Windows 10: NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs

Discus and support NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; ...The new bug, which fortunately doesn't appear to afflict Windows 10, uses another special filename. This time around, the special filename of choice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 25, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs

Read more: In a throwback to the '90s, NTFS bug lets anyone hang or crash Windows 7, 8.1 | Ars Technica

Brink, May 25, 2017
  2. zooburner Win User

This was interesting from the article.

As was the case nearly 20 years ago, webpages that use the bad filename in, for example, an image source will provoke the bug and make the machine stop responding. Depending on what the machine is doing concurrently, it will sometimes blue screen. Either way, you're going to need to reboot it to recover. Some browsers will block attempts to access these local resources, but Internet Explorer, for example, will merrily try to access the bad file.

Good ole Microsoft

:)

zooburner, May 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Key missing

This fails to answer the question, Microsoft.

Somewhere in the installation my laptop crashed and rebooted. This destroyed the Windows 8.1 install and left Windows 10 only partially installed - but without the license key!!

What we all need from Microsoft is a page on their web site we can get to that has a key converted from 7 and 8 and 8.1 to version 10 to remedy this issue for everyone.

Thanks.

VikkiDossett, May 26, 2017
  4. NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs

ie 11

After installing Windows 10, I constantly have various web pages cause IE to stop and restart. I can not watch anything without at least 5 crashes per half-hour.

MXYZPTLK G, May 26, 2017
  5. It's very interesting that suddenly all sorts of bugs are being discovered in W7 and the W8 Series.
    It's also very convenient for MS that W10 is apparently immune.

Reading through the comments, only some people can confirm the existence of this bug on their PCs

lehnerus2000, May 26, 2017
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Who is using IE in 2017? *Eek

eLPuSHeR, May 26, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Fafhrd, May 26, 2017
  8. NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs

Me.

alphanumeric, May 26, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    This is nonsense really - there are probably all sorts of obscure bugs but they never affect us except in very rare cases. Anyway who cares if an old OS has obscure bugs - do people expect MS to sort every bug that exists - if so, they will be waiting until Trump gets a decent haircut.

cereberus, May 26, 2017
  10. zooburner Win User
    I like internet explorer, the only reason I don't use it is it's track record when it comes to standards or safety, but I do like the look and feel of it.

zooburner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs

1. NTFS bug can cause web pages to crash Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs - Similar Threads - NTFS bug cause

2. Web Pages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web Pages: HiWhy do i keep seeing page not responding when looking at a website.Little circle keeps spinning.on topTHANK YOU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-pages/5a964af9-02cf-43bf-baf2-a56d037d49d6
  3. Web Pages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web Pages: HiWhy do i keep seeing page not responding when looking at a website.Little circle keeps spinning.on topTHANK YOU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-pages/5a964af9-02cf-43bf-baf2-a56d037d49d6
  4. Web Pages

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. All Web Browsers Causes Windows to Freeze and Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Web Browsers Causes Windows to Freeze and Crash: Hello!I am having an issue recently with my desktop in regards to my web browsers. Whenever I tried opening a web browser, Windows ended up freezing and restarts without any apparent reason. I tried reinstalling Windows and/or Google Chrome, but it still causes Windows to...
  6. All Web Browsers Causes Windows to Freeze and Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Web Browsers Causes Windows to Freeze and Crash: Hello!I am having an issue recently with my desktop in regards to my web browsers. Whenever I tried opening a web browser, Windows ended up freezing and restarts without any apparent reason. I tried reinstalling Windows and/or Google Chrome, but it still causes Windows to...
  7. All Web Browsers Causes Windows to Freeze and Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows crashes when attempting to load web pages

in Browsers and Email
    Windows crashes when attempting to load web pages: Up until a short time ago, I was able to use MS Edge normally, Then, on occasion, it would crash Windows when I tried to access a web page, even though the browser had launched with no messages or warnings. The frequency of the crashes increased until I got fed up and...
  9. KB971033 causing activation issues on Windows 7 Enterprise PCs

in Windows 10 News
    KB971033 causing activation issues on Windows 7 Enterprise PCs: The year 2019 begins like the year 2018 ended for administrators and users running Windows: troublesome. Microsoft's cumulative updates for Windows 7 released on the January 2019 Patch Day caused networking issues under some configurations, and the whole Windows 10 version...
  10. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3.... MS web pages, updated for Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3.... MS web pages, updated for Win10: [img] Support - Windows Help Now recognizes Windows 10 and has content. [img] 9224