Windows 10: Noticing Irregularities with Windows 10s preinstalled on New Laptop - help please

Discus and support Noticing Irregularities with Windows 10s preinstalled on New Laptop - help please in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; 10 days ago I purchased a new laptop computer from Best Buy in with Windows 10s preinstalled. Since then, I have only used the device to perform... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PolkaZeroLumens, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Noticing Irregularities with Windows 10s preinstalled on New Laptop - help please

10 days ago I purchased a new laptop computer from Best Buy in with Windows 10s preinstalled. Since then, I have only used the device to perform initial set-up, to read news, and to use Microsoft Office apps. The couple times that I've used the device I've noticed the CPU operating at 100% which, as one might imagine has significantly impacted system performance. When exploring Task Manager and System32 I found a few unexpected irregularities which brings me here.

1 I am unable to locate 'Regedit', which if I recall correctly is one of two ways that the registry can be accessed. Historically, Microsoft has placed 'Regedit' in System32. Has 'Regedit' been replaced, moved, or renamed?

2 The month and year applications and driver files were 'Last Modified' in System32 also caught my attention. I did not expect there to be three different dates listed for these files, the most recent being 6/20/2020, twenty-one days ago. Again, I purchased the NEW device running a preinstalled copy of Windows 10s just ten days ago. Short of the device rolling off the computer manufacturer's assembly line, what reason might System32 files be modified ten days prior to purchase?

*The following appeared in this forum's 'Ask a Question' field while typing the above question: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

Taking into consideration that immediately following the initial setup of this device I disabled the services necessary for remote connections in Services as well as unticked the 'Remote Assistance' box located in System Properties I have to assume that someone is accessing this device via a backdoor - either created when changes were made on ten days prior to my purchasing it on 6/20/2020, which would explain why Windows 10s security did not provide the level of security I'd anticipated.

Having never before had to confront this type of situation, obviously created by an hourly paid retail employees, will someone please advise me on how best to proceed?

Thanks in advance for your time.

:)

PolkaZeroLumens, Aug 10, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 10, 2020
  3. SunnyK Win User
    New Laptop Help, Please.

What about MSI GS60 or Lenovo Y50? THey are light, portable and powerful... also both are 15" and in your budget. *Toast :toast:

SunnyK, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Noticing Irregularities with Windows 10s preinstalled on New Laptop - help please

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Noticing Irregularities with Windows 10s preinstalled on New Laptop - help please

1. Noticing Irregularities with Windows 10s preinstalled on New Laptop - help please - Similar Threads - Noticing Irregularities 10s

2. Please help troubleshoot my Windows 11 PC - frequent, irregular crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help troubleshoot my Windows 11 PC - frequent, irregular crashes: Hi all,I've had a recurring issue with my Windows 11 PC when running certain apps. All of a sudden, the screens will go black, and after anywhere from 1-3 minutes, the PC will restart. It is very irregular, but some programs cause it more frequently than others. Frequent...
  3. PC crashes irregularly with and without BSODs. Please help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes irregularly with and without BSODs. Please help.: Hi everyone, I got a major problem with my PC and hope that you can help me with it. The problem: At some time in the past my PC started crashing with BSODs. At first it was only like once a month or so, but recently past 3-4 months the problem became more and more present...
  4. PC crashes irregularly with and without BSODs. Please help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashes irregularly with and without BSODs. Please help.: Hi everyone, I got a major problem with my PC and hope that you can help me with it. The problem: At some time in the past my PC started crashing with BSODs. At first it was only like once a month or so, but recently past 3-4 months the problem became more and more present...
  5. New laptop with preinstalled windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New laptop with preinstalled windows 10: Hi, I recently bought a pre-owned laptop, which was resetted to factory settings so when I switch it on Windows setup begins, the issue being it is in Russian which is not my native language. I could translate the required steps or install a fresh copy of windows, but that...
  6. New laptop with preinstalled windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New laptop with preinstalled windows 10: Hi, I recently bought a pre-owned laptop, which was resetted to factory settings so when I switch it on Windows setup begins, the issue being it is in Russian which is not my native language. I could translate the required steps or install a fresh copy of windows, but that...
  7. New laptop with preinstalled windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Irregularity in laptop functioning.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Irregularity in laptop functioning.: High gpu and CPU usage in idle condition, battery capacity suddenly very low, two unknown exe files running. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/irregularity-in-laptop-functioning/0b048418-a97e-427c-bcf4-26c108bfabcc
  9. Upgrade New Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade New Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10: I wish to purchase a Dell laptop in India. The pre-installed OS offered is Windows 10 Home Single Language. I require Windows 10 Home that is able to load other languages also. How can the OS be upgraded?...
  10. New laptop mishap - Please help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New laptop mishap - Please help: Hi, My new, much anticipated laptop arrived on Wednesday. I bought the Office 365 Personal and McAfee Total Protection with the laptop. On Wednesday evening I started to set up the laptop, entering all the necessary details and connecting to my BT internet possibly where I...