Windows 10: Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates. What is Microsoft Smoking?

Discus and support Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates. What is Microsoft Smoking? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 'According to Microsoft, Windows 10 has “B,” “C,” and “D” updates—but never “A” updates! These updates are released at different times, contain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hello10, Dec 12, 2018.

1. hello10 Win User

Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates. What is Microsoft Smoking?

'According to Microsoft, Windows 10 has “B,” “C,” and “D” updates—but never “A” updates! These updates are released at different times, contain different things, and are offered to different people. Let’s break all this down...'
    Source: Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates. What is Microsoft Smoking?

:)

hello10, Dec 12, 2018

2. Is it time for Windows 10 already?

For those that don't have the tray notification.

If you don’t think any of these conditions apply to you, and you’re still not seeing the icon, you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

• Open Notepad
    • Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
    REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

• Click File, and then Save As
    • In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

• Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

• Select the folder you would like to save the file to.For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder.Then click Save.

• Open an elevated command prompt.(From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and selectRun as administrator.)

• Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
    The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates. Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Dec 12, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates. What is Microsoft Smoking? :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Dec 12, 2018
  4. JTF195 Win User

Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Variants

Microsoft has publicly stated that

A) Windows 10 will be a free upgrade during the first year.
    B) Windows 10 will be a one-time purchase after the first year.
    C) Windows 10 will be kept up to date at no additional charge.
    D) Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows, and will be updated indefinitely.

Windows-as-a-service means that they will no longer be releasing full versions as they have in the past.
    There is no subscription

Source: The next generation of Windows: Windows 10 - Windows Experience Blog
    Source 2: Introducing Windows 10 Editions - Windows Experience Blog
    Source 3: Gabriel Aul on Twitter

The F.U.D. stops here.

JTF195, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates. What is Microsoft Smoking? - Similar Threads - Has Updates Microsoft

2. What is D Edge C Scheduler?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is D Edge C Scheduler?: I was in the middle of removing some malware in the task scheduler and I noticed this. I can't tell if this is malware or if it's something I shouldn't mess with....
  3. What is D Edge C Scheduler?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is D Edge C Scheduler?: I was in the middle of removing some malware in the task scheduler and I noticed this. I can't tell if this is malware or if it's something I shouldn't mess with....
  4. Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?: Hi all AFAIK there are no solution of this terrible problem which force everybody with new notebooks to spend many hours of their lifes harvesting with the question "what's wrong with my NB???" and to find only the answer "be happy, it is for you convenience!". So, first of...
  5. Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?: Hi all AFAIK there are no solution of this terrible problem which force everybody with new notebooks to spend many hours of their lifes harvesting with the question "what's wrong with my NB???" and to find only the answer "be happy, it is for you convenience!". So, first of...
  6. Windows 10 - Delete partition A & B - what will happen on C: ??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Delete partition A & B - what will happen on C: ??: Im about to install windows 10 from an ISO - to replace windows 8 - problem is I have an A & B partition on there which I was going to use for something else like media & a restore system. When I delete Partition a and b - will this extra space go back into C: harddrive ???...
  7. B S O D after WINDOWS update .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    B S O D after WINDOWS update .: On WED 15-04-2020 after I had downloaded and installed the latest WINDOWS 10 update on my HP PAVILION desktop, all it does is show the infamous BSOD .I have tried nearly everything that has appeared on the blue screen to no avail . I have a USB DEVICE with the recovery...
  8. What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?: I did a Google search and the explanations were esoteric to me. Are repairs to the hard drive done and are the repairs permanent? 131780
  9. Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Now Windows 10 Has C, B, and D Updates: See this link --- https://www.howtogeek.com/398226/now-windows-10-has-c-b-and-d-updates.-what-is-microsoft-smoking/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/now-windows-10-has-c-b-and-d-updates/720fee74-c164-4b12-9afd-eb4234880d13
  10. Microsoft Visual C++ | What is to be done now??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Visual C++ | What is to be done now??: I was installing an auto cad plugin and this showed up. What is to be done now?? Should I downgrade the version??[ATTACH] [ATTACH]...