Windows 10: Notepad question - Windows 10

Discus and support Notepad question - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am a regular user of good ol' Notepad. I use it for quick text copy and paste stuff, among other things. I have a rather technical question about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jakeharper, May 19, 2020.

1. Notepad question - Windows 10

I am a regular user of good ol' Notepad. I use it for quick text copy and paste stuff, among other things.

I have a rather technical question about settings:

In older versions of notepad, a double-click of the following string would highlight the whole "word" from "" to "", inclusive

1-2-3-4

Now it just highlights one character.

Also, delete to end of line used to be ctrl+del.

Now it's ctrl+shift+del.

I even went so far as replacing notepad.exe with an older version from XP. But there's no difference, which means the settings aren't really in the exe file itself.

Is there any way to change those subtle settings? Is it a notepad thing? A windows thing?

In itself, those differences don't seem like much but with heavy use when you're zipping through working with text, the extra key strokes add up.

:)

jakeharper, May 19, 2020

2. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

Well I found the answer to my question. I should have thought through this a little longer.

Notepad is native in ANSI mode.
    However Wordpad can work in UTF-8 mode.
    I found steps to make Notepad usable in UTF-8 mode but there are a lot of steps and once again there has to be a registry hack to make it work.
    Now how do I make Workpad be listed in the most used application through the Start Menu?

1ThursdayJC, May 19, 2020
  3. notepad

Hi Rich,

I suggest that you use "WordPad" in Windows 10 to accomplish your task. Notepad is just too basic for this function.

I Hope This Helps

If My Reply Answered Your Question, Please Mark It Answered. Thank-You

Leprechaun J, May 19, 2020
  4. Notepad question - Windows 10

Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Notepad question - Windows 10

1. Notepad question - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Notepad question

2. how do you do spell check in notepad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do you do spell check in notepad?: How do you do spell check in notepad? How do you make only one line Bold and not the whole page? How do you underline only one word?I went into file, edit and view, I found how to change the font but it changes the entire page even if I highlight just one line. Confused...
  3. how do you do spell check in notepad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do you do spell check in notepad?: How do you do spell check in notepad? How do you make only one line Bold and not the whole page? How do you underline only one word?I went into file, edit and view, I found how to change the font but it changes the entire page even if I highlight just one line. Confused...
  4. Why is notepad forcing me to save, even if autosave is turned on? WINDOWS 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is notepad forcing me to save, even if autosave is turned on? WINDOWS 11: title, literally im going actually insane, i have to use task manager to close notepad so it autosaves, what is going on???It never used to be like that, it only started happening recently. Heres a photo:...
  5. Why is notepad forcing me to save, even if autosave is turned on? WINDOWS 11

Why is notepad forcing me to save, even if autosave is turned on? WINDOWS 11: title, literally im going actually insane, i have to use task manager to close notepad so it autosaves, what is going on???It never used to be like that, it only started happening recently. Heres a photo:...
  6. Notepad question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad question: I used to be able to simply close out of Notepad and all of my tabs in that session would automatically save and reopen when I would open Notepad again, but now it's asking me to save each tab every time when I try to close Notepad. Very annoying! How do we fix this?...
  7. Notepad question

Notepad question: I used to be able to simply close out of Notepad and all of my tabs in that session would automatically save and reopen when I would open Notepad again, but now it's asking me to save each tab every time when I try to close Notepad. Very annoying! How do we fix this?...
  8. .csv Format And Notepad Question ?

in Windows 10 Support
    .csv Format And Notepad Question ?: Hello, I have a radio control programs that uses files copied from various sources to control a sw radio. But, these files must be in .csv format. (perhaps I should be saying that the data in the file must be in .csv format) Let's say I have done a COPY from a web source...
  9. Notepad printing question

Notepad printing question: How do i print in notepad and display the .txt suffix to the filename on the top printout? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-printing-question/ed207e15-8e6d-4da8-846f-98cba07739cb
  10. Odd question? Is it possible to link files to wordpad or notepad?

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd question? Is it possible to link files to wordpad or notepad?: Okay here's what I'm trying to do but don't know how or even if its possible. I want to make my files for movies more unique. What I'm trying to do is place a image of the show I want and then name the file as "Season 1" and then in order place a link from the file. It...