Windows 10: Notepad running next to gedit using the initial WSL GUI app support

Discus and support Notepad running next to gedit using the initial WSL GUI app support in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/itsme-alan [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/itsme-alan, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Notepad running next to gedit using the initial WSL GUI app support

/u/itsme-alan, Apr 28, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Preview of GUI app support available for Windows Subsystem for Linux

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...m-for-linux-2/

Tenforo, Apr 28, 2021
  3. Launch GUI Application in WSL without XServer

I have installed windows 10 (b.1703) creators update recently and I am using ubuntu subsystem(WSL).There I have installed Visual Studio Code successfully.Problem is that any GUI elements required application cannot be launched(no GUI will be elements displayed reason may be WSL has no direct Graphic driver support).

VSCOE Launch

gEdit Launch

I wanted to know How to provide graphic driver support to WSL in order to facilitate GUI applications? without installing 3rd party software such as XMing-Xserver,putty etc.

Else do we have any other mechanism to achieve it ? only modifying Ubuntu(Linux subsystem) side? other than switching to Windows 10 Insider preview builds?

Buddhika Chaturanga, Apr 28, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Notepad running next to gedit using the initial WSL GUI app support

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Thema:

Notepad running next to gedit using the initial WSL GUI app support

1. Notepad running next to gedit using the initial WSL GUI app support - Similar Threads - Notepad running next

2. Payful Gedit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Payful Gedit: Good day!I wanted to install a free cross-platform text editor. The choice fell on the well-known to me "Gedit". I found out on the official website that it can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store. But I was surprised that here it is paid. My question is why are you...
  3. Can't run lunix application GUI via WSL 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't run lunix application GUI via WSL 2: Dears.I hope you doing well and Thanks for you effort.I install Ubuntu via WSL 2 and it's work fine with line command but when want to run an application i get the below message, i try all the solution that find in the internet but it's not work with me, i don't know if the...
  4. Can't run lunix application GUI via WSL 2

Can't run lunix application GUI via WSL 2: Dears.I hope you doing well and Thanks for you effort.I install Ubuntu via WSL 2 and it's work fine with line command but when want to run an application i get the below message, i try all the solution that find in the internet but it's not work with me, i don't know if the...
  5. Can't run lunix application GUI via WSL 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Couldn't use wsl gui

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Couldn't use wsl gui: [ATTACH] Please don't direct me to any other forum. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/couldnt-use-wsl-gui/43e9e847-7b06-42f5-9510-b0d1a5c43857
  7. Introducing Linux GUI apps running on Windows using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Introducing Linux GUI apps running on Windows using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/no_quests [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mvlwj9/introducing_linux_gui_apps_running_on_windows/
  8. Cannot run GUI app on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot run GUI app on WSL 2: I want to open some GUI apps on WSL 2 using Windows Insider 19640, but it doesn't work. For example, if I want to open gthumb in Ubuntu terminal, it throws an error: lemma@DESKTOP-TE65AIF:~$ xhost + xhost: unable to open display ":0" lemma@DESKTOP-TE65AIF:~$ gthumb...
  9. Running a .exe with no GUI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running a .exe with no GUI: I use Linux on my home computer, but at most other places it’s Windows 10. I created a Python script to ask the user for a password and if it’s correct it’ll display my passwords. This is obviously insecure because the user could edit the file and see all the data that’ll be...
  10. Run Ubuntu (WSL) app minimized

Run Ubuntu (WSL) app minimized: Ordinarily, I can right click on an app to trace back to the application file in File Explorer, open its properties tab, and set it to run minimized from there. With Ubuntu, that isn't possible. So how can I make it run minimized?...