Windows 10: Npcap Loopback Adapter (Dec 2017 Win 10 Update) interfering with VPN?

Discus and support Npcap Loopback Adapter (Dec 2017 Win 10 Update) interfering with VPN? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Over the last few weeks I have been having endless problems in using my VPN (PIA) via its Win 10 App. The VPN has been informed of the problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by laopa, Jan 16, 2018.

1. laopa Win User

Npcap Loopback Adapter (Dec 2017 Win 10 Update) interfering with VPN?

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I have been having endless problems in using my VPN (PIA) via its Win 10 App. The VPN has been informed of the problem.

I have also noticed that a recent Win 10 Update installed something called Npcap Loopback Adapter. After searching on the Net I can find nothing positive or useful about the Npcap Loopback Adapter. Seems like something designed for Microsoft's benefit that provided nothing for its average user.

So has anybody else had problems with this thing and more importantly is it safe to Disable and or even Un-install.

It does not appear to provide any benefits to me.

Looking forward to some assistance and solving this annoyance.

:)

laopa, Jan 16, 2018
  2. Chris C T Win User

The Npcap Loopback Adapter

I performed this process and found it only disabled Npcap Loopback Adapter.

Chris C T, Jan 16, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    The Npcap Loopback Adapter

If you want to capture traffic inside a local machine, for example, from one service to another service, you'll have a hard time because that traffic isn't being sent over a network interface, so it can't be captured with conventional sniffing tools.

You can only see that traffic if you could, somehow, create an interface on the loopback (127.0.0.1). That's what NpCap (Nmap packet capture) provides. Nmap is the organization that wrote NpCap.

It's not a 'problem.' It's just a tool.

BulldogXX, Jan 16, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Npcap doesn't come from default Windows, it's a promiscuous capture driver "shim" (something that gets inserted into the normal Windows IP stack) for programs like Wireshark to grab IP packets from your network interface so they can be analyzed and displayed. While it may be causing problems, it's not part of Windows per se. As an experiment you could either disable it or uninstall it, and see if that fixes your problems.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  5. laopa Win User
    Thanks for getting back Ed.

I have no idea where the Npcap Adapter came from as I do not use Wireshark. While I do use Glasswire as a GUI for Windows Wirewall but the guys at Glasswire say that the Npcal Adapter has nothing to do with Glasswire.

I have disabled the Npcap Adapter but that does not seem to solve the PIA Windows App problem. Perhaps I should uninstall it to make sure there is no potential interference?

My next candidate may be the TAP-Windows Adpater V9 and I have taken that up with my VPN PIA.

Weirdly while the PIA Windows App does not seem to work anymore after the start of 2018 their Browser App for Chrome based Browsers works perfectly.

I have also updated both Glasswire and PIA to their latest versions.

Checked for any Windows Updates but nothing there.

Onward, forever onward.

laopa, Jan 17, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Npcap (or as I usually call it WinPCap) provides wire-level IP access to all kinds of applications, so who knows how it got there. Try uninstalling it and see if any of your apps quit working as a consequence. It may help fix your problem. Q: is "PIA" a real app name, or is it just short for Pain-In-the-A<youknowtherest>? Just curious!
    If you're not using Npcap, hopefully there'll be no adverse fall-out from taking it out of the picture. Please let us know how this turns out.
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 17, 2018
  7. laopa Win User
    Sorry, PIA is Private Internet Access and is the VPN I use. Mind you the Windows App version is currently being a Pain.

My pennies worth is that something else is causing the problem. Glasswire says it isn't them and npcap has been nobbled but still no go with the PIA Wondows App.

Luckily as I have mentioned the PIA (Private Internet Access) Browser Apps for Chrome based Browsers works.

I'm also still pushing the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 issue as the culprit and hopefully can cross that one off shortly.

I'll get to uninstalling npcap today and will get back with the results.

laopa, Jan 17, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Thanks for following up with this reply, and future replies. I learn the most when I get to see all the steps between problem and resolution. Have a great weekend.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 18, 2018
  9. laopa Win User
    Well what do you know.

Based on discussions and the support from Glasswire I reinstalled Glasswire again with the “clean install” and “reset firewall to default” options checked and voila every thing with my PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN Windows App is fixed.

So, not the VPN's fault but I still suspect that Microsoft was in the background somewhere. Why else did I need to set the Windows Firewall back to its default settings which had worked fine with everything, VPN Windows App and Glasswire until January this year of 2018.

