win User
    Notepad margins

How do I reset margins in note pad? As of now, the text hugs the edge of the window. I use word wrap. I've tried page setup with no luck. I have the latest Windows 10 with updates.

JimLane1, Apr 14, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Can't you just adjust the margin? Mine is at 0.75 but it lloks like 0.00. I think it has always been that way.

5. Bree New Member
    That only adjusts margins on the printed page, it has no effect of the text as displayed in Notepad.

@cbiweb, are you sure it was any different before? I've just run up Notepad on an XP machine and it looks the same as your screenshot. Changing the font (Format>Font) has a marginal effect. Courier gives slightly more whitespace top and left.

6. cbiweb Win User
    Quite sure, because it's glaringly noticeable to me all of a sudden. And I recall quite clearly that there were a few pixels (10? 12?) of margin in the past. Maybe that was bug and the update fixed it? lol - stranger things have happened!

cbiweb, Apr 14, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Notepad has always been like this - you can only set margins at print time.

cereberus, Apr 14, 2017
  8. cbiweb Win User

So strange. I've never seen it this way until now. Maybe all my versions of Windows through the years had a Notepad bug that created a small margin, and the Creators update fixed it. Wish I had screenshots of past notepad files to show.

cbiweb, Apr 14, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    Mines always had padding, I don't remember it being right to the ledge.

swarfega, Apr 14, 2017
  10. cbiweb Win User
    Here is a new screenshot showing the margin/padding that I remember:

cbiweb, Apr 14, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    I've already said you should try changing the font to Courier. That seems to give the minimal 'margins' as shown in your post #8's screenshot.

12. cbiweb Win User
    Yes, I could do that, but that's not really a solution. The problem/bug still exists.

Edit: Just tried it, and the margin is still so minimal that it's not worth changing it for.

cbiweb, Apr 23, 2017
  13. tvarin Win User

Consolas is default font (and what I am using). I do not yet have the update and Notepad looks fine to me (as in, not pressed up to the edges). Mine looks like the image that you remember. Not helpful, but wanted to say that yours is definitely different.

tvarin, Apr 23, 2017
  14. Oriberu Win User
    Me too!
    I got Creators Update yesterday.
    Just opened a txt file with Notepad and... boom! For some reason it looked different.
    I Googled it and found your experience.
    Same here.
    It is not terrible but definitely weird.
    By the way... when I restart my computer, the log-in screen no longer shows the Windows Spotlight image.
    The user lock screen still shows it, though.
    I lost that feature and all those nice photos at restart.
    Again, not terrible but I don't like when you update the OS and things don't work as good as they used to.

Oriberu, May 10, 2017
  15. Daveeeuk Win User
    The answer is simple, Use Arial Regular.

Daveeeuk, Sep 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Notepad margins at 0 after Creators update - Similar Threads - Notepad margins Creators

2. MARGINS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MARGINS: I'm trying to troubleshoot margins in WORD. I cannot change margins in my document. A Microsoft tech tried for 45 minutes and could not change the margins. Has anyone run across this problem?...
  3. MARGINS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MARGINS: I'm trying to troubleshoot margins in WORD. I cannot change margins in my document. A Microsoft tech tried for 45 minutes and could not change the margins. Has anyone run across this problem?...
  4. MARGINS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Margins

in Windows 10 Customization
    Margins: The content page will not extend to the left margin and neither will the right and that, of course, is so important so I can scroll down the page. What can I do, Community? Thank you....
  6. margin

margin: How to I move the left margin to allow full vision of programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/margin/c8e7b84d-9ac6-4ede-b3be-b3de984e444b
  7. margins in Notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    margins in Notepad: how to adjust margins in Notepad. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/margins-in-notepad/f15a9d14-d4ef-481f-aa76-f1bfb3825591
  8. margins

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    margins: Suddenly my office word top margin disappeared and the cursor goes to the top. I went into Pay Layout and clicked on last margin settings but that did not help. I cannot set the top and bottom margins....
  9. OldNewExplorer problem after creator's update

OldNewExplorer problem after creator's update: Hi guys! when I install the old new explorer , thw folders disappear. I use a custom theme and I have this problem after installing the new update. has anyone else similar issue? Thanks in advance! [img] 82290
  10. Myriad of issues after Creator update

in Windows 10 Support
    Myriad of issues after Creator update: Hey folks, I have been having some rather annoying issued as of installing the Creator update. These issues include: -Incredibly slow boot time -Disk usage maxing out whenever a program is launched -Incredibly slow browser speeds (Using Waterfox. Chrome seems to function...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to set margins on notepad windows 10