Windows 10: Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

Discus and support Notepad window size seems to grow with each use? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, Oct 29, 2018.

1. questorfla Win User

Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the first time i ran it. However, i noticed that each subsequent use of Notepad appears to increase the values so that after using it a few times, i am back to the opening window being so large it runs off the edge of the screen. Oddly, it seems to always extend beyond the left edge rather than the right.

Running the batch file again, puts things back to the correct settings but i am not sure why they keep changing.
    It seems to do the same whether I open a .txt file or a .bat file. *Huh I should add that notepad++ seems to also stay in this over-sized mode. I have tried holding the Ctrl key when closing but this doesn't appear to help anything.

:)

questorfla, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

3. john barr Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

i dont know what the problem is , looks like i need to format C

john barr, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Eeshwar Kumar Win User

Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use? - Similar Threads - Notepad window size

2. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?: At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the first time i ran it. However, i noticed that each subsequent use of Notepad appears to increase the values so that after...
  3. How to increase font size in notepad?

How to increase font size in notepad?: How to increase font size in notepad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-font-size-in-notepad/274436d1-8011-49da-bb08-47df51d2359e
  4. App download size keeps growing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App download size keeps growing: I wanted to re download Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition, but after the download reached the app's size, the app just keeps on downloading and the size of the app follows with it. As of right now, the app's size went from around 50 gb to 115 gb and I'm not sure what to do....
  5. notepad use

notepad use: Notepad will not open up on my laptop. It keeps going back to a blank screen every time I go to open it. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/notepad-use/56c3ed35-f2ce-495d-97f2-c68baffb1f48
  6. Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backup File Size Is Growing: I've backed up my registry twice recently, and I noticed a huge difference in the size of the backup file. Two days ago, the backup I created was 18,066 KB. The one I created this morning is 247,691 KB. Should I be concerned about this, and, if so, what can I do about it? 29317
  7. how to change size of Notepad Files.Windows 10 Home.

in Windows 10 Support
    how to change size of Notepad Files.Windows 10 Home.: how to change size of Notepad Files.Windows 10 Home. Hi, I am having the same trouble as I did with my Folders which was fixed,thanks guys, when I open a Notepad Folder it opens up and fills the screen ( attachments to add ), I am using a friends monitor for a few more days...
  8. Where's The Registry Location For The Notepad Window Size?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where's The Registry Location For The Notepad Window Size?: The window size (horizontally & vertically) for Notepad is stored somewhere in the Registry. Does anyone know where the location of it is? 74884
  9. Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing: The space used on C:\ for Win 10 seems to be growing for no apparent reason. I started out with about 35 GB used and am now up to 50 GB used. I have added no software, but done all updates. The Windows folder size is 20.5 GB, just about what it always has been. I have a...
  10. Windows 10 seems to be using old icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 seems to be using old icons: Hey dudes, After many attempts I finally managed to install Windows 10 on my Art Tablet PC ( samsung series 7 slate XE700T1A-A01UK ) and it works perfectly expect one niggle. It would appear that the icons on the desktop are still Win7, I have Win10 installed on my...