Thanks to the folks of this TenForums and particularly Ed, for their assistance and great support.

My VPN Private Internet Access also did a great job with their support in trying to help me figure this out.

I might ponder on the uninstalling of the npcap adapter a might longer, although it appears not to have been, at least the cause of my problem, whether it provides any benefits is still unknown, as is its origin

In terms of my pursuit of the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 issue as being involved I might hold back on further efforts in that direction as well

laopa, Jan 19, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Iaopa:
    Glad you got it sorted. There are so many interactions in a "normal" Windows install that you will often find yourself wondering how you fixed a problem, even after it's been put to bed. But still, things are working now, so revel in it!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 19, 2018
  11. laopa Win User
    You wouldn't believe it but the exact same thing just happened to my kid's (attending University) Win 10 HP Laptop.

Completed a Windows Update (they are not very proactive with updates, scans, maintenance etc.) and the VPN PIA Windows App no longer worked. Exact same Windows Firewall blocking issue.

Luckily, after spending near on 2 weeks with my desktop and the exact same problem we were able to sort it out in short time.

We can't be the only ones out here facing this problem?

laopa, Jan 19, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Probably not. If your theory is correct, we'll start seeing "I signed up for this forum just to thank you for this fix" messages. Let the games begin! ;-)
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Npcap Loopback Adapter (Dec 2017 Win 10 Update) interfering with VPN? - Similar Threads - Npcap Loopback Adapter

2. NPcap Loopback Adapter Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NPcap Loopback Adapter Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration: Hello, I have tried several fixes for this problem but none are working. I have had this problem a few months before and was able to find a fix for it but on this occasion I cannot resolve the issue.Here is a list of fixes which I have tried:1. I disabled & reenabled NPcap...
  3. Npcap Loopback Adapter removed and new version of it doesn't be installed

Npcap Loopback Adapter removed and new version of it doesn't be installed: I had internet connection issue. In fact, Windows couldn't find WiFi option in Network setting. It did appear WiFi removed as a feature. I googled to find a solution. A solution mentioned to uninstall Npcap and reinstall it. But, after I uninstalled it I didn't know how to...
  4. Npcap Loopback Adapter Error

Npcap Loopback Adapter Error: For a few weeks I've been encountering intermittent connectivity issues on many of the devices in my network. I've finally narrowed this down to being caused by a Npcap Loopback Adapter malfunction of some kind. I've confirmed that npcap is the issue two-fold: 1. Running...
  5. Npcap loopback adapter: what the heck is it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Npcap loopback adapter: what the heck is it?: Hey everyone, I’m a bit confused about something. I think ever since i started putting vms on my laptop (or i had it before and never noticed) I’ve had the npcap loopback adapter instead of something like ethernet card. I’ve googled it and everywhere all it says is it’s...
  6. Npcap Loopback Adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Npcap Loopback Adapter: I see this ethernet adapter with ipconfig command, but it isn't in network adapters. I think it blocks my remote desktop connection, so I want to delete it. How can I do that? submitted by /u/cagini [link] [comments]...
  7. "Npcap Loopback Adapter No internet

"Npcap Loopback Adapter No internet: Suddenly I get message "Npcap Loopback Adapter No internet". Device manager shows it to be the latest, working properly. I have internet through FIOS. I disabled and re-enabled driver, and rebooted wi-fi and I still get message. I never had this driver pop up before latest...
  8. Npcap Loopback Adapter uninstall causes Blue Screen error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Npcap Loopback Adapter uninstall causes Blue Screen error: I want to uninstall Npcap Loopback Adapter but I cant . Every time I try to disable or uninstall it it causes blue screen error. The Npcap Loopback Adapter driver is up to date. I have tried to uninstall it using safe mode but still the same results. Running Windows 10 Pr0...
  9. Npcap Loopback Adapter uninstall causes Blue Screen error

in Windows 10 Support
    Npcap Loopback Adapter uninstall causes Blue Screen error: I want to uninstall Npcap Loopback Adapter but I cant . Every time I try to disable or uninstall it it causes blue screen error. The Npcap Loopback Adapter driver is up to date. I have tried to uninstall it using safe mode but still the same results. Running Windows 10 Pr0...
  10. Npcap loopback adapter isn't working

Npcap loopback adapter isn't working: I don't actually know what this thing is, but it's giving me weird errors. My connection is acting up as well. I've run troubleshooting, and it just keeps restarting this adapter, but it never works Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details Issues found "Npcap Loopback...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. npcap stop openvpn