Windows 10: NOW MSWin will trash your Grub just by booting!

Discus and support NOW MSWin will trash your Grub just by booting! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; You know, I used to think MS were merely incompetent whenever they performed system "updates", in that the updates were just as likely as ever to trash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SusumuKodai, Mar 17, 2020.

1. NOW MSWin will trash your Grub just by booting!

You know, I used to think MS were merely incompetent whenever they performed system "updates", in that the updates were just as likely as ever to trash your Grub bootloader. But ***NOW*** all you have to do is BOOT a MSWin partition!!!!!

Is it AT ALL possible for you to leave the bootloader alone??? If you don't like people using a different bootloader, if you don't like people running a different OS on their system, *TOO BAD*. Suck it up and deal with it. And FIX your breakage, regardless of whether it was malicious intent or gross blatant incompetence.

*****OUR***** systems are NOT yours to do with as you please. Trust me, if a couple of particular apps could be beaten into running under Wine/Linux, there wouldn't even BE a MSWin partition on this system.

:)

SusumuKodai, Mar 17, 2020
  2. Fox34 Win User

GRUB loaded error

When I go to boot suse 10.2 with grub, after the bios checking It just displays; "LI." and stops. It just says LI and stops. I now boot with a install disk, then just choose boot from harddrive and it works. Any suggestions?

Fox34, Mar 17, 2020
  3. APDW Win User
    Well, another set of Windows 10 patches installed, another trashing of my GRUB dual boot System: UBUNTU GRUB FIX

Well, another set of Windows 10 patches installed, another trashing of my GRUB dual boot system, another evening spent repairing it. When is Microsoft going to stop their upgrades destroying dual boot systems?

I know Microsoft don't want anything on my PC except Windows, however you can't always get what you want! If you make me choose between Windows and UBUNTU, you lose!

ADVICE for anyone using Ubuntu in a dual boot system with Win10 on a x64 architecture as a WIN10 patch upgrade WILL wipe your GRUB boot system out.

1) have a UBUNTU boot disk handy. Always!

2) When a Windows upgrade destroys GRUB, use the UBUNTU boot disk and boot up into "Trial" mode (i.e. don't reinstall UBUNTU). You may need to re-order your boot sequence and also ensure that secure boot is DISABLED else this may not work. Booting from dvd
    takes time - be patient!

3) Ensure you are connected to the internet - you may need hard wired connection as wireless does not always come up in Trial mode

4) Open a terminal and download the GRUB repair program:

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair" <CR>

"sudo apt-get update" <CR>

"sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair" <CR>

MB sudo doesn't need a password when you boot into "Trial" mode.

5) When the boot repair program comes up, find your way to the advanced tab aand select "grub installation / repair" option, and follow any instructions given

6) Remove UBUNTU boot disk and reboot to Windows, open a admin enabled terminal (not powershell) and enter:

"bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi" <CR>

you should get a "success" message

7) reboot, and the grub menu should appear. Enjoy!

This works on Ubuntu 14 and Ubuntu 16 LTS coupled with Win10.

regards

Alan

4. snayob Win User

NOW MSWin will trash your Grub just by booting!

Dual boot not reaching windows, but grub detects it

After you move disks, partitions (eventually add/delete partitions) the principle for fixing boot is always:

1. Fix Windows boot
    2. Fix GRUB boot

in that order.

Boot configuration should be such that Windows must be able to boot alone without the help of any other boot loader/manager!

What does Windows 10/8/7 use for booting with BIOS firmware (and MBR style disk):

1. MBR
    2. PBR of active partition
    3. bootmgr on active partition
    4. BCD on active partition

in that order.

A Windows 10 installation/repair USB/DVD can be used to fix boot in this case.

See fix Windows 10/8/7 boot for help on repair steps.

For fixing GRUB you can use a Linux live CD/USB.

Be aware that after a Windows 10 version upgrade/update it possible that Windows will overwrite MBR (overwrite GRUB boot code in MBR)!

Suggestion - use Windows boot manager to dual-boot Windows and Linux.

snayob, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

NOW MSWin will trash your Grub just by booting!

1. NOW MSWin will trash your Grub just by booting! - Similar Threads - MSWin trash Grub

2. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  3. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  4. MICROSOFT YOUR WINDOWS 11 IS TRASH!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MICROSOFT YOUR WINDOWS 11 IS TRASH!: Microsoft, FIX YOU LAPTOP! MY WINDOWS 11 HAS BEEN FREEZING AND CRASHING! I LOST MY JOB BECAUSE OF YOUR LAPTOP! FIX IT NOW! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-your-windows-11-is-trash/b5ddf433-9b3b-4963-a3c6-f0bb51f97021
  5. MICROSOFT YOUR WINDOWS 11 IS TRASH!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MICROSOFT YOUR WINDOWS 11 IS TRASH!: Microsoft, FIX YOU LAPTOP! MY WINDOWS 11 HAS BEEN FREEZING AND CRASHING! I LOST MY JOB BECAUSE OF YOUR LAPTOP! FIX IT NOW! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-your-windows-11-is-trash/b5ddf433-9b3b-4963-a3c6-f0bb51f97021
  6. Boot usbwin10 from grub menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot usbwin10 from grub menu: Currently I have installed Manjaro, but have access to GRUB before loading the OS, my USB is recognized, but it won't boot from it, even if I manually set my boot priority to usb. Is there any way to boot usbwin10 from grub terminal?...
  7. Problem booting windows from Grub

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem booting windows from Grub: I have installed Windows 10 along with Ubuntu in my laptop. Windows is installed on an SSD and Ubuntu on HDD. When I try to boot Windows from GRUB, the following error message appears: error: no such device:D0FA-2FF1 error: disk 'hd1,gpt2' not found Another option gives:...
  8. dual boot menu and gnu grub

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dual boot menu and gnu grub: in windows 10 i got only one os (that is win 10 ) and i still see dual boot menu and when i open my pc it starts from gnu grub please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-menu-and-gnu-grub/e73f0933-cd9e-4cd5-9936-e6d3c3851390"
  9. Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a >

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a >: My Windows 10 won't boot up anymore. When I try to boot up, I just get a black screen with: grub > displayed on it. Above that, it says: Code: Minimal BASH-like editing is supported. for the first word, TAB lists possible commands completions.Anywhere else TAB lists...
  10. Repair Grub booting, there is probably a chance to?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Repair Grub booting, there is probably a chance to?: Translated to English: A problem like pasta That You Can not Do Something AT, you will have to do a reinstall. Error: Unknown File System Input rescuse in one fashion ... grub rescuse I have Win 10 installed Primarily in the beginning of the hard drive and it's Only Win 10 I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 overwrite grub