Windows 10: NTBackup Broke on Windows 10 - since late 2019 ... Now What? SOLUTION/FIXED

Discus and support NTBackup Broke on Windows 10 - since late 2019 ... Now What? SOLUTION/FIXED in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sharing a recent learning... in the hope it saves other people some time. Until late 2019 NTBackup worked without problems on Windows 10. Then an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Antony Upward, Aug 7, 2020.

1. NTBackup Broke on Windows 10 - since late 2019 ... Now What? SOLUTION/FIXED

Sharing a recent learning... in the hope it saves other people some time.

Until late 2019 NTBackup worked without problems on Windows 10. Then an update not sure which one, and the Internet offers different possibilities, broke it.

Thanks to the great post by KlausWolf4 "Problems with NTBackup on Windows 10 Pro" I managed to get rid of the new error message that appeared when starting NTBackup on Windows 10 "The procedure entry point SetCatalogState could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files x86\Windows NT\NTBackup\ntbackup.exe". Be sure to read both parts to Klaus's answer

But then I had another problem. NTBackup would fail to start - but no error message was thrown... either via GUI or in the System Logs...

After *a lot* of hunting I found the answers from A.User - "You will have to use [NTBackup] in compatibility mode." see Catalog a BKF File on Windows 10

For those who don't know... to set NTBackup to run in compatibility mode

1. Find the NTBackup.exe file probably in C:\Program Files x86\Windows NT\NTBackup\
    2. Select it
    3. Choose properties
    4. Click on the compatibility tab
    5. Turn on "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows XP Service Pack 3" in the popup menu

For me NTBackup then magically worked again...

:)

Antony Upward, Aug 7, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Aug 7, 2020
  3. DrewS4 Win User
    NTBackup stopped working on Windows 10 Pro

Hi,

I have been running the ntBackup utility on a Windows 10 Pro box daily for over a year. Yesterday I checked on the status of my backups and found the folder with the backup utility (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows NT\NTBackup) had disappeared. I restored
    the folder but now I receive an Entry Point Not Found error saying "The procedure entry point SetCatalogState could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows NT\NTBackup\ntbackup.exe"

Coincidentally (or maybe not) the backup logs indicate the backups stopped working on the same day (Dec 8, 2019) as the following three MS updates were installed:

- Security Update for Adobe Flash Player

- Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1909 via Enablement Package (KB17245)

- Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB524569)

Before I backout the updates to check if they caused ntbackup to stop working, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has this problems or knows how to fix it.

Thanks,

Drew

DrewS4, Aug 7, 2020
  4. NTBackup Broke on Windows 10 - since late 2019 ... Now What? SOLUTION/FIXED

Fix for Sandbox

Microsoft has acknowledged this issue now:

Windows Sandbox may fail to start with error code “0x80070002”Windows Sandbox may fail to start with "ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND (0x80070002)" on devices in which the operating system language is changed during the update process when installing Windows 10, version 1903.

Affected platforms:
    • Client: Windows 10, version 1903

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in late June.

hsehestedt, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

NTBackup Broke on Windows 10 - since late 2019 ... Now What? SOLUTION/FIXED

1. NTBackup Broke on Windows 10 - since late 2019 ... Now What? SOLUTION/FIXED - Similar Threads - NTBackup Broke since

2. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED no known solution. what now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED no known solution. what now?: last week sometime my pc wasn't allowing me to put it in sleep mode. it would just sit there for 5 minutes and shut itself off. 3 days ago i tried to fix it by using the recovery method. i put the pc to rest and it worked. but then it wouldn't let me use chrome and my icue...
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED no known solution. what now?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED no known solution. what now?: last week sometime my pc wasn't allowing me to put it in sleep mode. it would just sit there for 5 minutes and shut itself off. 3 days ago i tried to fix it by using the recovery method. i put the pc to rest and it worked. but then it wouldn't let me use chrome and my icue...
  4. Microsoft always fixing what is not broke !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft always fixing what is not broke !: Lap top as soon as lid opened photo screen popped up , code was entered and boom within 40 seconds or less I was at home page. So today after an update yesterday when all was working fine ! laptop would not open ringo around and around on black screen that just said DELL....
  5. Microsoft always fixing what is not broke !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft always fixing what is not broke !: Lap top as soon as lid opened photo screen popped up , code was entered and boom within 40 seconds or less I was at home page. So today after an update yesterday when all was working fine ! laptop would not open ringo around and around on black screen that just said DELL....
  6. Microsoft always fixing what is not broke !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. It wasn't broke but now it is...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    It wasn't broke but now it is...: Trying to wrap my head around the problem. So we have an Intranet and accessing was no problem till the new .net preview came along. Installing the new update fixed it but how come it seems when things work and an update comes out some times things just break even though...
  8. Problems with NTBackup on Windows 10 Pro

Problems with NTBackup on Windows 10 Pro: I've had various problems with the hitherto reliable NT Backup utility under Windows 10 Pro. Problem 1 SOLVED: ============= Some months back it failed to start, complaining with the error message: "The procedure entry point SetCatalogState could not be located in the...
  9. Installing Windows 10 on Razer Blade 17" Late 2019

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows 10 on Razer Blade 17" Late 2019: Hi. I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Razer (17" late 2019) from a bootable USB. However, when I click install now, I get a msg about a missing driver ( "a media driver your computer needs is missing..." ). I have scoured the internet for a solution but I cant seem to...
  10. NTBackup stopped working on Windows 10 Pro

NTBackup stopped working on Windows 10 Pro: Hi, I have been running the ntBackup utility on a Windows 10 Pro box daily for over a year. Yesterday I checked on the status of my backups and found the folder with the backup utility C:\Program Files x86\Windows NT\NTBackup had disappeared. I restored the folder but now I...