Windows 10: Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button.

Discus and support Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 and have been since it was first released. This morning I was playing a game, and my sound stopped working, so I rebooted my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RejectedNacho, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button.

I'm running Windows 10 and have been since it was first released. This morning I was playing a game, and my sound stopped working, so I rebooted my computer to see if that would fix it. It fixed the problem, but I had no icons pinned on my taskbar, no time & date, and the search and start button would not work. After hard-booting the computer for a second time, there was still nothing. When I open a program the icon doesn't show on the taskbar. Help please??

:)

RejectedNacho, Jan 1, 2016

2. Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

As I said before, when I right click on the Taskbar, there is no option with the word Search in it. I can't click on Search if it is not available.

When I right click on the Taskbar here are the options in the drop down box. Toolbar, Cortana, Show Task View Button (there's a check mark in front of the Show Task View Button), Show Touch Keyboard Button, Cascade Windows, Show Windows Stacked, Show Windows
    Side by Side, Show Desktop, Task Manager, Lock Toolbar, and finally, Properties.

No Search option. Is there another way to restore the Search area?

rbs-jos2500, Jan 1, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 SEARCH button?

Hi Old Beat Up,

In Windows 10 if you ever need to search for anything, you can simply click your Start Button and begin typing - that will automatically bring up the search box . . .

If you do want the search box back:

Right click your Taskbar and uncheck 'Lock the Taskbar'

Then right click the Taskbar and choose 'Taskbar Settings'

On that settings page turn off 'Use small Taskbar Buttons'

Close the Settings App

Right click your Taskbar and choose Search - 'Show Search Box'

That will bring the search box back . . .

DaveM121, Jan 1, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button.

Assuming RIGHT click at the Start button still working ..............

Right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Jan 1, 2016
  5. I can't right click the start button either.

RejectedNacho, Jan 1, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Restart your computer > do not sign in
    in the sign in screen, bottom right, click the Power icon > one of the options that appears is Restart >
    press Shift key and hold >while still holding, click Restart > click "Restart anyway" if you are asked to confirm the action > wait > click Troubleshoot ..............
    you can select Reset this PC, or > click Advanced options which will give you several options such as System Restore, System Image Recovery etc if they are applicable to you.

davidhk, Jan 1, 2016
  7. vijkanwar Win User
    Did your problem get solved R Nacho?
    I am having a similar problem. Now & then when I start my computer, nothing appears in the task bar, the Microsoft Start button at the bottom left fails to respond to either a left or right click, the Cortana window "Ask me anything" & the Task View are also unresponsive'
    I then restart the computer either by pressing the power button for some time or by the Ctrl/Alt/Delete process. On re-starting everything is fine.
    What I don't know is how to prevent this problem from occurring again.

vijkanwar, Jan 2, 2016
  8. Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button.

I am having exactly the same problem as RejectedNacho. I was able to run Powershell as an admin through Task Manager and pasted the above command as I'd seen it on a number of other forums where this problem is being discussed. Here's what I got.

Deployment operation progress: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\App
    Initialized

Nothing has happened since then and the problem remains.

---EDIT---
    System Restore, via the method suggested above, to the previous windows update (not the most recent one) has fixed things for me.

TotalFuneral, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button.

1. Nothing shows on Taskbar, can't use search or start button. - Similar Threads - Nothing shows Taskbar

2. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  3. Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start, Search, and other Taskbar Buttons Stopped Working: Hello,A couple of months ago, the start button on my desktop stopped working. Search, whether it be from the taskbar or file explorer, doesn't work either. Same thing with the icons at the right end of the taskbar clock, notifications, speaker volume. Clicking on them does...
  4. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  5. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  6. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.: My PC start and search button of the taskbar is not functioning. Whenever I clicked on start and search button, nothing happens, there is no start menu and no search dialogue box on clicking those buttons. However, when I hover on the start and search buttons, they display...
  8. windows 10 start button and taskbar buttons "no-show" nothing happens when clicked

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 start button and taskbar buttons "no-show" nothing happens when clicked: i am confused if virus or malware causes this problem, cause nothing happens if i clicked any taskbar buttons including start. windows is updated but still nothing happens. your opinions are highly appreciated...
  9. Taskbar search button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar search button: How do I add the search button to my taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-search-button/ad27bc58-320c-4371-b764-3d65df762d8d
  10. Ridiculously random death of start and search buttons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Ridiculously random death of start and search buttons on taskbar: Final straw, just booted up and logged in and it's DOA immediately, didn't work once. I have followed advice already on here and other places, and none of it works. I'm thinking 3rd party app, anyone know one that works 100%? It's my final Windows 10 Pro issue after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar search button does nothing