Windows 10: Novice and I recovered my laptop and all my programs are gone

Discus and support Novice and I recovered my laptop and all my programs are gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am novice I recovered (tried to reset) the laptop and all my programs are gone there are some files but no programs am I dead or is there help 62364 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joe Matthew, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Novice and I recovered my laptop and all my programs are gone

I am novice I recovered (tried to reset) the laptop and all my programs are gone there are some files but no programs am I dead or is there help

:)

joe Matthew, Sep 1, 2016

2. all of my programs and files are gone

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to refer the following article Recovery options in Windows 10
    and follow the procedure in the section Restore from a system restore point
    and check if it resolves the issue.

Click on,
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

I hope the information helps. Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 1, 2016
  3. JCTex Win User
    all of my programs and files are gone

i have been running the same desktop computer with windows 10 for over a year. it started acting sluggish and I restarted it, now all of my programs and files are gone, please help.

JCTex, Sep 1, 2016
  4. altae Win User

Novice and I recovered my laptop and all my programs are gone

If you got an image of your system partition(s) you can restore it. Otherwise I'm afraid you have to start from scratch. Always backup your data in case something goes wrong.

altae, Sep 1, 2016
  5. I do not know where to look for an image of the system partitions I have some icons on the desk top amen on the backup

joe Matthew, Sep 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Disk imaging is what is referred to here.

This is where you use a special program (e.g. Macrium Reflect, free/commercial) to make a compressed copy of your disk/partitions onto external storage. The program can update that image with smaller faster runs reflecting only the changes since the first one.

You can then use those images:
    a. to restore your disk/partition/PC exactly as was
    b. as a full backup - you can extract files and folders

This is useful:
    a. if your PC becomes unbootable
    b. if your hard disk fails and you need to put a new one in
    c. if you encounter a snag you can't easily solve and want to go back to before it happened.

Images can also be useful in moving to a new PC.

Sadly too many people- despite the many many times we recommend this here- think about proper backups when it's too late.
    So one for next time..

And of course you can also run scheduled or manual backups to external storage for files and folders. One way is using Windows File History. There are lots of dedicated backup programs around as well.

dalchina, Sep 1, 2016
  7. I will try that today thank you for your help I am very concerned

joe Matthew, Sep 2, 2016
  8. altae Win User

A well known program for creating system images would be Macrium Reflect (there is a free edition). And of course there are lot's of paid alternatives like Acronis True Image, Paragon Backup & Restore...

altae, Sep 2, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    To be clear, much of the above is an explanation - useful for the future so you don't get into this sort of difficulty.

Now you have reset your PC, the content of C: is just Windows, no programs or data.

"When you reset your PC, it will remove everything and reinstall Windows 10 to start over completely with a clean install."

Hopefully you can reinstall the desktop programs you need- dealing with anything you acquired from the Store is easy, as you should just be able to download these again, provided you have signed in with the same details. For desktop programs you will need licenses where these are not freeware.

And hopefully you had backups of your data, or, as is best practice, you kept most of your data on a different partition or disk (and backed up of course).

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  10. I can see the C drive and 4 partitions If I extract them what will I have Would it be everything that was present before my stupid mistake and if so how would I tell what I have extracted to go back where they were before the mistake
    Thanks

joe Matthew, Sep 4, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hello, Exactly where do you see these partitions?

Assuming you are talking about the drive in your laptop, and you don't have a backup, then I assume those partitions relate to a UEFI installation- system, recovery, Windows... maybe a manufacturer's recovery partition...

Now, if your laptop is bootable, then that is what you have, and I'm afraid discussing extracting information from them isn't meaningful as you've reset your PC.

OR
    do you mean you see the partitions in (for example) some sort of backup you created before you reset your laptop?

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  12. I click on the C drive and it shows what I am calling 4 partitions identified as 1 system,2 NFTS Primary,3 Recovry,4 HP tools As you know I have no idea what I am seeing or what they relate to. My prayer is that they somehow can put me back together a hope that is getting much dimmer. Thank you again this must be very aggravating to deal with DUMB

joe Matthew, Sep 4, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I think if you've done a reset, your data should still be there, but any programs you installed will be gone and you'll need to reinstall them. The partitions you see are standard/normal.

EDIT: If you did a reset from within Windows 10, that would leave your data intact. If you did a reset (reinstall) using the HP Tools, it may have put you back to factory condition. I'm not sure which you did.

simrick, Sep 4, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    1-3 are the partitions forming your OS, 4 is I assume a manufacturer's recovery partition, used to set your PC up as bought.

Now you have done the reset, you've lost anything installed and configured, except for any Store bought apps. If you log in with the same credentials, you can download anything you previously obtained from the Store.

Apart from data that you hopefully still have, you are reliant on any backups you have...

What is your operating system version now?
    Press the Windows key + R, type winver. The number will tell you the OS build.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  15. I will look up the version today
    As a hope I do see a 4 year old folder Backup. Scared to go there for nowe

joe Matthew, Sep 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Novice and I recovered my laptop and all my programs are gone - Similar Threads - Novice recovered laptop

2. All of my files and programs are gone!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All of my files and programs are gone!: I turned on my windows 10 computer after a power outage andwhen it restarted it was Windows 7; all of my files and programs aregone. What happened? How can I get Windows 10 and my stuff back? Isit hidden on a partition of my hard drive? How do I access it?...
  3. All my files are gone!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my files are gone!: WHen I was on my Computer on Thursday everything was fine, but when I went on today, I saw my Logitech and my capture files are empty, I didnt do anything and When I clicked on it It says that I needed to connect to network or Insert a disk. PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO...
  4. My audio is all gone.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My audio is all gone.: I recently used AMD cleaner and it got rid of all my audio devices and my Realtek HD Audio Driver. I've looked everywhere on how to try and get them back but I do not know how to get it back still. I know some say Realtek but I cannot enable them [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. ALL OF MY FILES ARE GONE

ALL OF MY FILES ARE GONE: so i turned on my laptop only to see that half the stuff i had is gone the list of stuff that is gone: -all of my personal files dating back to december 2020 -most of my games -my apps -my desktop wallpaper -discord -all of my garry's mod addons 157 files -my puro...
  6. all my stuff is gone!

all my stuff is gone!: yesterday after restarting my computer it had been a while all my stuff disappeared....my desktop background pic was removed to a black screen, icons on my task bar turned into little blank piece of paper icons, file folders on my desktop are gone, lots of programs are gone...
  7. All the files and folders on my laptop have gone??!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All the files and folders on my laptop have gone??!!: So earlier this week my laptop decided it would create me a temporary account when I logged on. I thought I had resolved this by following a tutorial which directed me to go into the command, identify my sin number and then go through redigit to correct the path and delete...
  8. ALL MY APPOINTMENTS ARE GONE!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ALL MY APPOINTMENTS ARE GONE!!: How do i get my calendar back?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-appointments-are-gone/aec41676-a5eb-4f8d-b8c3-5c1a6a1212a2
  9. My Program Folder with all my music is gone! Please help!

My Program Folder with all my music is gone! Please help!: My music folder in my C: Drive under my user name/Music/MyiTunes is gone so I can't access all my music that was saved and being used through I Tunes! Why and how could an entire folder just disappear?? There have been Windows pop ups lately that say entry point to I tunes or...
  10. All the programs in my Start Menu are just gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    All the programs in my Start Menu are just gone.: So, this happened a couple of weeks ago, and me being the most unobservant person on Earth, I didn't notice that half my icons were missing from my taskbar until yesterday. Most of the remaining icons don't work when clicked (they specify a missing shortcut), and when I went...