Windows 10: Nothing in Windows Recovery Mode (WinRE) is fixing my PC

Discus and support Nothing in Windows Recovery Mode (WinRE) is fixing my PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A couple of weeks ago my Alienware 17 stopped working after turning it off and on and connecting it to a dedicated external graphics card (GTX 970).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ryan Rivas, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Nothing in Windows Recovery Mode (WinRE) is fixing my PC

A couple of weeks ago my Alienware 17 stopped working after turning it off and on and connecting it to a dedicated external graphics card (GTX 970). Didn't try to fix it for a while because school was starting, but now I'm having problems. Now on boot up it gives me the messages "Preparing automatic repair", "Diagnosing PC issues", and "Attempting to Fix", but is unable to and directs me to WinRE.

In the troubleshooting menu I've tried:

-Resetting PC (Both with files and complete reset of both drives and also single drive I keep Windows 10 on), which got up to around ~20% before failing

-System Restore, but unfortunately I don't have a restore point

-System Image Recovery, but my computer doesn't have a DVD drive. I suppose I could try a USB with the correct files? Would be great if someone could direct me to those files

-Startup Repair, Windows wasn't able to fix any of the problems

-Go Back to Previous Version, Windows said it ran into a problem going back to a previous version

-Use another Operating System, Which doesn't work

-Safe Mode bootup (with and without Network), no luck

-Startup Settings such as: Low Resolution, Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, Disable Early Launch Malware Protection, Disable Automatic Restart After Failure, Enable Debugging, all also no luck because computer wouldnt start up in the first place.

Does anyone have any ideas? It would greatly appreciate it and give praise for any viable suggestions. I use this computer for computations and gaming, which is like half of my days sometimes lol.

:)

Ryan Rivas, Sep 17, 2019

2. Unable to boot the PC stuck in WinRE mode

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it can be when the PC doesn’t work the way it is supposed to. I appreciate your effort in trying to resolve the issue by performing troubleshooting steps. For better understanding of the issue, please
    respond to the questions below:

1. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    2. Do you receive any error code when you try to boot the PC normally?
    3. What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried?
    4. What is the error you receive while performing reset?
    5. What was the result of automatic repair?

Meanwhile, you can try removing any external devices connected to the PC and check if you are able to boot the PC.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try booting the PC to safe mode and check if that helps.
    Refer the article
    Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    . If the PC is working fine in safe mode, perform a clean boot being in safe mode environment check.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot
    on the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note:
    Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Try troubleshooting startup issues. You can refer the article on

troubleshooting common startup issues
    and see if that helps.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be
    lost.

If you have an external hard drive, you can take the backup of the data by following the steps mentioned below.

1. Open command prompt window by following the article

troubleshooting common startup issues
    2. On the command prompt window type,
      notepad.exe and hit enter.
    3. Now click on File
      and click Open…
    4. On the Open file window, click on
      This PC
    5. Now navigate to the location
      C:\Users\UserName\
      select the folder that you want to backup to the external drive.

Note:
      To see all the files on the Open dialog box, change the
      files of type
      to All files.

6. Right click on the file/folder
      and select Send to and select the external hard drive.

If the issue persist, please get back to us with the result of troubleshooting steps to assist you further with the issue.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Unable to boot the PC, stuck in recovery mode screen​

Hi Joe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to boot the PC normally as it is stuck in recovery mode.

1. Were there any recent updates installed on the PC?
    2. What is the exact make and model of the PC?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Boot the PC into safe mode with networking and check if you are able to login. Refer the article to

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    , refer the section
    From a black or blank screen.

Method 2:

Perform a system restore to revert the PC back to the state when everything was working fine. Refer the article

Recovery options in Windows 10
    , refer the section
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.

Note:
    Do not reset the PC; resetting the PC will remove all the data and installed programs from the PC.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Nothing in Windows Recovery Mode (WinRE) is fixing my PC

Cannot login to pc. No connection.

Hi,

Failure to log in using your password in Windows means that the user profile can be corrupted. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger
    safe mode through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) option and create a new user account. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Improper shutdown process
      • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
      • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the
        Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click
      Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the
      F4
      key to start your computer in safe mode.

Once you were able to access safe mode, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link on how to create a local user or administrator
    account in Windows 10. By doing this, we may identify if this is an account related issue. The link also contains all the necessary information including the step on how to set up a new account in Windows 10.

Give us an update with the outcome.

Sher Amo, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

Nothing in Windows Recovery Mode (WinRE) is fixing my PC

1. Nothing in Windows Recovery Mode (WinRE) is fixing my PC - Similar Threads - Nothing Recovery Mode

2. Unable to Turn-Off Airplane Mode from WinRE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Turn-Off Airplane Mode from WinRE: Win 10 ver 1803(os Build 17134.1) I made an inadvertent error. I was running a rootkit scan in safemode and rebooted; without remembering that I was on Airplane mode and I am preset to login with a Microsoft Account. Duh! Now I am stuck in computer getting me to a login...
  3. Winre on my Win 10 isnt working after a system restore. Possible to fix WinRe, or do I need...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Winre on my Win 10 isnt working after a system restore. Possible to fix WinRe, or do I need...: Hey My system works perfectly! However, a while ago, I needed to do a system restore. And since then, my WinRE isn't working. And what I can read, the directories and files, are not where they should be. I had just performed a Repair windows upgrade with a Windows ISO....
  4. Recovery mode

Recovery mode: I have a Samsung notepad running on Windows10. When switching on it's not booting up into windows, it's telling me to press f4, then taking me to recovery mode. This laptop has all my pictures saved on it and I don't want to loose them! What should I do?...
  5. Locked out of pc, stuck in winre

Locked out of pc, stuck in winre: Hi, so a few days ago when i was using my device I ran into a bluescreen error. After it restarted, it came up with advanced repair options. I have tried all of them, including resetting my pc, which didn't work. I couldn't system restore and now I cant get into safe mode. I...
  6. Nothing windows 10 related is working on my pc

Nothing windows 10 related is working on my pc: I recently factory reset my computer do to performance issues. When I came back the next morning I realized by start button nor my search bar was working. I tried to reset it another two times and nothing but the same issues occurred. My internet explorer wont even open and I...
  7. recovery mode windows 10

recovery mode windows 10: I'm trying to repair my windows 10 computer after it went to the recovery mode screen. I don't have a windows 10 installation DVD so it's stuck on that screen until I fix it. If you guys can help me I'll be so happy. Please respond soon....
  8. BSOD When accessing WinRE/USB Recovery Drive

BSOD When accessing WinRE/USB Recovery Drive: Currently, my system seems to be running fine. I get no crashes during regular operation, all drivers have been updated, and yeah, life's great. I was trying to setup recovery media (USB Recovery Drive), and while the drive configured without error, when I attempt to boot...
  9. Questions regarding the Windows Recovery Environment partition (WinRe)

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions regarding the Windows Recovery Environment partition (WinRe): These questions may be plainly obvious to many. However before now I have never copied partitions to a new drive and am approaching all of this from a position of ignorance. I recently installed a 250gb mSata SSD into my laptop meant to boot the operating system while the...
  10. WinRE partition on Windows 10.

WinRE partition on Windows 10.: Hi to all!!! After my motherboard failure I have got a new computer!!! It is an assembled computer designed by me. A store did the operation of assemble it. They installed Windows 10 too. Now observing my hard drive (2000GB) with EaseUS I see 878.91 GB of unformatted...