Windows 10: Nothing is saved after reboot

Discus and support Nothing is saved after reboot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, Since a few days ago I have been experiencing a few bizarre symptoms on my Windows 10 PC. It started with a BSOD with stop code... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TY5678, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TY5678 Win User

Nothing is saved after reboot

Hello,

Since a few days ago I have been experiencing a few bizarre symptoms on my Windows 10 PC. It started with a BSOD with stop code MEMORY_MANAGEMENT when I play video games. The BSOD occurs typically within 10-30min of me starting the game, and varies each time. The BSOD only occurs when I play game, but not when I'm browsing the Internet, watching video, or doing anything else on the PC.

I then noticed that occasionally when I try to run something, say an application or a browser, it would look like it's loading briefly, then nothing would happen. This usually doesn't happen right after restart, but after I have done a few things first.

Then I realized I can no longer save or delete any data on my PC. Every time I restart my computer, all files I have saved disappear and all files I have deleted return. I also noticed that when I open my browser after a restart, regardless of what state it was before, it would always show a message that says it wasn't shut down properly, and when I recovered the tabs it's always the same ones from a few days ago.

I have tried various tips and suggestions on the web, but nothing has worked for me so far:

- tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, I would select restart and perform check, and the PC would restart normally without the diagnostic check

- tried the System File Check sfc /scannow, the scan would finish and say that a corrupted file has been repaired, but when I restart it would be as if I never ran it

- confirmed I'm not on a guest account, and there is no temporary file folder when I go to my /Users folder

- my graphics card and hard drives appear to all have the latest drivers

- I've gone as far as attempting to Reset the PC under Windows Recovery options. Before I proceeded with it it showed me the list of applications on the PC that will get uninstalled. I proceeded with it, it performed the "uninstalls" and restarted the PC, and everything is still there as if I never did the reset.

At the point I am out of ideas of what else I can attempt. If anybody has any suggestions on how else I may troubleshoot this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

:)

TY5678, Jun 4, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 5, 2020
  3. web pg saving

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if webpage is not saved properly.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "1 suggestion was ctrl s the n ctrl a", how exactly have you tried to used the keyboard command for saving the webpages?

I suggest you to follow the steps to save the webpage on the computer and check if it helps.

1. Open the Microsoft Edge browser.

2. Right click on the webpage link and then click on Save target as
    and then save the webpage.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Nothing is saved after reboot - Similar Threads - Nothing saved reboot

2. Files, favorites, saved desktop, saved Word docs, downloads all gone after rebooting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files, favorites, saved desktop, saved Word docs, downloads all gone after rebooting...: Earlier today after my usual check of email, FB etc, , I attempted to put the laptop to sleep but the curser froze. After ten minutes of waiting for something to work, I shut the laptop down by pushing the power button. Upon restart hours later I find that my entire saved...
  3. Help with programs resetting and not saving settings after reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with programs resetting and not saving settings after reboot: For QUITE a while now, I have had the strangest issue on my PC (running the latest version of Win10) where certain programs reset themselves whenever I restart/shutdown my PC. It's not that these programs necessarily reset themselves, but it's as if they're stuck in some...
  4. App volume and device preferences not saving after reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App volume and device preferences not saving after reboot: Hello everyone. I would like to ask for some help regarding windows 10 "App volume and device preferences", as it is not retaining the configuration I set nad it gets sort of lost after the restart. the thing is that I use various channels for my pc's sound (voicememter...
  5. Reboot forgot to save .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reboot forgot to save .: To whom it may concern .This will be the second time , with in a matter if weeks , forgetting to save my actions . Also I put many copies of , and changed file names . I fixed some file name like my local c drive . I cant get to the many copies and remove them . I bought a...
  6. Save state between reboots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Save state between reboots: Hi all, my laptop runs Windows 10 Pro and I use multiple workspaces (or desktops). I use one for most things, a second one for a course I'm taking on becoming a front-end web developer, and a third one for a eBook I'm going through on programming/machine learning. The second...
  7. Personalising the Start menu doesn't save after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalising the Start menu doesn't save after reboot: Since the automatic upgrade this week for Windows many of my settings were reset including the Start Menu / Task Bar. I have personalised both since the upgrade. The task bar icons stay personalised after reboot. However the Start Menu resets each time. Am I missing a...
  8. Bizarre-Black Screen After Reboot-nothing changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Bizarre-Black Screen After Reboot-nothing changed: Specs 3770k 16 GB ram gtx 960 16226 i have been running build with no issues i was using it tonight. Just rebooted it and get black login screen after the Bootup Nothing changed on my configuration I tried the control P to get cursor and type in password. Cursor...
  9. Power Plan not Saving after Reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Plan not Saving after Reboot: For some reason my windows 10 pro high performance power plan is not sticking when chosen after a reboot or shutdown.It did before.A bunch of windows updates were installed last night that might of done it.My version is Win 10 pro 1607 14393.2007.I noticed restore plan...
  10. Unexplained reboot nothing in event log

in Windows 10 Support
    Unexplained reboot nothing in event log: Wondering if this is a hardware problem or something else (see specs). Machine is on 24/7 and since updating the graphics driver to the latest version from Nvidia as it contains Spectre mitigations I have experienced 1 black screen which lasted for 2 seconds. The other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows did not save any data after shutdown or restart my computer