Windows 10: Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+...

Discus and support Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ASUS Laptop used by our office administrator to RDP into the accounting system ran an Update on Nov.15th, and when it completed it took forever to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TimothyBleeker, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+...

ASUS Laptop used by our office administrator to RDP into the accounting system ran an Update on Nov.15th, and when it completed it took forever to get a login screen. Logging in took even longer to to a desktop that is blank except for the recycle bin, after getting an error message "Location is not available" - "c:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable...". The Start icon is not usable. I can start Task Manager, and was eventually able to get a version of Explorer started, but only in attempt to add a toolbar to the desktop - it doesn't actually let me open a new window - "An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist". All of the profiles now have blank desktops, including the ones in the Windows.old folder. It's also now unable to connect to the network or interenet - troubleshooter tells me "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter" but can't fix it. The audio device was unable to start, I was able to run the troubleshooter - "one or more audio service isn't running." - fixed.

There is no way to attempt a Recovery or even to attempt a reset.

How do I try to do a System Restore without being able to access the Control Panel or even the command prompt?

This is ridiculous. I'll try to do a factory reset from the ASUS hidden partition (if it still exists).

Seriously Microsoft, WTF?

:)

TimothyBleeker, Nov 20, 2018
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Unable to delete temporary files

Hi Sumit,

Looks like you are running out of storage space, let's walk you through the steps of running
    Disc cleanup for your Windows 10 device.

To delete temporary files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    • Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If the suggestions above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to delete a file

Hi Brent,

There are a lot of possible reason why the issue occurs, we suggest that you access
    safe mode
    and
    delete the files there. If the same issue occur,
    reboot
    your PC and run these following
    methods of troubleshooting
    steps:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel. 

Method 3: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 20, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+...

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

I updated to main computer to the April 2018 Update, AKA Spring Creators Update, and it seems like they've taken a step backward with MKV file support. When I go into the properties of an MKV file on the Fall Creators Update, if I go to the details tab it gives me a bunch of detail about he media file, like resolution, framerate, audio information and bitrate. However, if I go into the same file's properties on the April 2018 Update, almost all of the information is blank, it only gives me a runtime and bitrate.

I really just want to confirm that this isn't just my computer and other's are experiencing the same thing.

FCU:

Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+... fcu-png.png

April 2018 Update:

Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+... scu-png.png

newtekie1, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+...

1. Nov.2018 Update deleted files and drivers - unable to run anything from start, takes 15+... - Similar Threads - Nov 2018 Update

2. Keyboard driver Razerblade 15 2018 not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard driver Razerblade 15 2018 not working: When i got this new laptop the keyboard wasn't working correctly, so i decided to deinstall the driver through device manager. However now i cant install the driver bc i dont find it anywhere on the internet or device manager making the it unusabel. I tried rebooting factory...
  3. Nov 2018 automatic update deletes RAID

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Nov 2018 automatic update deletes RAID: I posted before the holidays and due to travel, did not have a chance to fix before the holidays. Please send me a link to get this OS Booting again. The OS is on my RAID drive. If I need to download a driver for my Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID, please let me know...
  4. Nov 2018 Windows Update & Missing AppData

Nov 2018 Windows Update & Missing AppData: Latest Windows update (Nov. 2018) resulted in a black screen. MS assisted with Custom Reinstall, but PC is now running exceptionally slow & not all of my User data was copied over to the Windows.old file. I am now unable to run anything to try to fix the PC and will likely...
  5. Nov 2018 automatic update deletes RAID

Nov 2018 automatic update deletes RAID: My OS was on my RAID and functioning fine before this November 2018 update. Windows loads into RAM, but cannot find desktop (because it cannot see the OS and the User account profile files). This is maddening why Microsoft will FORCE an update that kills a system. Why can't...
  6. Windows 10 Updates for Nov. 2018

Windows 10 Updates for Nov. 2018: All, when I search for updates, they say they have downloaded and installed and even restarted my computer. When I go to "view update history" nothing shows up. Is this something new? The question I really have is: have my updates been installed and why are they not showing...
  7. Slow laptop due to nov. 13 2018 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow laptop due to nov. 13 2018 update: My laptop slowed down by a lot after the november 13 2018 update. I already reseted it. It's still very slow how do I fix this? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-laptop-due-to-nov-13-2018-update/df965aae-b5ca-4886-9aa4-a13d8aca39d6
  8. Nov. 10 2018 update = BSOD. Help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Nov. 10 2018 update = BSOD. Help!: The latest Microsoft update was forced on my HP laptop last night overnight. Now when i turn it on, i have normal background, touch screen tonlogin and get BSOD. Hitting F4 doesnt help, rebooting several times, i do not fet a safemode option. Just BSOD every time. Help!...
  9. Windows 10 Update issue Nov 7, 2018

Windows 10 Update issue Nov 7, 2018: I recently had an issue when updating my Windows 10. Everything went through fine save for the important feature update. Here are some screenshots below so you can see the issue. Can someone help me out here? The architecture this system runs is 1706 according to a winver...
  10. Latest Update Caused Computer Unable to Run (Nov)

in Windows 10 Support
    Latest Update Caused Computer Unable to Run (Nov): When I turned on my computer, it started to download the update like it should. I come back to see the computer is off (there was nothing around that could do that so it was the computer) and when I turn it back on I see "Diagnosing Problems" and then "Unable to start" or...