Windows 10: November Win10 Update caused Office 2016 icons and others to disappear

Discus and support November Win10 Update caused Office 2016 icons and others to disappear in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This was a pretty odd thing especially considering the effect. In the normal Startup or on the task-bar the icons for each program are where I put them... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by questorfla, Nov 18, 2015.

1. November Win10 Update caused Office 2016 icons and others to disappear

This was a pretty odd thing especially considering the effect. In the normal Startup or on the task-bar the icons for each program are where I put them and look and work normally.
    However, on my desktop itself, they only show up as white squares. The names are there but the colored pictures are missing for all Office applications and a couple of others but many of the rest are displayed normally.
    If I try to drag one out to the desktop from startup as i normally can, it look fine until I release it. As soon as it hits the desktop, it turns to a white square like the other one ad shows the (2) indicating it is a 2nd copy of the shortcut.
    These odd "blank" icons do work as they should and open the programs they should open. They just don't display normally
    Out of about 20 or more different systems that got the November update this is the only one having this issue, a DELL Laptop. My call to Dell Tech support only gave me the solution of a full System Restore which is a bit overkill as all I need to know is why the icons don't display properly on the desktop. Nothing else is wrong, everything works fine.

:)

questorfla, Nov 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 Taskbar Issue

In my case it's the File Explorer icon that intermittently disappears and reappears from the Taskbar. I am unable to identify what causes the icon to disappear, but I can make it reappear in one of two different ways:

1. Click on the "Show hidden icons" arrow in the System Tray.

2. Close Microsoft Office 2007. Restarting Office doesn't cause the icon to disappear, but it will randomly disappear later, whereupon either clicking on "Show hidden icons" or closing Office will cause it to reappear.

That's as close as I can get so far to diagnosing the problem.

Bill Pierce, Nov 18, 2015
  3. Frequent bsods

Did you purchase Win10 or...?

Did you know that you've not installed any cumulative security updates since you installed Win10 in November of 2016? [That's not good.]

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 18, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

November Win10 Update caused Office 2016 icons and others to disappear

Yes, it happens especially often to "special" shortcuts that use those non-editable hardcoded paths to target applications. Such shortcuts lose their icons both on desktop and when pinned to Start Menu, displaying a white blank "document" icon instead (the very first icon in shell32.dll). And it happens to regular shortcuts as well. It does not appear to be related to Icon Cache, since rebuilding the cache does not fix it.

In my case it was Miscrosoft Visual Studio that kept losing its shortcut icon.

One workaround for this problem is open the shortcut, click "Change Icon", then manually navigate to the proper icon resource and select the proper icon. That way it seems to stick better.

What appears to be another side of this issue is the problem wit Google-Chrome-generated icons for Chrome Apps (GMail, Keep etc) when pinned to Start Menu. These shortcuts always revert to the default Chrome icon, instead of the dedicated Chrome app icon. Before 1511 it was working fine.

AndreyT, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Thanks and will try that. I noticed another post a little further down where the user fixed the problem by editing some value in the registry. Unfortunately, that is all he posted at the end. No mention of what values were changed to fix the problem. I posted to ask him to please share this information. I wish people would share their findings in a way that would benefit all other than "i changed the registry and that fixed it".
    Jaburmester I think
    Solved Desktop icons not showing - Windows 10 Forums

questorfla, Nov 18, 2015
  6. I found a work-around that does not require any registry editing.

To get a desktop shortcut with the correct icon: Open the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder and make all necessary desktop shortcuts using the ones located there rather than trying to use the ones that fly out in the Start Menu. All the desktop shortcuts I created starting from that folder work and look normal. The ones created from the icons in the desktop START Menu almost always ended up as a blank white square.

When dragged from the Start Menu, these shortcuts lose the information of the location for the icon and default to using ‘shell32.dll’ as the location for the correct icons which is incorrect for all of the Office 2016 programs as well as many of the “specialty” programs where the Icons are stored in custom locations.

When creating a desktop shortcut by using "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" as a starting point, it retains the correct location for the icon every time.

Until I can find something better, this gets the job done in every case like this I found.

questorfla, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

November Win10 Update caused Office 2016 icons and others to disappear

1. November Win10 Update caused Office 2016 icons and others to disappear - Similar Threads - November Win10 Update

2. Can't uninstall Office 2016 - Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't uninstall Office 2016 - Win10: Hi, I can't seem to uninstall Office 2016, when I try I get this error code Error code: 30068-44 (1084) I tried running the uninstall in safe mode and tried the official removal tool but so far no luck. I can't install the new version until this one is uninstalled. Any help...
  3. Office files suddenly disappeared, possible conflict with office 2016 and 365?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office files suddenly disappeared, possible conflict with office 2016 and 365?: HI, A laptop WIN 10, Office 2016, single SSD I'm working had a primary folder on the desktop with numerous folders under it with files inside there, suddenly a few folders and their contents disappeared. In addition, a larger majority of the office files in virtually all...
  4. Office files suddenly disappeared, possible conflict with office 2016 and 365?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office files suddenly disappeared, possible conflict with office 2016 and 365?: HI, A laptop WIN 10, Office 2016, single SSD I'm working had a primary folder on the desktop with numerous folders under it with files inside there, suddenly a few folders and their contents disappeared. In addition, a larger majority of the office files in virtually all...
  5. Office files suddenly disappeared, possible conflict with office 2016 and 365?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. November 2018 updates for Microsoft Office

in Windows 10 News
    November 2018 updates for Microsoft Office: Introduction Microsoft released the following security and nonsecurity updates for Office in November 2018. These updates are intended to help our customers keep their computers up-to-date. We recommend that you install all updates that apply to you. To download an update,...
  7. Office 2016 disappeared after Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 2016 disappeared after Win 10 update: My Windows 10 just did the April 2018 update and now my purchased copy of Office 2016 Pro seems to have disappeared. How do I find all my Office programs?...
  8. Printer disappeared after installation of Office 2016

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer disappeared after installation of Office 2016: Just upgraded Office Products on my laptop to 2016. One of the offshoots is that now my printer (accessed through WIFI off my desktop) is no longer recognized, nor can be found, nor can be installed. Guess I thought that printer access was a Windows issue, not Office...
  9. office 2016 crashing since last office and win10 update

in Microsoft Office and 365
    office 2016 crashing since last office and win10 update: I have office 2016 and windows 10 on both my desktop and laptop. I have just installed the lastest Win10 update and office update when prompted in the last few days. Today I noticed that in outlook, if I click on a calendar invitation outlook just closes. This happens on both...
  10. Duplicate office 2016 icons in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Duplicate office 2016 icons in taskbar: When I pin Office 2016 to my taskbar, then click on it opens a new icon on the taskbar instead of using the one already there. [img] Also, not sure if this is related. But when I right click on this new icon and go to the "tasks" menu with the "New email message, new...