Windows 10: Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

Discus and support Notepad window size seems to grow with each use? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by questorfla, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the first time i ran it. However, i noticed that each subsequent use of Notepad appears to increase the values so that after using it a few times, i am back to the opening window being so large it runs off the edge of the screen. Oddly, it seems to always extend beyond the left edge rather than the right.

Running the batch file again, puts things back to the correct settings but i am not sure why they keep changing.
    It seems to do the same whether I open a .txt file or a .bat file. *Huh I should add that notepad++ seems to also stay in this over-sized mode. I have tried holding the Ctrl key when closing but this doesn't appear to help anything.

:)

questorfla, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

3. john barr Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

i dont know what the problem is , looks like i need to format C

john barr, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

1. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use? - Similar Threads - Notepad window size

2. Notepad window size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad window size: Every time I launch notepad, the default window is too big for my screen and it appears in the top left corner. I have to use the Windows+Arrow shortcut to move it in the right place each time. Is there a way to restore the default settings as it used to just open a small...
  3. Notepad window size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad window size: Every time I launch notepad, the default window is too big for my screen and it appears in the top left corner. I have to use the Windows+Arrow shortcut to move it in the right place each time. Is there a way to restore the default settings as it used to just open a small...
  4. Notepad window size

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. notepad sizing

notepad sizing: I need better control of the window sizing of the new notepad. The old notepad worked fine. How can the window be narrower and shorter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-sizing/3ca80777-6257-434b-aaee-f79a13aeb1d5
  6. notepad sizing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    notepad sizing: I need better control of the window sizing of the new notepad. The old notepad worked fine. How can the window be narrower and shorter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-sizing/3ca80777-6257-434b-aaee-f79a13aeb1d5
  7. Notepad & Paint alternatives that save size of each window?

Notepad & Paint alternatives that save size of each window?: Just spent 30 seconds downloading Greenshot and 30 minutes uninstalling it without ever being able to open and use it, so guess I'll stay with MS "fix what's not broken" snipping tool. Which saving as Paint files I use a LOT, and Notepad even more. __Both of which serve 99%...
  8. Taskbar growing in size Resolved

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar growing in size Resolved: I was having this problem where my taskbar would continue to move upwards on my screen whenever I opened a new program. I had checked this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-growing-in-size/32a4f70c-da97-476d-9f4e-dc00e18072be for an answer,...
  9. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

in Windows 10 Support
    Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?: At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the first time i ran it. However, i noticed that each subsequent use of Notepad appears to increase the values so that after...
  10. Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing: The space used on C:\ for Win 10 seems to be growing for no apparent reason. I started out with about 35 GB used and am now up to 50 GB used. I have added no software, but done all updates. The Windows folder size is 20.5 GB, just about what it always has been. I have a...