Windows 10: Nothing connects to internet except browsers

Discus and support Nothing connects to internet except browsers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am running Windows 10 and the wifi indicates it is connected and webpages load on both chrome and edge, however no other app connects to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AxelMars, Feb 17, 2020.

1. AxelMars Win User

Nothing connects to internet except browsers

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 and the wifi indicates it is connected and webpages load on both chrome and edge, however no other app connects to internet, not even Windows Update. Other apps that don't connect are Epic Games, Steam, and Nvidia GeForce client.

Help will be much Appreciated,

Thanks

:)

AxelMars, Feb 17, 2020
  2. ps957 Win User

After upgrading to windows 10, internet connectivity drops frequently for some applications, but not all

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. My answers are interleaved with your questions.

• In which browser are you facing this issue e.g. Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer?
    Multiple browsers: Chrome, Explorer, Firefox

• Do you get any error message?
      • In Chrome, I get "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" as the error message
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?
      • Yes. It is continuously getting updated.
    • Do you face connection fluctuation in Ethernet connection?
      • No. The internet connection is a solid 40Mb downlink. The same problem occurs when I'm hooked to a different internet service provider.
    • Is the issue specific to any particular website?
      • No, it occurs when I'm accessing multiple web sites. It is not related to any web site.

I suggest you to try connecting to Ethernet connection and check if face same issue.

The problem occurs when I'm using wired ethernet, an internal wifi card, or an external wifi usb dongle.

Also install all pending Windows updates I.

I just checked it . It is up to date.

Further you can refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

I'm not going to spend time on these other steps, since as I mentioned it occurs on multiple browsers, and it is not tied to Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, unless you give me a good reason to do so.

Thank you.

ps957, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Unable to connect to internet on browsers except for Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Nad,

Thank you for replying with the error messages received on trying to connect to internet on different browsers.

Please reply, did you try performing System restore as suggested in the above post?

If haven’t tried performing System restore, flush your PC’s
    DNS cache by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved. Performing the below steps will clear DNS cache from the computer and renew the IP configuration set on the computer.

• Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      from the context menu.
    • Type the following command and press Enter after each entries:
      • ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns
      • ipconfig /release
      • ipconfig /renew
    • Close the windows and check if the changes are effective.

If the above steps does not resolve the issue, perform
    System restore by following steps mentioned in the above post and check if it helps.

Write to us with the status of unable to connect to internet on other browser except for Edge on the computer
    for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Nothing connects to internet except browsers

After upgrading to Windows 10, Edge is the only app that can connect to the internet

Hi ,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

With the issue description it seems like Edge is unable to connect to network.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Set Internet Explorer as default browser

I suggest you to set Internet Explorer as default web browser and restart the computer and see if it helps.

Disable Proxy

Sometimes using proxy to connect to the internet may cause issues while connecting to the network.

Follow the steps below to disable proxy:

• Press “Windows Key” + “R”.
    • Type “inetcpl.cpl”.
    • Go to Connection.
    • Click on LAN Settings.
    • Check the box which says Automatically detect settings.
    • Uncheck the box under Proxy server.

Run Internet Connection Troubleshooter

Though you are able to use internet, there could be some problems or some settings which could have stopped Windows services to connect to the internet.

I suggest you to run the Internet connection troubleshooter to fix such issues, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type Control
    • Click on Troubleshooting
    • Click on Connect to the internet
    • Click on Next and follow the On-screen instructions

Hope this helps, get back to us if you need further assistance.

Sahil Bali, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

Nothing connects to internet except browsers

1. Nothing connects to internet except browsers - Similar Threads - Nothing connects internet

2. nothing is opening in pc except browser.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nothing is opening in pc except browser.: i was following a tutorial online to fix my window not updated but i mistakenly made some changes in registry editor, now nothing in my pc is opening except browser, whenever i try to run scan or something it says access denied, when i try to open file explorer it says window...
  3. nothing is opening in pc except browser.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    nothing is opening in pc except browser.: i was following a tutorial online to fix my window not updated but i mistakenly made some changes in registry editor, now nothing in my pc is opening except browser, whenever i try to run scan or something it says access denied, when i try to open file explorer it says window...
  4. nothing is opening in pc except browser.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Connected to the internet, but no browser will load

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connected to the internet, but no browser will load: I'm running windows 10 on a Lenovo ideapad y700. Yesterday while I was on a call, the video froze and the website wouldn't load anymore. Since then none of my browsers (google chrome, opera, and edge) will work, they just display a blank page and load forever. I updated my...
  6. Connected to Internet but nothing loads

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected to Internet but nothing loads: So I was playing mc and running discord, connected to the internet through Ethernet when suddenly my display froze and nothing responded. So I forced shut down and booted it back up thinking it'll be fine. But when i loaded discord it said 'retry..' , opendes chrome to...
  7. All internet browsers except for Edge not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All internet browsers except for Edge not opening: I've been running into an issue very recently where every browser on my desktop Firefox, Brave, and Chrome has failed to open barring Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. So far I've tried manually opening these browsers from my shortcuts, from the task bar, and from their...
  8. NO BROWSER CONNECT EXCEPT MICROSOFT EDGE

NO BROWSER CONNECT EXCEPT MICROSOFT EDGE: After updating Windows to version 1803, my browser Opera stop to work, then I installed Chrome and Firefox to check, bu the only browser working is Edge. When I open a site in Opera it doesn't work, but after I open the same site in Edge, then it opens in Opera also....
  9. Nothing can connect to the internet except Edge

Nothing can connect to the internet except Edge: So I got a new computer and whenever I try to access anything that isn't Edge it won't work. This includes Steam and Google Chrome. It is Really annoying as I can not use anything except Edge. I tried using netsh commands (as a administrator) but to no avail. Did anyone have...
  10. Connected to WiFi, but no Internet connection, nothing helped

Connected to WiFi, but no Internet connection, nothing helped: Hi, My computer shows that I have WiFi connection and that I am connected to the Internet, however I am not able to load any web pages. When I run problem solver tool, it either finds 'bad gateway problem' and fixes it, or doesn't find anything at all. Then the internet...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nothing but internet browser can connect to internet