Windows 10: Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows

Discus and support Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Sometimes, we may need a quick way to write down something. Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows that can be used for that.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 9, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows

Sometimes, we may need a quick way to write down something. Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows that can be used for that.

Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows Notes-is-a-simple-and-free-note-taking-application-for-Windows.jpg

The program is portable, but when you run it for the first time, the program will create an INI file to save its settings, and a "savedNotes" folder to store your notes. The main interface is called the Notes Manager. It lists the Notes that you create and uses the first line of the note as its title. You can sort the list by name, date created, date modified and may sort it based on those parameters.

Let's create a note. To do this, click on the New Note button in the top right corner. The program uses its internal editor which resembles Notepad. There are no formatting options available in it, though there is a context-menu with basic editing options (select, copy, paste, undo, redo, etc).

Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows Notes-editor.jpg

The options on the bottom can be used to open the note in an external editor, delete the note or save the note. The program saves each note in its own text file (.TXT), and the saving process is automatic. Notes uses your default text editor, i.e., Notepad as the External Editor. If you want to use something else, you will need to select your preferred editor's EXE from the Settings screen.

Right-click inside the Notes Manager to access the context menu. It lets you open a note that you have selected (using the internal editor), open a note in an external editor, open the folder where the note is saved, or copy the note's contents in a single click. You can also use it to create new notes or delete selected ones. I don't know if it's a bug, but the internal editor has an issue displaying the text in the first line. The simplest way to get around this is to hit enter to go to the next line, and use it.

The Search bar at the top of the window can be used to search for notes (only searches the title). If you have the Grep.exe which you can get from UnxUtils, you can use it to search inside the notes contents.

Click the Settings/About button to access Notes options. This screen has a "close to tray" option, which will minimize the application to the system tray. The application can also be set to start with Windows. The tray icon can be used to create a new note or view the Notes manager.

Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows Notes-settings.jpg

The Settings page can be used to select the font style and size that's used in your notes. The Linkify URLs option makes web-addresses "clickable", so they open in your web browser. Define your own keyboard shortcut combination to be used as the hotkey to create a new note, you can also set one to open the Notes Manager quickly.

Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows Notes-hotkey.jpg

Notes is written by Cresstone, the developer of clipLogger and LinkMaker.

Initially, I noticed some minor stutters when closing a note, it would take a second longer than other programs. Maybe it's because it was saving the data to the disk. The developer calls Notes a "sticky notes" application, but there is no widget that you can place on the screen. So, it's technically just a note-taking program. If you're looking for a sticky note program, you can try PNotes.NET or Simple Sticky Notes.

The lack of complex features is what makes Notes a very good no-nonsense note-taking program. The executable is just about 127KB.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 9, 2020

2. the sticky note application.

Hi,

Sticky Notes is one of the default programs for Windows 10. Type Sticky Notes in the search box, then press enter. If you are encountering an error opening Sticky Notes, we recommend resetting the application. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Apps, then Apps & features in the left pane.
    • Locate Sticky Notes, then click Advanced options.
    • Click Reset.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Sticky Note Missing

Hi KeithRawlings,

I'm Charles, an Independent advisor trying to help.

Let's see if with the following steps we can solve the problem:

1.- Open >> Sticky notes, when located on the taskbar (Right click on the option) >> Select: List of Notes, now check if your note is in that list.

2.- Follow the steps suggested by the Windows MVP in your article

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-sticky-notes-lost...

I hope the steps work for you

Attentive to any comments

Have a happy day

Best Regards,

Charles.

CharlesJones32, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Sticky Notes

Hi Angie,

There are several factors why your sticky notes may have an issue. It can be due to outdated application or wrong configuration settings. To better isolate your concern, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried checking the Settings?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you may follow the steps provided by Jaz333
    on this
    thread
    . It will let you use the old sticky notes.

Keeps us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Notes is a simple and free note-taking application for Windows - Similar Threads - Notes simple free

2. Taskbar integrated To-do/note taking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar integrated To-do/note taking: Is there a way to integrate the Microsoft to do or any other form of a to-do list or note form of note-taking (not sticky notes), into the taskbar (NOT PIN OR LINK) similar to how the calendar works in the taskbar with a feature to pin the menu so that it is above all other...
  3. free hierarchical note taking app for Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    free hierarchical note taking app for Win10?: Up until recently, I was using a netbook with Linux. I had a program there, TuxCards, which was basically just a simple hierarchical notepad. Nothing fancy, just text with basic formatting. I'm looking for something similar (and free) for Windows. The only thing google gave...
  4. One note notes disappeared

in Microsoft Office and 365
    One note notes disappeared: All of a sudden my One note notes are gone. When I access One note ny notebook "Allan's Notebook" is there. When I click on it the contents image appears ever so briefly and disappears. I had a lot if important notes in it. The backup folder in One drive shows nothing. All I...
  5. [solved] Cortana's "Take a note" doesn't save note

in Cortana
    [solved] Cortana's "Take a note" doesn't save note: Cortana's "take a note" crashes after a note is either spoken or written. The screen below just closes instead of presenting me with the screen "Here is your note" and the symbol of onenote besides it. As a result, the notes aren't being saved in any onenote notebook. I've...
  6. Cortana's "Take a note" doesn't save note

in Cortana
    Cortana's "Take a note" doesn't save note: Cortana's "take a note" crashes after a note is either spoken or written. The screen below just closes instead of presenting me with the screen "Here is your note" and the symbol of onenote besides it. As a result, the notes aren't being saved in any onenote notebook. I've...
  7. Help| note taking app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help| note taking app: Hi recently i bought an surface pro and im a student im using an onenote 2016 but this app have few problems i even bought the gem add in but its not helping im looking for app like notability its only for ios the biggest problem in onenote for me is i cant edit a pdf that i...
  8. Sticky Notes application.

Sticky Notes application.: I keep having Sticky Notes pop up and don't want to use it. How can I uninstall or stop Sticky Notes (running Windows 10) - since it does not appear as though I have that option within Settings?...
  9. 8Gadget Users Take Note

8Gadget Users Take Note: The "Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)" issued 12/29/2015 breaks the 8Gadgets from 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7 that have been working fine since Windows 10 was released. (The...
  10. Looking for a simple note taking app that syncs between pc and android

Looking for a simple note taking app that syncs between pc and android: Hi All, Can someone please give me some recommendations for a simple note taking app, that syncs between my Android phone, tablet and my Windows 10 pc? Evernote only syncs between 2 devices now, and it's too complicated for my simple needs. Any recommendations would be...