Windows 10: "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working

Discus and support "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I think me using gpedit and you using Winaero's tweak tool probably accounts for the differences in our update status pages. The hkey may have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ojones, May 10, 2017.

1. ojones Win User

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working

I think me using gpedit and you using Winaero's tweak tool probably accounts for the differences in our update status pages. The hkey may have been deleted because it was conflicting with the gpedit change I made. If I decide to use Winaero's tweak tool, will it conflict at all with the gpedit I did?

ojones, May 11, 2017
  2. dalchina New Member

This is what I find actually configured.

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working [​IMG]

To my surprise, Configure Automatic updates is 'Not Configured'. I had expected it to be 2.

Note that the button in Winaero's Tweaker is effectively a toggle.
    So:
    Check for updates, wait for that to complete; click button.
    Check the text in Settings, Windows Update.

Repeat that and you should see the text change.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  3. ojones Win User
    That probably explains the difference. It looks like Winaero does a better job managing updates than the gpedit option. Thanks for the tip; it's appreciated!

ojones, May 12, 2017
  4. ojones Win User

Update: I downloaded and installed Winaero Tweaker and it doesn't work. At least, I don't get the text "You'll be asked to download available updates" under Update Settings. I also tried with Configure Automatic Updates switched to 'Not Configured' and disabled but they made no difference. We are using the exact same build right?

ojones, May 13, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member

Did you click 'Check for updates' in Settings, and wait for that to complete before clicking the Winaero button?

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working [​IMG]

Also not the 'Reset page to defaults' at the top - that's also a button.
    Try
    clicking 'Check for updates' in Settings
    then 'Reset page to defaults'
    then
    clicking 'Check for updates' in Settings
    then
    clicking the Winaero button

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  6. ojones Win User
    By the Winaero button do you mean "Set Windows Update to notify only" in method 1? If so, then your suggestion doesn't work.

ojones, May 13, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Then your settings are invalid or your Windows is broken in some manner as what should work for you doesn't.

I don't know how you can fix that. Sorry.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  8. ojones Win User

Are you using Windows 10 Home?

ojones, May 13, 2017
  9. ojones Win User
    Well, maybe that's why we have different update settings. You can't compare apples with oranges.

ojones, May 13, 2017
  10. ojones Win User
    I should add that Windows 10 Home doesn't come with a group policy editor, unlike Pro.

ojones, May 13, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Yes, I know. Point is the group policy editor is just a front end to the registry.

What you can do in the GP editor you can do in the registry.

Winaero's tweaker doesn't use the GP editor.

Sorry, I don't know how to help you further on this.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working - Similar Threads - Notify Download Notfify

2. Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?: I've found ways to get Windows 11 and 10 to notify you before downloading updates so you can choose when or if to install them.One method involves using gpedit.msc which doesn't exist on Win11 Home and the other way is to simply add a couple registry keys.QUESTION: does this...
  3. problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...: message sent that Windows 11 was ready for my Dell 3670. downloaded, but failed to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-installing-windows-11-notified-it-was/2f6c4d7c-f542-41a9-b5ca-d9bf4e529033
  4. problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems installing Windows 11; notified it was available for my Dell 3670. downloaded but...: message sent that Windows 11 was ready for my Dell 3670. downloaded, but failed to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-installing-windows-11-notified-it-was/2f6c4d7c-f542-41a9-b5ca-d9bf4e529033
  5. An automatic malicious download on laptop without notifying the user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    An automatic malicious download on laptop without notifying the user: Hi! I just want to ask about these malicious download on my laptop. Specifically speaking, it automatically download without notifying. However, with the use of kaspersky I was able to know that there is a malicious things that keeps downloading on my laptop without notifying...
  6. how exactly does the notify before download option work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how exactly does the notify before download option work: i have windows 10 pro build 1809. in my windows updates i have the download and install link for build 1903. i dont want to upgrade to build 1903 now because there are still some issues in it as i know the end of life of build 1809 is may 2020 and it will start to nag me to...
  7. Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working

Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working: I recently bought a laptop with windows 10 pro preinstalled. I wasn't quite sure which default version it came with when i first bought it, however there was the 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)'. Right after I have finish installing the...
  8. Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Version 1803 remains after reseting+notify download update not working: I recently bought a laptop with windows 10 pro preinstalled. I wasn't quite sure which default version it came with when i first bought it, however there was the 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)'. Right after I have finish installing the...
  9. "Notify for download & Notify for install" missing - GPEDIT

"Notify for download & Notify for install" missing - GPEDIT: Recently did a fresh install of Win10 Spring update.I'm accustomed to using option (2) in Group Policy Editor which lets Windows notify me to download updates and notify me to install them once downloaded. However, this no longer seems to be an option as the only thing i can...
  10. Notify Before Downloading?

Notify Before Downloading?: Hi is there anyway of Making Win 10 notify you before downloading & installing updates? Appreciate any help Thx 47792