Windows 10: Notepad, Paint, and Terminal cannot start the second time unless reset the app

Discus and support Notepad, Paint, and Terminal cannot start the second time unless reset the app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and found the new Notepad and Paint app amazing. These apps started successfully the first time after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hrukalive, Nov 29, 2023.

1. hrukalive Win User

Notepad, Paint, and Terminal cannot start the second time unless reset the app

I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and found the new Notepad and Paint app amazing. These apps started successfully the first time after installation, but then they could not be opened the second time saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file". These two paths are Microsoft.Paint_11.2309.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe and Microsoft.WindowsNotepad_11.2309.28.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe and Microsoft.WindowsTerminal_1.18.3181.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbweThis is a very common issue I found many people had. However, changing ownership, changing permissions, and resetting WindowsApps permissi

:)

hrukalive, Nov 29, 2023

2. Unable to open Notepad or MS Paint

I have a desktop PC with Windows 10. I use both Notepad and MS Paint frequently and they both recently stopped opening. Clicking the taskbar shortcuts to open them doesn't cause them to open; the mouse switches to the "loading" throbber, but reverts back after about a second without opening any windows. The same thing occurs when I locate the *.exe files in the system32 folder. There is no error message or change in state to screenshot.

The following descriptions say "Notepad," but in each case I have tried the steps for both MS Paint and Notepad, and I'm looking for help with both. Based on suggestions from around the internet I have tried:

1. running notepad as an administrator (both from the taskbar shortcut and by locating notepad.exe in the file explorer).
    2. resetting the cache for the Windows store (using "WSReset.exe") and then running notepad.
    3. uninstalling and then reinstalling notepad via Settings>Apps and features>Optional features.
    4. restarting computer
    5. updating computer and then restarting
    6. uninstalling notepad, restarting, reinstalling notepad.
    Windows specifications from Settings>System>About are:

Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎1/‎16/‎2023
    OS build 19045.2728
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

A. Shaw Thorall, Nov 29, 2023
  3. paint and notepad error

If the issue is only with Paint and Notepad apps, you can switch to the classic version of those apps for the time being.

1. Open Settings → Apps.
    2. Expand “More settings” and click “App execution aliases.”
    3. Disable the “Notepad” alias by turning off the radio button.
    (Ref: Restore the Old Notepad in Windows 11)

Similarly, the classic Paint can be restored from the Windows 10 ISO.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 29, 2023
  4. John DeV Win User

Wordpad, paint, notepad not working

Hello vijaydesai741,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with notepad, wordpad and paint not working. What is your current Windows edition and version? Press Start then search Settings,
    select System then About.

Please try to reinstall Paint, Wordpad and Notepad if it helps.

Press Start then search Manage optional features

Find Notepad on the list then click Uninstall

Restart your PC

After that, Press Start then search then search Manage optional features

Click Add a feature

Select Notepad then Install

Please try to open Notepad

Do the same for Microsoft Paint and Wordpad

Please try to check Wordpad on this location

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

Independent Advisor

John DeV, Nov 29, 2023
Thema:

1. Notepad, Paint, and Terminal cannot start the second time unless reset the app - Similar Threads - Notepad Paint Terminal

2. Notepad, Paint, and Terminal cannot start the second time unless reset the app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad, Paint, and Terminal cannot start the second time unless reset the app: I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and found the new Notepad and Paint app amazing. These apps started successfully the first time after installation, but then they could not be opened the second time saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file"....
  3. Notepad and Paint cannot start the second time unless reset the app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad and Paint cannot start the second time unless reset the app: I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and found the new Notepad and Paint app amazing. These apps started successfully the first time after installation, but then they could not be opened the second time saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file"....
  4. Notepad and Paint cannot start the second time unless reset the app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad and Paint cannot start the second time unless reset the app: I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and found the new Notepad and Paint app amazing. These apps started successfully the first time after installation, but then they could not be opened the second time saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file"....
  5. paint and notepad error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    paint and notepad error: i have tried to reset and reinstall the application but it doen't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paint-and-notepad-error/8a7f0ba5-d60d-477d-a303-5d73babdce7b
  6. paint and notepad error

paint and notepad error: i have tried to reset and reinstall the application but it doen't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paint-and-notepad-error/8a7f0ba5-d60d-477d-a303-5d73babdce7b
  7. Notepad, Paint, script cannot work on Windows 11 SV2

Notepad, Paint, script cannot work on Windows 11 SV2: I have some question. My system is Windows SV2 22621. After restore laptop to factory image, it could not use notepad open notepad, Photos open image file and script to execute some UWP application first time, but could be work at second time. How would to fix this problem.TW...
  8. Notepad, Paint, script cannot work on Windows 11 SV2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad, Paint, script cannot work on Windows 11 SV2: I have some question. My system is Windows SV2 22621. After restore laptop to factory image, it could not use notepad open notepad, Photos open image file and script to execute some UWP application first time, but could be work at second time. How would to fix this problem.TW...
  9. Wordpad, paint, notepad not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wordpad, paint, notepad not working: After system repair, wordpad & paint not getting open. Message is appearing as "unable to create new document". Notepad not even responding at all. Someone has given soluation that Wordpad.exe file should be at correct location. But i am not able to find out that file also....
  10. Connection Times Out Unless Start Menu is Opened

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection Times Out Unless Start Menu is Opened: I have a user who is having trouble accessing sites on Google Chrome. When they try to load a site there will be a message saying establishing secure connection and the connection will eventually time out. One strange thing I have noticed is that if the start menu is opened...