Windows 10: Notepad on startup

Discus and support Notepad on startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had to do a factory reset on my Windows 10 laptop. As a result, Notepad began to pop up on startup and display a message. I'd like it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ewormuth, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ewormuth Win User

Notepad on startup

I recently had to do a factory reset on my Windows 10 laptop. As a result, Notepad began to pop up on startup and display a message. I'd like it to not do that, but haven't figured out how to get it to stop. It doesn't show on the startup menu. I deleted the particular message (and at this point I don't know what it said) but it still pops up every time I start the computer.

Any ideas? Thanks.

:)

ewormuth, Aug 7, 2019
  2. JCabebe Win User

Notepad

I followed your suggestion but wasn't able to find Notepad listed on the startup. There are some listed as program but don't know which ones it could be.

JCabebe, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 7, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Notepad on startup

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Bree, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

Notepad on startup

1. Notepad on startup - Similar Threads - Notepad startup

2. At startup, this notepad opens happens from 1 month ago

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    At startup, this notepad opens happens from 1 month ago: Good morning,When I startup the computer, a notepad pops up with some errors lines. I searched a lot of information in threads and I deleted cache in %appdata%, deleted the regedit folder of Teams etc, even I created the folder again in the route where the message asks to see...
  3. At startup, this notepad opens happens from 1 month ago

in Windows 10 Gaming
    At startup, this notepad opens happens from 1 month ago: Good morning,When I startup the computer, a notepad pops up with some errors lines. I searched a lot of information in threads and I deleted cache in %appdata%, deleted the regedit folder of Teams etc, even I created the folder again in the route where the message asks to see...
  4. At startup, this notepad opens happens from 1 month ago

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Notepad File Opening at Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad File Opening at Startup: A day i created a file with some informations about my Laptop and setted to auto-run when i log in my local account, now i want make the file stop running automatically when i login, i tried to delete but Notepad keeps opening. File was on my DesktopHow i can fix that?I put...
  6. Notepad File Opening at Startup

Notepad File Opening at Startup: A day i created a file with some informations about my Laptop and setted to auto-run when i log in my local account, now i want make the file stop running automatically when i login, i tried to delete but Notepad keeps opening. File was on my DesktopHow i can fix that?I put...
  7. Notepad open at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  8. Notepad open at startup?

Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  9. Notepad open at startup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Notepad Opens at Windows Startup

Notepad Opens at Windows Startup: After I turn on my computer, After Windows starts, Notepad opens a file for editing.This behavior only recently started; I'm sure I did something to cause it but I don't know what. The file that is opened is in the root on the c: drive, and I don't recognize the contents. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootup notepad on startup using registry