Windows 10: "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working

Discus and support "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I used the Group Policy to select option "2. Notify for download and notify for Install". However, every now and then when shutting down I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ojones, May 10, 2017.

1. ojones Win User

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working

I used the Group Policy to select option "2. Notify for download and notify for Install". However, every now and then when shutting down I get a request to perform Windows 10 updates. Why is this? I wasn't notified about the updates and have no choice about the install. Is this how it works or is there something I'm missing?

:)

ojones, May 10, 2017
  2. vilu85 Win User

" Waiting for approval " until when !????

It means that it's waiting for approval from your operator and it has nothing to do with Nokia.

You could call your operator and ask about this approval, someone in technical service may know that how long it takes to approve the newest firmware. (For some reason, every operator has to approve the firmware updates and only after that their clients
    can do the update)

vilu85, May 10, 2017
  3. ATGT Win User
    " Waiting for approval " until when !????

Hi

i have a nokia N8 with the following product code 059D1M2 im always checking for the update realase , now its been a month evryday i check the updates availability i find " Waiting for approval" is nokia joking on us or what !!?

4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this always works for me (I'm using build 1607, the AU, not the CU -which is your build?).

For what it's worth, I set the option using Winaero's free tweaker, which does just what you've done
    How to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 RTM - Winaero

and I get a notification. I've never had an unexpected restart.

Just wondering, are you using the CU with your connection set as metered?

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  5. ojones Win User
    Hi, thanks for the response. I'm also using build 1607 but don't know what you mean by AU versus CU. My connection is not metered since I'm not using wireless. My understanding is that you don't need the connection metered if you're making the change through Group Policy. If your connection is metered then that's probably why you're not having a problem.

ojones, May 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I don't use metered connections. I had one idea in mind had you been using the CU (Creators' update) and a metered connection, but you're not.
    The AU = the Anniversary update = 1607 = build number 14393.

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  7. ojones Win User
    Oh, I'm using AU then. Here's the full description: v1607 Build 14393.1198. Someone suggested that critical updates might be bypassing the gpedit option. However, I have never been notified of any update.

ojones, May 10, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

The idea of critical updates comes in in the CU. Where people choose to define a connection as metered, which in the AU means no updates (but can cause a problem reported in one case where repeated failed attempts to start downloading the CU were occurring), by contrast in the CU MS WILL deliver critical updates over such a connection.

I've not heard of it in the context of the AU.

I suppose it's possible there's some other setting, or sthg amiss, but I can't think what specifically.

I'd suggest resetting that to default, then try the Winaero tweak method and see if that makes any difference. Can't see why but... what's to lose?

Note: instructions are a bit obscure.. you have to
    a. Check for updates manually
    b. Apply the tweak.
    c. Restart I think?

Without (a) it doesn't take effect.

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  9. ojones Win User
    Just to clarify, I'm not getting unexpected restarts. What happens is that when I shutdown I'm notified that updates are going to be performed. I originally used the Winaero method and I think I did it correctly (including step (a)). At least now I don't have my computer downloading and rebooting unexpectedly while I'm using it. I'm surprised thought that no one else has noticed this.

ojones, May 11, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, the way it works for me is that I do get an action centre notification that a download or downloads is/are available So then I click on that notification to open a dialogue to start the download.

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working [​IMG]

What do you see- the text at the bottom? The GP editor does offer different options.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  11. ojones Win User
    I'm not notified through the action center. This is a capture of my update status:

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working [​IMG]

ojones, May 11, 2017
  12. ojones Win User
    As you can see, my update setting is different to yours. I'll have to go through Winaero again. Maybe I forgot step (a)!

ojones, May 11, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Yep, not set as it should be.... so you've got sthg concrete to aim for.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  14. ojones Win User
    Okay, so I went through the steps outlined in Winaero and I see a problem. They give you a choice between using the group policy editor or, if you don't have a group policy editor, using a registry tweak. I think when I did this originally I may have done both. But here's the problem: I can no longer find WindowsUpdate in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Au. Any idea why?

ojones, May 11, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Here's a reg file from mine to add it if that's any help. (attached)

As to why, sorry, my crystal ball's currently down for scheduled maintenance *chuckle

Why not simply use Winaero's tweak tool? Much safer than hacking the registry. And there's a whole load of other tweaks to explore.
    - remember- check updates, then apply.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
Thema:

1. "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working - Similar Threads - Notify Download Notfify

2. Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?: I've found ways to get Windows 11 and 10 to notify you before downloading updates so you can choose when or if to install them.One method involves using gpedit.msc which doesn't exist on Win11 Home and the other way is to simply add a couple registry keys.QUESTION: does this...
  3. problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...: message sent that Windows 11 was ready for my Dell 3670. downloaded, but failed to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-installing-windows-11-notified-it-was/2f6c4d7c-f542-41a9-b5ca-d9bf4e529033
  4. problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...: message sent that Windows 11 was ready for my Dell 3670. downloaded, but failed to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-installing-windows-11-notified-it-was/2f6c4d7c-f542-41a9-b5ca-d9bf4e529033
  5. An automatic malicious download on laptop without notifying the user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    An automatic malicious download on laptop without notifying the user: Hi! I just want to ask about these malicious download on my laptop. Specifically speaking, it automatically download without notifying. However, with the use of kaspersky I was able to know that there is a malicious things that keeps downloading on my laptop without notifying...
  6. how exactly does the notify before download option work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how exactly does the notify before download option work: i have windows 10 pro build 1809. in my windows updates i have the download and install link for build 1903. i dont want to upgrade to build 1903 now because there are still some issues in it as i know the end of life of build 1809 is may 2020 and it will start to nag me to...
  7. Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working

Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working: I recently bought a laptop with windows 10 pro preinstalled. I wasn't quite sure which default version it came with when i first bought it, however there was the 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)'. Right after I have finish installing the...
  8. Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working: I recently bought a laptop with windows 10 pro preinstalled. I wasn't quite sure which default version it came with when i first bought it, however there was the 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)'. Right after I have finish installing the...
  9. "Notify for download & Notify for install" missing - GPEDIT

"Notify for download & Notify for install" missing - GPEDIT: Recently did a fresh install of Win10 Spring update.I'm accustomed to using option (2) in Group Policy Editor which lets Windows notify me to download updates and notify me to install them once downloaded. However, this no longer seems to be an option as the only thing i can...
  10. Notify Before Downloading?

Notify Before Downloading?: Hi is there anyway of Making Win 10 notify you before downloading & installing updates? Appreciate any help Thx 47792