Windows 10: Notepad no longer opens

Discus and support Notepad no longer opens in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Note pad does not open on my desktop but works ok on my laptop. On my desktop, when I click the Notepad icon only a thumbnail opens at bottom of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CliveS, May 25, 2019.

1. CliveS Win User

Notepad no longer opens

Note pad does not open on my desktop but works ok on my laptop. On my desktop, when I click the Notepad icon only a thumbnail opens at bottom of my screen. The thumbnail is blank and doesn't do anything. Both my desktop and laptop have the latest Windows 10 OS. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

CliveS, May 25, 2019

2. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

Well I found the answer to my question. I should have thought through this a little longer.

Notepad is native in ANSI mode.
    However Wordpad can work in UTF-8 mode.
    I found steps to make Notepad usable in UTF-8 mode but there are a lot of steps and once again there has to be a registry hack to make it work.
    Now how do I make Workpad be listed in the most used application through the Start Menu?

1ThursdayJC, May 25, 2019
  3. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 25, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Notepad no longer opens

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Thema:

Notepad no longer opens

1. Notepad no longer opens - Similar Threads - Notepad longer opens

2. notepad open twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    notepad open twice: Hello.I nnotice from yesterday that win notepad that i am using for ope srt files when clik on a specific file, open two files at the same time!What is going? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-open-twice/9eeaab91-a82a-485a-baf5-520682f3ebae
  3. notepad open twice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    notepad open twice: Hello.I nnotice from yesterday that win notepad that i am using for ope srt files when clik on a specific file, open two files at the same time!What is going? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-open-twice/9eeaab91-a82a-485a-baf5-520682f3ebae
  4. Notepad open at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  5. Notepad open at startup?

Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  6. Notepad open at startup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Notepad won't open

Notepad won't open: I have Windows 10 v 10.0.19041 Build 19041. Today, for some reason, Notepad won't open. I tried downloading it again from MS but received a message that it was already installed in my PC. I ran an SFC scan and everything was okay. My updates are up to date. How can I...
  8. open with notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    open with notepad: when opening a GPX file I selected notepad and unintentionally clicked always open with this. I how do I undo this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-with-notepad/736714d7-c63b-4e76-a581-7568d00a2118"
  9. Notepad will no longer resize

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notepad will no longer resize: Notepad will no longer resize when I try go drag the sides, it will maximise or minimise only. Note I use Notepad from my task bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/notepad-will-no-longer-resize/a44ba5ca-cace-41d6-94c0-fa97b4b2a80c
  10. Notepad open on startup

Notepad open on startup: When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally. Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup....