Windows 10: Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix

Discus and support Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been getting these twice a month despite Settings>Preferences>Misc>Enable Notepad++ auto-updater being set to off. I'm using the portable version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Farvatten, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Farvatten Win User

Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix

I've been getting these twice a month despite Settings>Preferences>Misc>Enable Notepad++ auto-updater being set to off. I'm using the portable version of Notepad++ v. 7.7, and so I'm not sure if this behavior is happening with the installed version or not. This may be intentional behavior. I found it an annoyance.

Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix [​IMG]

I was able to suppress them by setting the date forward in the config.xml:

<GUIConfig name="noUpdate" intervalDays="15" nextUpdateDate="20250721">yes</GUIConfig>

Note: If I tried to edit the 'config.xml file with Notepad++ itself, obviously it will overwrite the changes. So either use Notepad or make a copy and paste in back into the proper directory after Notepad++ is closed. You might want to test this by setting the value to today's date with another editor and then opening Notepad++. I've been consistently get the notice every time as it then sets the nextUpdateDate to today+intervalDays

:)

Farvatten, Jul 21, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

3. Notepad++ 7.3.3 update fixes CIA vulnerability

Notepad++ 7.3.3 update fixes CIA vulnerability - gHacks Tech News

lehnerus2000, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix

Notepad and reccomended updates

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that you are facing issues with the notepad as you are not able to pin it to the taskbar by right clicking it.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better,

Are you getting any error message while you are right clicking on the notepad?

Are you able to pin other applications to taskbar?

Are you referring to notebook app or notepad?

For query 1:

Yes the recommended updates comes through Windows update. Through Windows Store you can update only apps.

Please be informed that, on Windows 10 whenever the system get connected to the Internet the Windows update will automatically downloaded and install the same based on the settings.

If you are facing issue updating Windows 10 run update troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Update. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Windows update.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.
    For query 2:

As a workaround please follow the below steps and check if it works,

1. Type Notepad in the Search bar Right click and
    Pin to Start.

2. Drag the notepad from the start menu to taskbar and check if it works.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anup Karkal, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix

1. Notepad++ update notices despite preferences set unenabled - fix - Similar Threads - Notepad++ update notices

2. Recording Preferences Setting not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recording Preferences Setting not showing: In Gaming > Captures the setting "Recording Preferences" does not show and displays a grey bar instead. It was working a fine few days ago. How can I fix this problem? I've restarted the laptop several times but nothing changed....
  3. set global preferred gpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    set global preferred gpu: Hi, I know it's possible to set preferred GPU app by app, but can I set one globally? My intention is to set iGPU as default and I'll just add "exception" apps that should run dGPU to save battery life. I've already set default gpu to igpu in nvidia control panel, but it...
  4. set date notepad

set date notepad: set date in note pad * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-date-notepad/7f40baf8-3007-45a8-857a-69c73f3d69d2
  5. Set WiFi Preference Order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set WiFi Preference Order: Hello, Back in the day Windows 7 had a nice option to set a priority order for WiFi networks and I could just rearrange that in GUI. Windows 10 misses that option. There is still a preference order but it cannot be altered in GUI it seems. Do you know a way? If not, can...
  6. New Settings notices

in Windows 10 Support
    New Settings notices: I'm not sure when these 2 showed up, but I just noticed them today. [img] I don't use OneDrive & have Updates set the way I want, so how do I remove these notices? 168294
  7. Setting update preferences in windows 1903

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting update preferences in windows 1903: Hi there I've just done the update to windows 10 (Pro) 1903 I went to the updates options to see what options i have, and so far as i can tell the controls for targeted updates, and the ability to defer an update for a specified amount of days has gone. I'm aware that i...
  8. setting language preferences

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting language preferences: I would like to change from the Spanish language to the English language in Windows, including the language that is displayed in File Explorer. Any suggestions would be appreciated!` "Editar opciones de idioma y teclado" leads to the window below. It shows English, as I...
  9. fix notepad

fix notepad: How do I fix notepad's next? to delete a server name. it is jammed up at using next to find next. name of server is for xbox networking. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-notepad/03fccca4-8307-4455-9b7c-b9e233dabc68
  10. Notepad++ 7.3.3 update fixes CIA vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Notepad++ 7.3.3 update fixes CIA vulnerability: The developers of the popular third-party text editor Notepad++ released version 7.3.3 which fixes a vulnerability found in the leaked Vault 7 files. Wikileaks started to release so-called Vault 7 files the other day; a cache of confidential documents on the U.S. Central...