Windows 10: Notepad needs to be developed.

Discus and support Notepad needs to be developed. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I do wish Notepad had some of the text manipulation features of Notepad++. None of the program language specific stuff, but to would help a LOT if it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kesto, Feb 19, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Notepad needs to be developed.

If you like those features then just install Notepad++ and don't use notepad. Notepad is perfect for what it's supposed to be. A plain simple editor for very basic needs. Yes, it's very simple but that's the beauty of it and I think it should stay that way.

I know when I took a class in Python many people used Notepad because it was simple and it allowed them to code scripts without having to add any apps.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 20, 2015

2. Yep love notepad the way it is,
    The ultimate text format stripper
    Never used it but isn't Onenote the new and improved notepad *Tongue

ThrashZone, Feb 20, 2015
  3. It doesn't have to be made complicated. But it would be nice if it had some improved text management features to make it more useful.

FuturDreamz, Feb 20, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Notepad uses the standard Edit control to provide editing functions. This control is used in just about every Windows application ever written. Adding editing features to this control raises the possibility of compatibility issues. You would be surprised how even the most trivial changes can cause problems for some applications. I can't see Microsoft risking this to provide features that few people care about.

LMiller7, Feb 20, 2015
  5. davehc Win User
    FuturDreamz.

Surely, then, WordPad is the answer for your requirement. It can save have picture insertions tabs, margins etc. Anything the normal straightforward typist would need? It can, by default, or choice, you can save docs in rtf, XML or plain format.
    As said in other posts, please leave notepad alone, with its simplicity.

davehc, Feb 20, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    It doesn't need to be changed. Notepad is perfect just as it is. If you want more than as mentioned use Word-pad or install another editor. Let's leave notepad alone.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 20, 2015
  7. Notepad++ offers too much and Notepad offers too little. Notepad2 is right in the middle and is my default text editor.

cyberrufus, Feb 20, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

I agree that Notepad is a basic text editor, not a word processor. One doesn't want word processing formatting, some hidden, when working with programming or with basic HTML pages. Sometimes it's easier to pick out a small error in the HTML page versus in a graphical view as in the View Page in a browser.

Berton, Feb 20, 2015
  9. eLaReF Win User
    In fact the new one, Notepad 8, seems to have problems opening 'large' files that my old notepad opens happily.

My ModeS radio and Planeplotter software produces daily logs usually around 2Mb-3Mb of straight text files.
    Notepad 8 just quits after a short while most of the time or, if successful, is a case of dead slow and stop.
    Notepad on the other hand is quite happy opening a 10Mb file (Ok - It might take a bit before it opens)
    So my 'Open With' setting is reset to use the old one, which is fortunately still there.

Note that I'm not editing fields or anything, usually just doing a 'find' to answer a Yahoo group or e-mail question. Any log files older than 3 days get deleted in my system

eLaReF, Aug 17, 2015
  10. the only reason im looking for a new notepad is to have a newer feel or something a bit more metro/ modern

calculator, calendar etc; all have been redesigned

Best notepad apps - Windows 10 - Appy Ninja

some 3rd party options that have a bit more gui:
    FluentNotepad
    Notepad Classic
    ModernNote
    Syncplify.me Notepad
    Notepad7
    Notepad8
    NOTEPAD RT
    Modern Notepad

xboxhaxorz, Sep 30, 2015
  11. Give it time. Windows 10 is a work in progress, and there's still parts that are on the to-do list.

FuturDreamz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Notepad needs to be developed. - Similar Threads - Notepad needs developed

2. I need help with Notepad documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with Notepad documents: I moved my notepad documents to a new computer. When opened I get the error= The cloud file provider is not running" Please help, Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-notepad-documents/0f611967-3bb3-4b4a-b463-a016bdc83abe
  3. I need help with Notepad documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with Notepad documents: I moved my notepad documents to a new computer. When opened I get the error= The cloud file provider is not running" Please help, Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-notepad-documents/0f611967-3bb3-4b4a-b463-a016bdc83abe
  4. Need to Know About Dot Net Development

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Know About Dot Net Development: DOT NET is a software development framework for building applications. Dot NET Core is a cross-platform open-source framework for building applications. It is a new interpretation of the .NET Framework that can be launched across different operating systems and enables the...
  5. Need to Know About Dot Net Development

Need to Know About Dot Net Development: DOT NET is a software development framework for building applications. Dot NET Core is a cross-platform open-source framework for building applications. It is a new interpretation of the .NET Framework that can be launched across different operating systems and enables the...
  6. Developer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Developer: I want to turn on the developer mode on my pc but it tells me *Some settings are managed by your organization and I cant turn it on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/developer/66a77a97-d675-4a2d-b59a-73f2cb78fb54
  7. I need help to find the lost notepad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help to find the lost notepad: I have the notepad folder in my desktop with all my passwords and everything that I need daily but today I don't know it just got deleted or lost cuz I couldn't find it in the recycle bin and it's just not there. Please help me. submitted by /u/mol7ekma [link] [comments]...
  8. Need help with notepad program (.bat)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with notepad program (.bat): Ok, so I have a notepad program working and all using the .bat file extension on MY computer, but I want it to work on anybody’s. Here’s the code: @echo off set number=0 :benchmark start C:\Users\myname\Documents\benchmark.txt set /a number=%number%+1 echo Tabs:...
  9. For developers: Use developer features

in Windows 10 Customization
    For developers: Use developer features: I am trying to edit the use developer features section in the settings and I am trying to change them to sideload apps but I am unable to edit them and it says: *Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization. at the top and I don't know if that has anything to do...
  10. Need A Little Notepad++ Help

Need A Little Notepad++ Help: Can someone tell me how to clear the memory/cache of the "Find" and "Find & Replace" functions in Notepad++? I'm getting quite a long list there. No, it's not the end of the world, but it is bugging me. Appreciate your help. 111889