Windows 10: Notepad no longer retains history on taskbar shortcut

Discus and support Notepad no longer retains history on taskbar shortcut in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Up until recently, I could right-click on the Notepad icon on my task bar, and it would pop up a menu of the most recent files I've edited with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ed McCarroll, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Notepad no longer retains history on taskbar shortcut

Up until recently, I could right-click on the Notepad icon on my task bar, and it would pop up a menu of the most recent files I've edited with notepad. I could also pin files to that menu.

Suddenly, this has stopped working.

Anybody know how to regain the full functionality?

:)

Ed McCarroll, Oct 24, 2018

2. Pinning a Notepad file to taskbar.

This is no longer possible, but there is a small different due to a feature called Jumplist. If you keep the Notepad shortcut pinned to the Taskbar, you should be able to access the frequently accessed file from the Notepad jump list. Just right click
    Notepad and you should see the file, you can pin it within the list so its always available.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 24, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    how do you add the notepad desktop app to the taskbar

Hi Erica, go to where you normally start Notepad from, right click that shortcut and choose 'Pin to Taskbar'

Or, click your Start Button, type notepad. The in the resulting list, right click Notepad and choose 'Pin to Start'

That's It!

DaveM121, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Notepad no longer retains history on taskbar shortcut

How do I add a shortcut to the Taskbar on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are unable to add a shortcut to the taskbar in Windows 10. You are right that there is no option to pin the shortcut to the taskbar. However, you should be able to drag and drop the shortcut to the taskbar. If you are unable
    to do that try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

• Open the network connection page by clicking on the shortcut.
    • Once that page is open, you could see the same in the taskbar.
    • Now, right click on the icon of network connection in the taskbar which is representing your shortcut.
    • Select the option pin to the taskbar.
    • Now the shortcut will be pinned to the taskbar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Notepad no longer retains history on taskbar shortcut

1. Notepad no longer retains history on taskbar shortcut - Similar Threads - Notepad longer retains

2. Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...: This is on Windows 11 Pro.As I did with Windows 10, I'd like to have a shortcut to Notepad on my taskbar.TO that Notepad shortcut, I'd like to pin a text file, as a Jump List, I think.A single left click gets you Notepad. A right click lets you choose the text file.It's easy...
  3. Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11: With a Notepad shortcut on the taskbar, How to pin a text file TO that Notepad...: This is on Windows 11 Pro.As I did with Windows 10, I'd like to have a shortcut to Notepad on my taskbar.TO that Notepad shortcut, I'd like to pin a text file, as a Jump List, I think.A single left click gets you Notepad. A right click lets you choose the text file.It's easy...
  4. Taskbar Doesn't Retain Pin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Doesn't Retain Pin: I have an App Twitter pinned to my taskbar. The taskbar is locked. Yet if I quit the app, it disappears from the taskbar, and I have to launch it for Start agin and try to pin it to the taskbar....
  5. Notepad edit history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad edit history: Hello all! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, please let me know where I should post it if it isn't. I've gotten into coding a lot recently and have been using notepad as my working program. Recently, I made a simple little program but accidentally edited something...
  6. Windows notepad “find” history

Windows notepad “find” history: Hey guys cant get my hands on this but Im trying to find a way to clear the find history in notepad. it always shows the last word I searched for. Is their a way to do this? 163181
  7. Why does Notepad not retain larger size?

Why does Notepad not retain larger size?: I always make Notepad the maximum size, i.e. the size of my monitor. But then Windows always shrinks it down to a tiny size with each login / boot. Is there any way to force it to stay larger?...
  8. Notepad no longer opens

Notepad no longer opens: Note pad does not open on my desktop but works ok on my laptop. On my desktop, when I click the Notepad icon only a thumbnail opens at bottom of my screen. The thumbnail is blank and doesn't do anything. Both my desktop and laptop have the latest Windows 10 OS. Any help would...
  9. Notepad shortcuts swapped

Notepad shortcuts swapped: Good evening. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my hard drive, due to a problem now fixed. For default language settings I use Portuguese (PT-PT), but for some reason, when I tried saving a .txt file using CTRL+G (which is the portuguese combination to "guardar") I got...
  10. Notepad will no longer resize

Notepad will no longer resize: Notepad will no longer resize when I try go drag the sides, it will maximise or minimise only. Note I use Notepad from my task bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/notepad-will-no-longer-resize/a44ba5ca-cace-41d6-94c0-fa97b4b2a80c